Six things that will happen when you uninstall your MSDN documentation

My blog has moved. You can view this post at the following address: http://www.osherove.com/blog/2009/8/13/six-things-that-will-happen-when-you-uninstall-your-msdn-doc.html
Published Thursday, August 13, 2009 6:18 PM by RoyOsherove
Filed under:

Comments

Thursday, August 13, 2009 7:54 PM by Igal Tabachnik

# re: Six things that will happen when you uninstall your MSDN documentation

One of the first things I do after installing Visual Studio is unbind the F1 key :)

Thursday, August 13, 2009 9:16 PM by Matt Simner

# re: Six things that will happen when you uninstall your MSDN documentation

hehe - so true.  I lost count of the times I mistakenly hit F1, and then had to get coffee before it even loaded the help app, let alone allowed me to search.

If you google your search term and add 'MSDN' on the end (or do an MSDN site search e.g. 'site:MSDN.microsoft.com system.object' you hit the spot in the majority of cases - relieving that sinking feeling yet more :)

Thursday, August 13, 2009 11:25 PM by Bc

# re: Six things that will happen when you uninstall your MSDN documentation

You can fix #2 by simply unmapping the F1 keyboard shortcut.

Friday, August 14, 2009 1:56 AM by Erik

# re: Six things that will happen when you uninstall your MSDN documentation

Meh - I know. I swear each time I accidentally hit F1 instead of ESC, 1, or some other useful key.

Friday, August 14, 2009 3:56 AM by Terry Hughes

# re: Six things that will happen when you uninstall your MSDN documentation

You can always remove the F1 shortcut from the Help.F1Help command (Tools -> Options -> Environment -> Keyboard)

Friday, August 14, 2009 4:04 AM by vik20000in

# re: Six things that will happen when you uninstall your MSDN documentation

and since you will be searching more on search engine(google or bing) you will get more knowledge as the knowledge on the cloud is msdn + a lot more... :-)

Friday, August 14, 2009 4:31 AM by Steven

# re: Six things that will happen when you uninstall your MSDN documentation

Total Commander is the bomb! :-)

Friday, August 14, 2009 9:33 AM by Brian Schmitt

# re: Six things that will happen when you uninstall your MSDN documentation

I rebind my F1 to a Macro that takes the selected text and will perform a search for me. (Out to google or searchdotnet)

Sunday, August 16, 2009 2:14 AM by Noam S

# re: Six things that will happen when you uninstall your MSDN documentation

The only problem is that I find myself from time to time at at a client that has NO internet access and then I curse and need to connect the Cell Modem to the computer

Saturday, August 22, 2009 6:44 AM by Peter Gfader

# re: Six things that will happen when you uninstall your MSDN documentation

Total Commander is AWESOME. First app I install on a new system!