Great New ASP.NET 2.0 Data Tutorials Published

Over the last year Scott Mitchell has written 75 awesome data access tutorials covering ASP.NET 2.0 and VS 2005.  You can read all of them for free on the www.asp.net site (VB and C# versions are provided for each tutorial).

Earlier this week we published the last 9 articles in the series:

Scott Mitchell has more details on them on this blog post (make sure to thank him for writing all of these!).

Hope this helps,

Scott

P.S. All of the tutorials are available in both HTML as well as in a PDF format that you can download and print/take offline.

Published Wednesday, August 8, 2007 6:58 PM by ScottGu

Comments

# re: Great New ASP.NET 2.0 Data Tutorials Published

Wednesday, August 8, 2007 10:42 PM by Ben Hayat

Scott;

>>make sure to thank him for writing all of these!

It's funny you posted this now. I had just contacted Scott (M) and thanking him about his great work. I also asked him if he has any plans to do the same with LINQ and he said, he hasn't had much time lately to look at LINQ. Hopefully we can see great stuff from him.

I hope someone else is working on a tutorial like Scott's about LINQ for ASP.Net. Maybe by the time I finish my project, I'll be qualified to write a few ;-)

Thursday, August 9, 2007 12:42 AM by Vikram

It would be great to have some samples like this using LINQ also.

Thursday, August 9, 2007 2:04 AM by disappoint

Darn, I wish they were screencasts.

Saves about 10 times the time to learn.

Thursday, August 9, 2007 3:40 AM by Mike

Critical comment, hope you won't mind:

Thursday, August 9, 2007 10:39 AM by Josh Stodola

Scott has really done a great job on these articles.  I hope he continues to write tutorials for you guys becuase he has a true talent for technical writing.  Keep up the great work, Scott!  (I wanted to thank him on his blog but comments were disabled).

Thursday, August 9, 2007 10:57 AM by Stephen

At last year's DevConnections in Orlando, Scott was there to give some presentations, and there must have been like 20 people waiting around afterward just like me waiting to personally thank him for his books and his site..... I know that I wanted to tell him that his book "ASP in 21 Days" really jumpstarted my career...

Thursday, August 9, 2007 10:58 AM by Shail

Hi Scott,

I am still looking for data tutorial which will show how to make best use of SQL Server 2005 caching. The one where ASP.NET and SQL server talks to each other and take care of automatic invalidation.

Cachedependency="CommandNotification"

Still this great feature is not greatly explained anywhere.

Thursday, August 9, 2007 11:46 AM by ScottGu

Hi Vikram,

>>>>>>> It would be great to have some samples like this using LINQ also.

We'll also be planning on doing an equivalent series for LINQ as well.

Thanks,

Scott

Thursday, August 9, 2007 11:50 AM by ScottGu

Hi Mike,

>>>>>> The last tutorials are just in time, because typed datasets are about to be obsolete with LINQ to SQL coming out at the end of this year.  I hope we will see another series just like this, but based on LINQ. Sometimes it's hard to keep up with all the new stuff from Microsoft, and you feel like you're always behind the times.

We will be planning another series like this that uses LINQ to SQL.  Two things I did want to mention:

1) Typed DataSets are definitely not going away.  We'll be supporting them for at least 10+ years into the future (and probably longer) - so using them is definitely very much an option going forward.

2) The articles in Scott Mitchell's series above typically all use an ObjectDataSource, which then talks to the DAL.  You can use this exact same approach with LINQ to SQL - which should mean a very good skills transfer if you do decide to use LINQ to SQL.

Hope this helps,

Scott

Thursday, August 9, 2007 11:51 AM by ScottGu

Hi Ruchit/Josh/Stephen/Others,

Scott Mitchell definitely rocks! :-)

Thanks,

Scott

Thursday, August 9, 2007 4:08 PM by Earl Forrest

does anyone know where to put code and how to connect to LDAP using asp.net in visual basic coding.

Thursday, August 9, 2007 11:38 PM by Scott Mitchell

Thanks for the plug, Scott, and the kind comments. I learned much writing the tutorials and had a lot of fun, too.

Thursday, August 9, 2007 11:53 PM by Bin

Scott,

Thank you.

Friday, August 10, 2007 3:04 AM by handy01

Really Great article

Love it

Friday, August 10, 2007 7:16 AM by Mike

>>>>> Typed DataSets are definitely not going away.  We'll be supporting them for at least 10+ years into the future (and probably longer) - so using them is definitely very much an option going forward.

Well, that's good to hear. Will Typed DataSets have new features in Orcas or in the future?

Friday, August 10, 2007 8:05 AM by Rajesh

it helps me a lot. i feel learning through video tutorials is gives me a better understaing

Friday, August 10, 2007 9:09 AM by mILAN

If we could get PDF version of all of the articles, that would be great.

Friday, August 10, 2007 11:02 AM by WIll Lainez

thanks for the great tutorials, as a beginner in asp.net I find them invaluable... again thank you!!

Friday, August 10, 2007 11:47 PM by Ranu Mandan

lots of Thanks for your great work

great stuff for newbies in asp.net 2.0

I have gone through each and every DataTutorial of yours...

its really awesome.......keep your good work going

Sunday, August 12, 2007 12:02 PM by Ali643

Scott

Thank you.

Monday, August 13, 2007 2:31 AM by Moiz

Hi, Scott M.

Thanks a lot for really great tutorials.

I read almost all of them.

Keep up the good work.

Thanks.

Wednesday, August 22, 2007 4:42 AM by dotnetUncle - .NET Interview Questions

Good Stuff posted!

Tuesday, September 25, 2007 4:20 PM by Ramkumar

you have done a great job....thanks