Here is the latest in my link-listing series.  Also check out my ASP.NET Tips, Tricks and Tutorials page for links to popular articles I've done myself in the past.

ASP.NET

• Cleanup Inactive Anonymous Users: ASP.NET 2.0 has support for an optional feature called "anonymous users" - which enables you to optionally track and store profile data for non-authenticated users visiting your sites (read K. Scott Allen's article here for more details on how this works).  Omar Al Zabir published this handy article that describes how to "clean up" this anonymous user data periodically to avoid storing it forever in your database.

ASP.NET AJAX

Visual Studio

• Speed up Visual Studio 2005: Here are a bunch of useful suggestions for how you can speed up your VS 2005 IDE environment.  For other performance suggestions, please review my previous blog posts here and here.

• SQL Database Publishing Wizard Now in VS 2008: One of the post-Beta2 features that we are adding for the final VS 2008 release is the inclusion of a SQL database publishing wizard inside Visual Studio.  This will be supported in both the free Visual Web Developer Express edition as well as the full Visual Studio, and provides an easy way to script out your database schema and data to .SQL files.  You can then copy these files to a remote hoster to deploy a database.  You can learn more about how this works from my earlier posts here and here which describes how to use a previous standalone tool with this functionality (all of this functionality is now built-in to VS 2008).

• Convert Selected Text to a Label: Fons Sonnemans has a nice article that demonstrates a cool macro that can be used to automatically convert literal text in your .aspx files to a <asp:label> control.  A neat shortcut.

Silverlight

• Building Silverlight Application using .NET MIX UK Videos: The videos from the recent MIX UK conference are now live on the web and can be watched (for free) by anyone.  If you are interested in Silverlight I recommend watching my Building Silverlight Application using .NET (Part 1 and 2) talks.  You can download the slides + samples for my talks here

• Silverlight Kids Doodler Sample: David Anson has published a neat sample that demonstrates how to build a neat Paint program in Silverlight.  Ideal for small children. :-)

• Great Silverlight Tutorials: Gerard Leblanc has a great blog, and publishes regular blog posts on Silverlight.  Check out this list of some of some of his tutorials.

IIS 7.0

• Using LINQ with Microsoft.Web.Administration: Carlos from the IIS7 dev team has a really cool blog post that shows how you can use LINQ with .NET 3.5 to easily query and manipulate the new web server administration API introduced with IIS7.  For more information on this new API, you can also read an old post of mine here.

Hope this helps,

Scott

Published Thursday, October 25, 2007 1:35 AM by ScottGu

Comments

# re: October 25th Links: ASP.NET, ASP.NET AJAX, Visual Studio, Silverlight and IIS 7.0

Thursday, October 25, 2007 6:46 AM by Mark Wisecarver

Awesome Scott!

These lists are very much appreciated.

I'm especially thankful for the "Speeding up VS 2005" reminders.

Thursday, October 25, 2007 7:27 AM by George Walker

More great links but...

How are the final LINQ To SQL articles coming?

:-)

Thanks

Thursday, October 25, 2007 7:50 AM by Fayez Almutairi

Hi Scott,

Could you please tell us if there is any Silverlight 1.1 refresh coming soon ?

Thursday, October 25, 2007 9:34 AM by Rupak Ganguly

yet again a nice post. keep it up.

Thursday, October 25, 2007 9:39 AM by Osman Pirci

Thanks again Scott, following you up all the time.

Thursday, October 25, 2007 10:01 AM by Georgi Mitev

another great post :)

Thursday, October 25, 2007 12:29 PM by Ahmed

Thanks Scott,

Great job. Wish to bring more links related to C#.

Thursday, October 25, 2007 12:43 PM by Boris Yeltsin's Zombie

Thursday, October 25, 2007 12:46 PM by ScottGu

Hi Rodrigo,

>>>>>>> Hi Scott..take a look at my project: www.extendersamples.qsh.eu

Very cool.  I just added it to my list to review for my next link-listing post.

Thanks,

Scott

Thursday, October 25, 2007 12:47 PM by ScottGu

Hi George,

>>>>>> How are the final LINQ To SQL articles coming?

I'm going to try and find some time this weekend to write the next one. :-)

Thanks,

Scott

Thursday, October 25, 2007 12:48 PM by ScottGu

Hi Boris,

>>>>>>> Are you guys still on track for a November 2007 release for Visual Studio 2008? :)

We are doing well with VS 2008 and .NET 3.5.  We are almost there now.

Thanks,

Scott

Friday, October 26, 2007 12:42 AM by Vikram

Hi, Thanks for the Link post.

So are we going to get an RC1 or VS 2008 and Dot net 3.5 in a few weeks time now? What are the major changes we can expect in the RC1?

Friday, October 26, 2007 8:08 AM by Neil@HITS

think VS2008 great -now installed both VS2005 & VS2008 on same workstation - initially had some problems with framework 2's web.config but sorted however if I open a website developed under 2005 in 2008 I get page errors "theme not found" and all ccsclass assignments are shown as not found. The intellisence shows Theme but no instances - currently 2.

The site complies with no problems so from a practical view no problem but annoying

If I open the site in VS2005 - no issue

The site uses a  base master page - initially under 2008 this showed ccs undefined - I added this in and then modified my content pages to reset the stylesheet to the actual one required

Again brilliant - with much easier interface with AJAX

Friday, October 26, 2007 12:58 PM by depaulo

I have upgraded a website from 2005 to 2008 beta2 and everything and i can't seem to compile anything that has the new syntax such as myList.Where(r => r.AttributeTypeID == 1). It also will not recognise the var datatype. All these things work in the intellisense but not when building. Its almost like for building the app it is still looking at .net 2. I have a straight dll with data stuff in it which compiles using the new linq/lambda syntax fine.

Any ideas?

Saturday, October 27, 2007 7:39 AM by Jav

As usual great set of links, thanks for doing the hard work of collecting these resources.

Thanks,

Jav

Sunday, October 28, 2007 2:10 AM by Fduch

I know it's only a dream but please try to include .Net Framework 3.5 into XP SP3 / Vista SP1 / Server 2008

Absense of .Net Framework in XP SP2 (it was included, but in strange non-installable manner) slowed the adoption of .Net a lot!

Monday, October 29, 2007 2:11 AM by Sanjay

Scott,

Is there a way I can subscribe to your blog, so that when ever you publish anything here I will get an email.

Thanks,

Sanjay

Monday, October 29, 2007 6:27 AM by IndigoDai

Actually we expect posts written by yourself.such as LINQ,ListView.

Monday, October 29, 2007 1:48 PM by jagadishsaraf

When I am Playing more than one video using SilverLight and hosted that on server my Question is whether that video use server memory or client system memory culd u plz help me