Build and Continuous Integration - Toolgasm achieved

My blog has moved. You can view this post at the following address: http://www.osherove.com/blog/2008/8/12/build-and-continuous-integration-toolgasm-achieved.html
Published Tuesday, August 12, 2008 11:51 AM by RoyOsherove

Comments

Tuesday, August 12, 2008 1:39 PM by Lakshmi

# re: Build and Continuous Integration - Toolgasm achieved

we are using Cruise control system for automated hourly builds.. and pretty good with that.

is there any disadvantage you saw in CC.net which is achieved by other CI systems?

Kindly reply.

Tuesday, August 12, 2008 2:08 PM by Omer Mor

# re: Build and Continuous Integration - Toolgasm achieved

Hi Roy,

I have a big standing issue with finalbuilder's output. I have not found a way to transform it nicely to something I can show on our CI build page (we use ccnet).

Do you have a clever way to make its output prettier than a long textual nightmare?

-- Omer.

Tuesday, August 12, 2008 6:20 PM by RoyOsherove

# re: Build and Continuous Integration - Toolgasm achieved

Lakshmi:

TeamCity has a pre-tested commit ability which ccnet does not have. also, I don't need to work with XML to configure the CI.

Omer Mor :

Nope. That is one of the reasons I don't like CCnet. TeamCity shows the status really nicely.

Wednesday, August 13, 2008 12:54 AM by Ran Davidovitz

# re: Build and Continuous Integration - Toolgasm achieved

I personally like the more core oriented sequencer like msbuild / nant.

What were your problems with MSBUILD? (is it only the GUI that makes the difference)

About the output - its Nice output BUT that's only HTML - what all the fuss?

Wednesday, August 13, 2008 5:57 AM by Arielr

# re: Build and Continuous Integration - Toolgasm achieved

Why would you clean the build environment at the end of a build and not at the start of the next?

This way you can run forensices on failing build process.

Wednesday, August 13, 2008 7:26 AM by RoyOsherove

# re: Build and Continuous Integration - Toolgasm achieved

arielr: the clean at the end is only to remove things from the gac and such that were needed for integration tests. We don't delete the files. only at the start of the build we delete the directory.

Ran: My main problem is maintainability. an XML file is OK after a month to maintain, but after a few months your build process can get complicated enough that it is really hard work to change even small details in it, or teach someone how it works.

Wednesday, August 13, 2008 8:27 AM by Kent Boogaart

# re: Build and Continuous Integration - Toolgasm achieved

CCNetConfig is a GUI for CC.NET. Will have to check out TeamCity...

Friday, August 22, 2008 12:28 PM by Adron

# re: Build and Continuous Integration - Toolgasm achieved

I too, absolutely dig the CI from TeamCity/JetBrains.

Check out my blog for my entries too, I've written up a couple steps, at a super easy level just show what can be and is being done.