I came from portal background ...I mean share point portal 2003 and got some free time to do R&D on Microsoft Office Sharepoint Server(MOSS) 2007 from my vista personal laptop but question is how you will work Microsoft SharePoint Server on vista OS.Here is the simple trick.Download the virtual PC image (e.g Virtual Hard Disk) from Microsoft site which is loaded with all you requirement.Yes,it work great.Then,I jump on to do dry run on it and thought to implement silverlight WbeParts on MOSS.
Everything went great except the deployment of webparts.I wonder to spend couple of hour to find out the "Web Part Gallery" on Site Collection Administration page(Please let me know if you know it ;) ).
I found a way, probably the easiest way to go web part gallery is by Navigating to http://MyServer/_layouts/newdwp.aspx, where MyServer is the name of the server on which your SharePoint site is deployed.
Alright,That is all for today keep tune here will get many more article very soon.
A nice comparisons between asp.net 2.0 custom webpart and sharepoint based web part.
|ASP.NET 2.0 Web Part ||SharePoint-based Web Part |
- For most business needs.
- To distribute your Web Part to sites that run ASP.NET 2.0 or SharePoint sites.
- When you want to reuse one or more Web Parts created for ASP.NET 2.0 sites on SharePoint sites.
- To use data or functionality provided by Windows SharePoint Services 3.0. For example, you are creating a a Web Part that works with site or list data.
- When you want to migrate a set of Web Parts using the SharePoint-based Web Part infrastructure to Windows SharePoint Services 3.0.
- To create cross page connections.
- To create connections between Web Parts that are outside of a Web Part zone.
- To work with client-side connections (Web Part Page Services Component).
- To use a data-caching infrastructure that allows caching to the content database.