My blog has moved.
You can view this post at the following address:
Published Wednesday, April 21, 2004 6:49 PM by RoyOsherove

Comments

Wednesday, April 21, 2004 6:23 PM by jledgard

# re: [Coding Contest] Most Useful/Innovative VS.Net Add-in/Macro (and some huge prizes)

This is a pretty cool idea. Is there anything, prizes, support, etc the VS team could provide for this? Are boxes signed by the extensibility team interesting? Let me know.
josh
Wednesday, April 21, 2004 6:50 PM by Roy Osherove

Josh: Expect an email form me real soon :) Through your blog contact link.
Thursday, April 22, 2004 7:01 AM by oleg@tkachenko.com (Oleg Tkachenko)

# RE: [Coding Contest] Most Useful/Innovative VS.Net Add-in/Macro (and some huge prizes)

Just happens I'm writing a killer (IMHO) add-in for VS.NET! Hope I will be able to deliver first beta next month. Btw, should it be open source and why do you need the sources?
Thursday, April 22, 2004 7:49 AM by Roy Osherove

Oleg: cool.
Yes, it should be open source. I want the sources because the whole point of this is to share and learn information and code that can bebefit others, while making the world a cooler place at the same time :)
Thursday, April 22, 2004 10:07 AM by senkwe

Roy, by "the end of next month" you mean the closing date is 5th June 2004?
Thursday, April 22, 2004 11:26 AM by Jonathan Payne

Is there any chance you could extend the rules to allow C++ add-ins (of the non-managed flavour). Some of us Luddites 'enjoy' doing all that tricky COM stuff by hand!

I will submit a really cool add-in if you do.... :-)

Jonathan
Thursday, April 22, 2004 11:53 AM by Omer van Kloeten

Any way you'd accept The Object Model Generator's Visual Studio addin? :D
Thursday, April 22, 2004 1:50 PM by Roy Osherove

Senkwe: I mean submission closes at the end of the 5th month (31.5.04)
Jonathan: I have no idea if you're kidding or not. Still, only managed code allowed. Sorry.
Omer: Yeah. That could use an add-in. Remember - new code, and that is one.
Thursday, April 22, 2004 4:27 PM by Jonathan Payne

Nah, I wasn't kidding! Its just I have a new add-in I have started in C++ and I was wondering if I could bend the rules to enter it for your competition. Oh well.

Jonathan
Thursday, April 22, 2004 9:49 PM by Dotnetjunky

Hi,

is this contest open to everybody in the world or only US citizens ?
Friday, April 23, 2004 12:05 AM by Roy Osherove

This contest is open to EVERYONE, anywhere.
Friday, April 23, 2004 1:04 PM by Eric

If I write a "wrapper" to host Regulator in a VS.NET window, would that count ? :)

Eric
Friday, April 23, 2004 2:12 PM by Eric

Can a person submit more than 1 add-in or macro?

Later,

Eric
Friday, April 23, 2004 5:41 PM by Roy Osherove

Eric: Wrappers don't count :)
Also, YOu can submit any number of add-ins or macros. The more the marrier.
Tuesday, April 27, 2004 5:40 PM by Eric

Can an Add-In use a 3rd party control if it is freely available to anyone (i.e. open source, freeware, gpl, etc.)?

Thanks,

Eric
Thursday, May 13, 2004 3:56 PM by Latrodex

Why do the contest for VS and why not have the contest for a non profit organization. Do we really need to help Microsoft conquer the world of programming.
Wednesday, May 19, 2004 1:10 AM by mordy shahar

Can I nomminate an add.in?

Suppose I can - I nomminate for the first prize - no less the eXtesible C#2.0.

If you don't know what is it - google resolecorp.

A truly amazing tool which opens so much possibilities.

mordy shahar

_mordy@_magen._com
(remove underscores for email)
Friday, May 21, 2004 3:57 PM by Frans Bouma

Why is the final date set again to May 31?

This is a major blow to the people who thought it would be June 30... and if you ask me: it sucks. Roy, please, set it again to June 30. Too many people counted on that date already.