My TechEd Talk Now Available for Download

Many thanks to the 1200+ people who showed up to my TechEd breakout talk today.  I had a blast and hope you did too.

As promised, you can now download the slides from my talk here.  And you can download my demos here.  There is a "Readme.txt" file in the root of the demos .zip file that walks through how to setup the demos.

I have included two versions of the app I built from scratch today -- one is in the "IIS7" directory and allows to you run the application using IIS7 (and use all of the features I showed today -- including URL Rewriting).  The other is a slightly modified version of the sample that also works on IIS5, IIS6 and the built-in VS 2005 Web-Server.  It doesn't use Url-Rewriting -- but the other core features I used are all there.

Hope this helps,

Scott

Published Thursday, June 15, 2006 7:52 PM by ScottGu

Comments

# re: My TechEd Talk Now Available for Download

Thursday, June 15, 2006 11:49 PM by Vinod Sharma
Your session was great. I have been developing asp.net applications since long and I found many help full infortaion during the session. Thanks.

Friday, June 16, 2006 12:49 AM by Amol Wankhede
Hi Scott

Isn't there a recording of your talk available?

That would really help

Thanks
Amol

Friday, June 16, 2006 9:31 AM by Ramon Durães
Hi Scott!
Thanks

Friday, June 16, 2006 9:34 AM by Koistya `Navin
Thanks for the sharing.

Friday, June 16, 2006 10:03 AM by Helen
Your presentation was great. It gives me a different way to think about how to do coding.

Thanks.

Friday, June 16, 2006 10:25 AM by EA
Scott,

When are we going to have webcast of your TechEd presentation available here?

Thanks
EA

Friday, June 16, 2006 12:56 PM by ScottGu
Hi EA and Amol,

Unfortunately this particular presentation wasn't recorded.  However, I'm going to investigate whether it might be possible to record it over the summer and put it on the web.

Thanks,

Scott

Saturday, June 17, 2006 8:29 AM by DEVANG BADIYANI
Hi

I am thankful for the efforts taken by you for sharing good videos and articles .

Thanx a lot

regards
devang

Saturday, June 17, 2006 10:57 AM by Frazer
Great presentation - hilight of the event for me.  I hope you will record the session and post it.  It would be wonderful to be able to work through the demo, in parallel with the presentation and pause as necessary.

My vote for Best of TechEd 2006.

Thanks again.

Saturday, June 17, 2006 9:31 PM by Ken Fine
Scott,

When you say it "wasn't recorded," do you mean it wasn't recorded for general presentation, or that it wasn't recorded at all?

As a TE2006 attendee (and enthusastic member of your audience), I was hoping to watch it again when it comes out on the conference DVDs.

Sunday, June 18, 2006 2:18 PM by Marc Winder
Thanks for the presentation Scott, it was great!

Sunday, June 18, 2006 7:00 PM by ScottGu
Hi David,

I need to kickstart the monthly "coming soon" blog posts again.  I've unfortunately fallen a little behind on those!

Thanks,

Scott

Sunday, June 18, 2006 7:01 PM by ScottGu
Hi Ken,

I could be wrong, but I don't think the talk was recorded unfortunately. :-(

I will try and see if I can redo it and get it posted on the web though.

Thanks,

Scott

Monday, June 19, 2006 1:06 PM by Dan Wygant
Scott, your presentation was excellent. I too note this was the best I saw, and I don't say that lightly as my previous #1 was Jeff Prosise from Wintellect... it took allot but you topped it! I consider you both in the same realm of extremely excellent presentations.

Now to giver a try! Thanks!

Tuesday, June 20, 2006 11:26 AM by K Maiden
Excellent Scott! Were you running Windows Vista 32-bit or 64-bit, laptop or desktop? What development software? Thanks!

Tuesday, June 20, 2006 6:01 PM by ScottGu
Hi K Maiden,

I was using a 32-bit version of Vista on my laptop (1.6Ghz, 1GB of RAM) with SQL 2005, IIS7 and VS 2005.

1GB of RAM is a bit tight for the above configuration.  I'd recommend 2GB to maximize the performance.

Hope this helps,

Scott

Thursday, June 22, 2006 1:33 AM by Charles Chung
I would like to put the atlas:UpdateProgress control above the Gridview instead of below it. It worked but the GridView will move up and down because of the extra line. Do you have any ideas to get around with this?

Thanks so much in advance!

Thursday, June 22, 2006 1:42 AM by ScottGu
Hi Charles,

What I'd recommend would be to wrap the UpdateProgress content within a <div> that has a CSS rule that you use to customize to float or z-order on top.  You can then use this to customize the content however you want, and avoid the content moving when the updateprogress shows up.

Hope this helps,

Scott

# Does IIS7 offer new urlMapping features?

Thursday, July 6, 2006 9:17 PM by Chris Pietschmann

I see your example code uses an UrlRewriting HttpModule from Intelligencia. I search online and on the iis.net website, and I couldn't find anything specifying what urlMapping features IIS7 offers.

What features does IIS7 offer for urlMapping?

Sunday, July 9, 2006 12:29 PM by ScottGu

Hi Chris,

The core IIS7 release provides all the infrastructure to do URL rewriting for all resources (ASP.NET, ASP, PHP, HTML, etc).

The Vista release won't have a URL rewriting rules engine built-in -- although we are looking at making one available as a download in the future.

Hope this helps,