help.net

Blogs I read

PocketPC

SQL

Usability

We want a better Visual Studio 2005 - Developers it's time to vote

Call to Developers, Developers, Developers:

It seems that an official petition (I still don't like the word but what else can I use) for a VS 2005 Beta 3 exist.

Clint Stotesbery has posted the request on the Feedback Center. Of course I voted and I encourage anyone to do the same!

We need to show to Microsoft that we want not only a good product but something built in respect with all the good faith and energy we put in our projects since three years. In one word we want o be proud of .Net 2.0!

Click here to vote

From the feedback page by Clint:

Problem Statement:
Opened by Clint Stotesbery on 2005-08-11 at 16:30:47

There are still way too many bugs and performance issues. Too many issues get resolved as Postponed. A lot of changes are happenning in the CTPs. I'm guessing not many people are using the CTPs compared to beta 2. Most developers don't have time to play around with a CTP that doesn't have a Go Live license. I'd rather have a good product 6 months from now than a mediocre one in 3 months.

Proposed Solution:

Put out a Beta 3 release at the end of September with a Go Live license for VS Team Suite, VS Standard/Pro, TFS, etc. Push back RTM if you have to. RTM December 31st or push it to 2006 (just keep the 2005 name then, no big deal).

Yes, people will complain about changing release dates but it isn't like this will be the first time. Developers won't care about when the RTM date was a few months after RTM if the product is full of bugs.

Posted: Aug 12 2005, 01:23 AM by help.net | with 7 comment(s)
Filed under: ,

Comments

Clint said:

Everyone feel free to leave comments at the feedback page on why they think there should be a beta 3. I just started the dialog but I need everyone to pitch in.
# August 11, 2005 9:00 PM

Darren Neimke said:

Hi Paschal,

I've always been a metrics guy :-) so, when I see things such as this:

>> "There are still way too many bugs
>> and performance issues"

I have to ask, is there a list somewhere? Especially the performance issues.
# August 11, 2005 9:41 PM

Clint said:

Wow, that's the fastest I've ever seen one of my suggestions/bugs get closed (1 hour 28 min)! Don't let that stop us!
# August 11, 2005 10:54 PM

Frans Bouma said:

Too bad there are 2 things mentioned in the petition:
1) a beta 3
2) fix more bugs and move release date if necessary.

I don't agree with 1) because it will take time to polish up a beta3, which can better be used to fix bugs for the RTM.
I DO agree with 2) though, and hate every second of that cheerio-mode all the marketing puppets at Microsoft are in now. Having a shipdate doesn't mean the product is done at that date. They simply don't realize that having a crappy IDE because a lot is postponed (and will never be fixed, they don't release service packs for vs.net) is very BAD.
# August 12, 2005 3:31 AM

Pawel Pabich said:

I can't find this suggestion on microsoft site, can
reveal link to it ? I agree toooooo many bugs and posponed features.

Pawel
# August 12, 2005 4:34 AM

Balaji K said:

Click on 'Click here to vote,' Pawel.

But, it has been resolved as 'won't fix' already!
# August 12, 2005 6:12 AM

John said:

What a joke. NO PROJECTS??? WTF??
# August 12, 2005 4:24 PM

Vivek said:

Can we have the url on the microsoft site where this is posted. Is it a public url?
# August 15, 2005 5:08 AM

Ron said:

Visual Studio 2005 Beta 1 should be the first major release. Microsoft should be focusing on making VS 2005 Beta 1 solid with minor enhancements. Having a predictable solid product is more important than trying to cram in excessive functionality that is error prone and has performance issues.

VS 2005 Beta 2 features should be changed to VS 2006.
# August 19, 2005 12:09 PM

TOm255 said:

VC++ Express Edition
TODO1: fix the bug with adding new include\libs directories
TODO2: make enable the "DLL Library" function in wizard

Express Editions should be free!!!
# August 22, 2005 4:07 PM