Drag and Drop ASP.NET 2.0 Web Parts in FireFox (with Atlas)

One of the cool features that the recent March CTP drop of Atlas enables is drag/drop support with FireFox for ASP.NET 2.0 WebParts.  This doesn't require any coding changes -- all you need to-do is update your web.config file with a few Atlas entries, and then you'll be able to have drag/drop for both IE and FireFox.

David Barkol has posted a nice blog entry describing how to enable it.  You can read about it here.  Below is an example of it in action with FireFox:

Hope this helps,

Scott

Published Friday, March 24, 2006 9:04 PM by ScottGu
Filed under: ,

Comments

# re: Drag and Drop ASP.NET 2.0 Web Parts in FireFox (with Atlas)

Saturday, March 25, 2006 8:16 AM by MFSX
Cool! Been waiting for this :)

Saturday, March 25, 2006 4:50 PM by Max Mulawa
This is really good, I remember my disappointment when during ASP.NET 2.0 training, I heard that web parts drag & drop functionality is not supported by FireFox.

Saturday, March 25, 2006 5:53 PM by scottgu
Hi Abu,

If you can send me a sample in a .zip file at scottgu@microsoft.com, I can hook you up with someone who might be able to help you with this.

Thanks,

Scott

Sunday, March 26, 2006 2:48 AM by JO
FINALLY!!!!!! GOSH

Monday, March 27, 2006 3:10 AM by Harmjan
Cool but my menu with close and edit are gone now :( i see only an "u" When I delete <tagmapping> in my webconfig the menu is back but then the drag and drop is gone.

How can I fix this?

Monday, March 27, 2006 3:57 AM by Ids
Hi,
I'm experiencing the same problems as abu, someone found a solution allready? please mail if you do: rsidss [at] gmail [dot] com

Monday, March 27, 2006 9:40 AM by Ramon Durães
Hi Scott,

I have some problem [# re: Drag and Drop ASP.NET 2.0 Web Parts in FireFox (with Atlas) 3/25/2006 8:20 AM abu]

1) apply partial render
2) User update Panel

JavaScript Message:

"Assertion Failed: Duplicate use of id "WebPart_gwpBookConsumer1" for object of type "Sys.UI.Controls.WebParts.WebPart".Break into debugger?"

Monday, March 27, 2006 10:13 AM by Sahil Malik
This is Fantastic.

Monday, March 27, 2006 1:37 PM by Jack
Scott,
Could talk about how to integrate Atals with an existing Visual Studio 2005 project? Every demo and sample I've seen always points you to creating a new "Atlas Web Site" project. What to do you do when you just want to Atlas enable a couple of your web forms in an existing project?

Thanks,
Jack

Tuesday, March 28, 2006 3:47 AM by scottgu
Hi Jack,

All you need to-do to add Atlas support to an exisitng application is copy the Atlas assembly in the \bin directory, and add the web.config file entries to your config file. The best way to get these later entries is to just copy/paste them from the template created with new apps.

Then you are good to go.

Hope this helps,

Scott

Wednesday, April 19, 2006 9:11 AM by Daniel
How can I avoid post back after each web part drag & drop?

Wednesday, April 19, 2006 11:28 PM by scottgu
Hi Daniel,

That is going to be addressed in a future Atlas refresh. Right now, unfortunately, the drag/drop action does cause a postback.

Thanks,

Scott

Sunday, June 18, 2006 7:18 PM by Rob Richard
Hey Scott - good stuff!  I wonder, how do we go about making something like what pageflakes made, where you can only drag and drop into certain areas of the page?  A little insight into that would be awesome!  Thanks in advance...

Sunday, June 18, 2006 7:23 PM by ScottGu
Hi Rob,

This article should help: http://www.codeproject.com/Ajax/AtlasDragNDrop.asp

Hope this helps,