It's Not Just Standing Up: Patterns for Daily Stand-up Meetings

My blog has moved. You can view this post at the following address: http://www.osherove.com/blog/2006/8/22/its-not-just-standing-up-patterns-for-daily-stand-up-meeting.html
Published Tuesday, August 22, 2006 4:39 AM by RoyOsherove
Filed under: ,

Comments

Tuesday, August 22, 2006 7:23 AM by SBC

# re: It's Not Just Standing Up: Patterns for Daily Stand-up Meetings

nice article.. reminds me of my Manager at IBM duing the mid-90's - "meetings are good provided there are no chairs in the room" ;-)
Tuesday, August 22, 2006 8:46 AM by Jason Yip

# re: It's Not Just Standing Up: Patterns for Daily Stand-up Meetings

Martin isn't actually one of the Gang of Four... As the author of the paper, I definitely wouldn't describe any of the patterns as "best practice". One of the reasons why I named it "It's Not Just Standing Up" was to point out that even standing up was a practice that should be considered in context.
Wednesday, August 23, 2006 6:43 AM by Jim Arnold

# re: It's Not Just Standing Up: Patterns for Daily Stand-up Meetings

Martin Fowler is not one of the Gang Of Four :-)
Thursday, August 24, 2006 11:57 AM by Ran

# re: It's Not Just Standing Up: Patterns for Daily Stand-up Meetings

How is Martin Fowler a GOF? He was not among the 4. Maybe better call him the Refactoring/Analysis Patterns/other well known works dude.
Thursday, August 24, 2006 5:07 PM by RoyOsherove

# re: It's Not Just Standing Up: Patterns for Daily Stand-up Meetings

I meesed up and confused Martin to be one of the authors. I tend to do that with him, he's done so much :)

Fixed.

Thursday, August 24, 2006 5:09 PM by RoyOsherove

# re: It's Not Just Standing Up: Patterns for Daily Stand-up Meetings

Jason: I would still call some of them best practices, as they can be considered as best practices, rather than patterns which can be implemented the same in different contexts.

Friday, August 25, 2006 10:58 AM by Jason Yip

# re: It's Not Just Standing Up: Patterns for Daily Stand-up Meetings

But that's the thing. They are patterns because they should *not* be implemented the same in different contexts. I don't like the phrase "best practice" because it implies practices that are "best" independant of context.