Visual Studio 2008 - Install Problems and Solutions
Ok, maybe this has already been blogged about in various places, but I am going to list my steps that were required for me to get Visual Studio 2008 to install properly under Vista.
My previous situation was:
- Had Installed VS2008 Release Candidate
I tried the following when I went to install VS2008 RTM:
- Uninstalled VS2008 RC
- Uninstalled Document Explorer and Web Authoring component.
- Uninstalled every other component that had 3.5 after its name
In all situations, it would fail shortly after beginning the VS2008 install step.
Now I finally got the install to work, so here are my steps that got it working:
- Uninstall Hotfix for Microsoft Windows (KB110806)
- Uninstall Hotfix for Microsoft Windows (KB930264)
- Uninstall Hotfix for Microsoft Windows (KB929300)
- Uninstall SQL Server Compact 3.5 components (there about 3 of them I think)
- Uninstall .Net 3.5 Compact Framework components
- Uninstall Document Explorer 2008
- Uninstall Visual Studio Web Authoring Component
- Uninstall Visual Studio 2008 (RC or Beta 2 - whichever you have)
- Uninstall .Net framework 3.5 (can't remember which step I did this in, but I wanted a "clean" uninstall of everything remotely related to 3.5)
- Restart your machine at the end of all the uninstalls. Note. You will have to restart in between hotfix uninstalls, or at least I did anyway.
Now you can start installing VS2008 RTM and all should be good.
Note: If you get a balloon prompt during the VS2008 install, asking if you want to restart your machine or Postpone it, make sure you Postpone it for a few hours until the install is complete. Then restart at the end of the install.
Thats it. Hope that helps.
Update: I forgot to mention, thanks to Rick Strahl and Julie Lerman on the ASPInsiders tech lists that provided the info.