Bridging TFS and SVN

This is my second attempt to write on a public on what I've found interesting to be shared and I hope it can established a series of posting. From The Pragmatic Programmer's book tip #23: Always Use Source Code Control. For me, using source control is not just for tracking purpose. There's a lot of free source code project hosting available publicly on the Internet. One of the reason I've installed TortoiseSVN on my machine is to let me sync down those open source codes from public hosting such as code.google.com, codeplex.com or sourceforge.net (this require CVS). For code.google.com you can use TortoiseSVN directly because it was hosted using Subversion server. For codeplex.com, Microsoft's open source project hosting web site, the source code was hosted using Microsoft's proprietary Team Foundation Server (TFS). You can you either use TortoiseSVN or CodePlex Client to access the code repository. I prefer to use TortoiseSVN since I already used it to access the code from other SVN server. This is possible with SvnBridge, a tool that converts the call made by subversion client to the API supported by TFS. The developer's planet is lucky enough to have TFS SDK available, this will allow other tool to talk to TFS. To get it running on your local machine is pretty easy and no harm.

image
It's a mandatory tools to be installed on your machine since a few cool projects hosted there:

Now lots of source codes to be sync down.
Published Monday, August 4, 2008 9:00 AM by rasyadi
Filed under: ,

Comments

# re: Bridging TFS and SVN

Monday, August 4, 2008 1:46 AM by Ady

If you fancy subversion try out smartsvn. Google for it. I like it.

# re: Bridging TFS and SVN

Monday, August 4, 2008 2:26 AM by rasyadi

I am a big fan of Perforce actually. You know why.

# re: Bridging TFS and SVN

Thursday, August 7, 2008 9:53 PM by microsoft certified software engineer

smartsvn? perforce? it's nothing compare to visual sourcesafe huhuhu

# re: Bridging TFS and SVN

Thursday, August 7, 2008 11:09 PM by rasyadi

visual sourcesafe? it sounds so 90s. Maybe it still relevant to store personal text file in local pc. If you need to use scm from MS, use VSTS instead.

# re: Bridging TFS and SVN

Saturday, December 29, 2012 9:11 PM by Norman

we cant think courtney cox because well as donald arquette have been getting a

divorce! that they were with each other with regard to Eleven years!

# re: Bridging TFS and SVN

Tuesday, March 5, 2013 12:47 AM by Hargett

Hmm that was weird, my comment got eaten. Anyway I wished to say that

it's actually nice to recognize that another individual else also described this as I had problems acquiring the similar data elsewhere. This was that the first location that advised me that the remedy. Tons of thanks.