Pointers to Great ASP.NET Atlas Content

June 21st Update: Here is a pointer to even more content.

http://atlas.asp.net is the best place to visit to learn more and download the latest Atlas CTP Release (which now supports Go-Live deployments).

If you haven't had a chance to dive into Atlas yet, you might want to set aside 18 minutes to watch this "How do I" video on the Atlas home-page that walks through how to build a Todo Task List using Atlas from scratch (I type everything in from scratch - including creating the database, building a DAL layer using typed tableadapters, then creating a filtered, sortable, pagable, inline editable task list UI w/ Ajax updates).  It shows off the power of ASP.NET 2.0 and Atlas in building smooth, user-friendly, web experiences -- as well as how easy it is.

I also have an intro to Atlas presentation w/ samples that I posted a few weeks ago here.  This provides a really easy way to master the core concepts of Atlas.

Brad Abrams (who is the GPM for the team that builds ASP.NET and Atlas) recently published his slides+samples from his Atlas talk at the MIX06 conference, including his cool interactive Atlas Dice application.

You can download Brad's presentation + samples here.

Nikhil (who is a key Atlas architect) also just posted the slides+demos from his MIX talk.  He built a cool online music library ("musicMix") that integrates RSS feeds from iTunes, SOAP services with MSN Search, REST services from Amazon, and the new Live Clipboard concept to share information across applications.  It is a really awesome sample.

You can download Nikhil's talk + sample here.

Bertrand (who is a key Atlas dev) just posted a cool post about the accordian control he built to help Brad's Dice demo above.  You can read about it and download it here.

Jonathan Hawkins (who is a key PM on the Atlas team) recently posted a great tutorial on building a map-mashup using Atlas.

You can read and download the code here.

Shanku Niyogi (who runs the ASP.NET and Atlas teams) has just posted a cool sample showing how to use Atlas with PHP.  You can read about it and download it here.

Scott Issacs (who is a Windows Live Architect) just posted his slides from MIX where he shared his "Lessons from the Trenches" talk where he talked about the real world Ajax developer experiences and lessons learned from building Live.com.  You can read and download it here.

Hopefully lots of fun stuff to check out and enjoy!

Scott

P.S. Shanku is going to post his Atlas slides+demos shortly.  He will include a sample that shows how to use Atlas against a PHP backend -- which the MIX crowd really loved.

Published Wednesday, March 29, 2006 1:47 AM by ScottGu
Filed under: , ,

Comments

# re: Pointers to Great ASP.NET Atlas Content

Wednesday, March 29, 2006 5:11 AM by scottgu
Hi Kulin,

Good news - I have teamed up with Scott Mitchell and he is going to write the series I had planned (37 different data tutorials on ASP.NET 2.0 and the ObjectDataSource). I'll post more details about them later this week.

Thx!

- Scott

Wednesday, March 29, 2006 5:39 AM by Joakim Sundén
Gee, I don't know if I really got 18 MONTHS to watch a "How do I" video... :-)

Wednesday, March 29, 2006 10:57 AM by scottgu
Doh -- I meant 18 minutes, not months. :-) Serves me right for blogging at 2am!

Wednesday, March 29, 2006 4:45 PM by Narayan
Hi Scott,

I am interested in knowing when this tutorial will be available on the site. If possible let me know when it will be released or if I need to check the BLOGs I will watch out for it. Thanks.

Regards

N

Wednesday, March 29, 2006 4:57 PM by soccerdad
Scott - Is there any chance you can make the app from your 18-minute to-do list demo downloadable? I especially would like to see the stylesheet that was used for the GridView. I really want to use css for the GridView, but I haven't seen a full sample that I could follow and adapt for my GridView uses.

That was a fantastic walk-through. I watched it with a Rails advocate, and he was very impressed with how quickly the whole app could be created, and without throwaway code.

Thanks,

Donnie

Thursday, March 30, 2006 3:10 AM by noelitoca
Hi Scott!

Your videos as always inspires developers to dive in more into ASP.NET 2.0 and Atlas. Can you post the code samples in the "How do I" video in the Atlas homepage? Thanks =)

Thursday, March 30, 2006 4:44 AM by scottgu
I am planning on cleaning up and then posting my CSS stylesheet and the completed sample soon (I hacked the CSS up quick and dirty -- so want to spend an hour "making it pretty" first so that I don't embarass myself <g>).

Thanks,

Scott

Thursday, March 30, 2006 11:41 PM by Kashif Hameed
WOW, It is quiet Nice.I realy realy love it

Saturday, April 1, 2006 10:41 AM by Steve
How to question:

Is it possible to bind to a listview using a objectdatasource ?

If so, are there any samples of this?

I see mostly using web services from asmx pages directly in the web project.

However, all my logic is in a separate business object and I use objectdatasources to retrieve that data.

Thanks

Saturday, April 1, 2006 9:39 PM by Shane
Hey Scott,

GREAT! tuts and help u r given us all. Thanks very much.

Just a quick question which no one yet has answered properly.

1. What happens to our Atlas app when users turn off javascripting ofr security reasons?
2. Will atlas support polling or a push technology?

Friday, April 7, 2006 3:38 AM by Laurent
Hi Scott,

Sorry I am so late, but I finally had the time to take a look at your blog, and wanted to congratulate you for the great demo at MIX06.

We've been working on a web application for the last 2.5 years. (I work at Siemens Buildeing Technologies). The web app is a management station handling alarms, logs, trends, and graphical views of the plants and rooms (using SVG and JavaScript). We make intensive use of web services and had many problems with the HTC component. So many problems (mostly memory leaks and instabilities) that I had to rewrite and simplify the whole damn thing in JavaScript. After the rewriting, we manage to let IE6 run many days, even weeks without the memory problems, quite proud about that.

That said, I am thrilled by Atlas. The demo you made would have taken me a few hours at least, and you did that in 5 minutes. That was breathtaking.

To Shane and his concern about JavaScript being turned off: We didn't find it as big an issue as Java. Some of our customers systematically refuse to install Java, but JavaScript is OK. That said, if JavaScript gets turned off, you can say good bye to web services...

HTH,
Laurent

Sunday, April 9, 2006 4:19 AM by Ben Adamski
Any ideas when the code from the 18 minute video will be out?

Wednesday, April 19, 2006 1:13 AM by Michael Hallett
Yeah I looked for the code from the 18 minute video and didn't find it yet... did you post it? if not could you at least post the image and CSS files so that those who followed the demo can at least use what you did? thanks!

Tuesday, June 20, 2006 12:04 PM by Pieter
Any news on the images and css file you use in this "How do I" video "Scott's Todo List"? I am madly trying to follow along and would also be interested in seeing what you did there.

thanks

Tuesday, June 20, 2006 6:02 PM by ScottGu
Hi Pieter,

If you want to send me email directly (scottgu@microsoft.com) I can send you the stylesheet.

Hope this helps,

Scott

Wednesday, July 26, 2006 12:36 AM by Keenster
Scott, you awesome! You're MAKING my career. I made an executive dashboard and atlas enabled it now everythign things im a genious, even the asp.net developers. Thanks so much and please keep posting more screen casts. Yours are the best because you go at a quick pace, if I miss something i just rewind it. I hate when the other guys go slow; i dont have time for that ;).

Wednesday, July 26, 2006 5:48 PM by Eric Trudeau
Thanks for the video... very easy to follow!

Tuesday, October 24, 2006 11:16 AM by Cesare Arigliano
Any chance to get the code from the 18 minute video and didn't find it yet...

Thursday, October 26, 2006 12:46 AM by ScottGu

Hi Cesare,

If you send me email I'd be happy to send it to you.

Thanks,

Scott

# using menu with atlas

Saturday, November 18, 2006 4:07 AM by Vimlendra Nabh tripathi

I am using Atlas for button and on button click I want to open menu. But problem is that stylesheet is not working on menu and give me javasript error.