Tuesday, January 20, 2009 1:15 PM Kazi Manzur Rashid

Introducing DotNetShoutout.com

DotNetShoutout is a Web 2.0 style social news site for .NET developers running on our open source project KiGG.

Background

KiGG was started as a fun project to get familiar with the new ASP.NET MVC framework and with no exception I started to hear terms like DDD, BDD, SOLID, DRY, Law of Demeter, Testability etc etc which brings me a new world of learning. I found, following alt.net community is the best way to lean these stuffs, I followed them (and still doing) ruthlessly over the blogs, twitter, podcast, discussion group etc. The latest release of KiGG is the outcome whatever I have learned from them in these days.

Goal

My goal was to implement a very loosely coupled application with MS supported technologies following the Domain Driven Design. It is developed with:

• ASP.NET MVC Beta
  • Linq To SQL
  • MS Patterns & Practices – Enterprise Library (Logging & Caching)
  • MS Patterns & Practices – Unity

• MarkItUp Editor

What’s new in v2.0

1. OpenID integration.
  2. Web page thumbnail.
  3. RSS/Atom.
  4. Captcha.
  5. Rich Story/Comment editor via Markdown.
  6. Both internal and external spam protection (Akismet, TypePad and Defensio) .
  7. Url shrinking.
  8. Sitemap including standard, mobile (Google only), news (Google only).
  9. Open Search.
  10. Mircroformats hAtom, hReview, hVote, xFolk etc.
  11. Karma point system for Users.
  12. Easy sharing with MSDN social, delicious, facebook and twitter.
  13. Vote Counter with customization (Check the bottom of this post).
  14. Live Writer Plug-in.
  15. BlogEngine.NET Extension.
  16. Both Community Server ICS Module and Graffiti Chalk.

Why DotNetShoutout.com

DotNetShoutout is like eating one’s own dog food. Since, it has all these nice features and the controversies that are around with our primary source of .NET story, we decided why not run a site for our own community that solves these issues and keep you informed with the latest happening of .NET world. So dear reader, I am inviting you in the public beta release of DotNetShoutout.com. Please, tell us what you like, what you do not like, what you think can be improved or added. We are still working on some of the cool features which will be available in 1/2 weeks.

And I will be also blogging about the technical side of this project in coming days.

To end this post, I just to share with you that I have been again awarded as MVP for year 2009.

Long Live .NET!!!

Shout it
Filed under: , , , , , ,

Comments

# re: Introducing DotNetShoutout.com

Tuesday, January 20, 2009 3:47 AM by Pradeep Kumar Mishra

It's really a nice application. Why don't you publish an article on explaining the design and architecture of application. I mean the thought process involved in developing such application. It will help a mvc newbie like me a lot.

Thanks

Tuesday, January 20, 2009 4:48 AM by Kazi Manzur Rashid

@Pradeep Kumar Mishra: Yes articles are coming up, just keep an eye one my blog.

Tuesday, January 20, 2009 4:57 AM by Kazi Manzur Rashid

@maartenba:

Glad that you liked it.

You can either use OpenId or regular signup. But using both will not treat you as a same user. Though we have plan to merge accounts in future.

Sure you can have the counter code. Just click the (more) link at the end of the description. then click the show counter code link(right after the source) a panel will drop down where you can customize the counter.

We have also have the Live Writer Plugin which you can use to automatically add the counter in your blog's post. Also there are few extension/plugin for the popular blogging platform. Just check the Codeplex download page.

Tuesday, January 20, 2009 5:32 AM by mosessaur

Welcome back Kazi, and I want to say that DotNetShoutout really deserve to be one of the best communities about DotNet.

My recommendation to all, Get the lastest code and view one of the most testable and clean code you might ever seen

Good job

Tuesday, January 20, 2009 5:37 AM by Kazi Manzur Rashid

Thanks Mossa for the complement.

Tuesday, January 20, 2009 6:45 AM by naspinski

Fantastic site, has already helped me promote my new Open Source project! (http://slick-ticket.com)

I will be a regular for sure!

Tuesday, January 20, 2009 7:09 AM by Praveen

Nie work man. Thanks from the community.

Tuesday, January 20, 2009 7:21 AM by Kazi Manzur Rashid

@naspinski & @Praveen : Thanks.

Tuesday, January 20, 2009 10:34 AM by Will Strohl

How about a blog post outlining why we should use this site over DotNetKicks. Consider me among the ignorant who need it spelled out for us...  ;)

Tuesday, January 20, 2009 11:16 AM by aspevia

Yikes!  Giving me a lot of yellow screens right now.  Otherwise I love the project!

Tuesday, January 20, 2009 3:03 PM by aspevia

If I go to dotnetshoutout.com, everything is OK.  But if I try to log in with my openid and/or submit a story, I get an error and then I cannot even go to the home page anymore.  I think something is wrong with the session

Tuesday, January 20, 2009 3:36 PM by Kazi Manzur Rashid

@Will Strohl : I will be blogging the whole thing in coming days, just keep an eye on my blog.

Tuesday, January 20, 2009 3:39 PM by Kazi Manzur Rashid

@aspevia: Let me check and get back to you.

Tuesday, January 20, 2009 4:37 PM by Kazi Manzur Rashid

@aspevia: I just found some exceptions in the log and fixed it, would you pls check it out and let me know.

Tuesday, January 20, 2009 8:28 PM by Bart czernicki

The site is obviously self promoting and dnk ripoff.  It's fine if u want promote open source projects organically.  Except when I see stories with more shouts/kicks than the story has been viewed something is being rigged :)

Wednesday, January 21, 2009 12:51 AM by aspevia

So I've tested this and verified as repeatable.  Here's the scenario.  If I log in with my open id like this: username.myopenid.com, it works.  However, I have my openid assigned to a domain.  So I can use openid.dekoekkoek.net/a_name

Each and everytime I log on using my openid domain alias, I get an error screen and it errors continuously after that until I shut down and reopen the browser

Wednesday, January 21, 2009 2:26 AM by Ruhani Rabin

Dosto .. I've just reviewed your product .. Let me know your opinions..

Wednesday, January 21, 2009 5:48 AM by Kazi Manzur Rashid

@Robin: Dost thanks for the review.

Wednesday, January 21, 2009 6:51 AM by GenericError

Great work but please do not email me back my password in plain text when I sign up!

Wednesday, February 4, 2009 5:08 PM by msprog

I understand that you use Linq to Sql in your application. Microsoft is shifting focus from Linq to Sql to ADO.NET Entity Framework:

redmondmag.com/.../article.asp

What is your take on that? Thanks.

Monday, February 16, 2009 5:58 AM by amiT jaiN

Hi i've made a post on how to add dotnetshouout button to all blogspot posts automatically

<a href="amitjainonline.blogspot.com/.../dotnetshout-button-all-posts.html">

amitjainonline.blogspot.com/.../a>

Monday, March 9, 2009 8:26 PM by Vijaya Kadiyala

Its really kool site..but we should be able to edit what posted....