I finally decided to start playing with the beta of VS 2005. First stop: Get some existing code working. So I take an API that I wrote, complete with unit tests and decide to give it a whirl. First NUnit coughs up a bad image format exception. This was quicky remedied by a Google search and a tript to James Newkirk's blog and I thought I was home free. NUNit GUI comes up, I pick my dll and all the tests appear in NUnit's treeview. As soon as I try to run a test I get this:
"No source code available for the current location."
Illegal cross-thread operation: Control 'suiteName' accessed from a thread other than the thread it was created on.
Stack trace where the illegal operation occurred was:
at NUnit.Gui.NUnitForm.OnRunStarting(Object, TestEventArgs)
at NUnit.Core.TestEventHandler.Invoke(Object, TestEventArgs)
at NUnit.Core.TestEventDispatcher.Fire(TestEventHandler, TestEventArgs)
at NUnit.Core.TestEventDispatcher.FireRunStarting(Test, Int32)
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink._PrivateProcessMessage(IntPtr, Object, Object, Int32, Boolean, Object&)
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink.PrivateProcessMessage(RuntimeMethodHandle, Object, Object, Int32, Boolean, Object&)
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink.SyncProcessMessage(IMessage, Int32, Boolean)
I can't set a break point because this happens before NUnit runs the test so it never gets into the code. I know I have the source to NUnit but I'm not that adventurous to play around with that and VS 2005 - yet. If anyone has seen this and solved the problem please let me know. I am dead in the water without NUnit. I refuse to test any other way. Maybe I am just spoiled!
Last night I bought Norton Systemworks 2005. I had 2003 on my laptop and figured it was time to upgrade since they weren't supporting it anymore. When I tried to run their live update I always got an error updating the common client and their site said something about it not being supported.
I followed the instructions and it removed 2003. 2005 starts installing and gets to the common client and I get this error:
Error 1722 An error occurred while performing the task. There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected.
So I try it again and get the same. I search the site and find that they are aware of this as of Nov 5th but have no resolution. Now I have nothing on my machine. Looks like I'll have to go back to 2003 but I'm not sure it will work.
If anyone has a workaround please let me know.