SQL Refactor from Red Gate - FANTASTIC!
Well, Red Gate have done it again, they've come up with another fantastic product!
This time they've addressed and area which has been ignored for a *long time* with a tool which will help you refactor that *horrible* SQL code you crank out on a daily basis.
SQL Refactor is an Add-In to Microsoft Management Studio. Therefore you must have Management Studio installed. SQL Refactor’s features are available from the Management Studio menus, which can access both SQL Server 2000 and SQL Server 2005.
In this release of SQL Refactor you can use the following features:
- SQL Lay Out reformats your T-SQL scripts. You can select this feature from the top level SQL Refactor menu. There are over 30 options to control this feature, these you can access from the top level SQL Refactor menu.
- Smart Rename renames functions, views, stored procedures and tables, and updates all the references to these renamed objects. You can select this feature from the context menu in Management Studio’s Object Explorer.
- Smart Rename parameters and columns renames parameters of stored procedures and functions, and columns of tables and views. You can select this feature from the context menu in Management Studio’s Object Explorer.
- Table Split splits a table into two tables, and automatically rewrites the referencing stored procedures, views, and so on. You can also use this refactoring to introduce referential integrity tables. You can select this feature from the context menu in Management Studio’s Object Explorer.
- Uppercase keywords turns keywords in your script or selection to uppercase.
- Summarize Script provides you with an overview of your script. By highlighting items in this overview you can see the corresponding statements highlighted in your script.
- Encapsulate as stored procedure turns your selection into a new stored procedure, and if requested, introduces a reference to it in your script.
- Expand wildcards expands SELECT * statements to include a full list of columns in the select part.
- Find unused variables and parameters shows you the variables and parameters in you script that are not used, or that are only assigned to.
- Qualify Object Names modifies the script so that all object names are qualified. You can select this feature from the top level SQL Refactor menu.
To install SQL Refactor beta download and execute the installer from: