Feb 17th Links: ASP.NET, ASP.NET AJAX, Visual Studio, .NET

Here is the latest in my link-listing series.  Also check out my ASP.NET Tips, Tricks and Tutorials page for links to popular articles I've done myself in the past.

ASP.NET

ASP.NET AJAX

• ASP.NET AJAX History Tutorials: Jonathan Carter has published a good series of tutorials that demonstrate how to use the new ASP.NET AJAX History support that we'll be shipping later this year (it is currently available in the ASP.NET Extensions CTP download).  This enables you to add forward/back button navigation support within AJAX applications.

• Using JQuery with VS 2008 JavaScript Intellisense: One of the improvements we shipped in our recent VS 2008 Hotfix Roll-Up last week was to address issues with JavaScript intellisense support for JQuery (another popular AJAX framework).  Brennan Stehling, James Hart, and Lance Fisher have done blog posts recently that discuss how to enable even richer JQuery intellisense inside VS 2008 using intellisense-friendly JQuery libraries that are referenced while coding (and then swapped out for the real library at runtime).  You can read their blog posts about how this works here and here and here.

• ASP.NET MVC Tip: Submitting an AJAX Form with JQuery: While on the subject of JQuery, I thought I'd link to a post in Mike Bosch's ASP.NET MVC series that shows how you can integrate JQuery in the browser on the client with the ASP.NET MVC framework on the server.

Visual Studio

• Visual Studio Programmer Themes Gallery: Visual Studio enables you to customize the color settings of the text editor and IDE, as well as to export and import the settings (use the Tools->Import and Export Settings menu to do this).  Scott Hanselman has a great post that provides previews of a bunch of cool pre-built themes that people have published that you can download and use for free.

• Code Profiler Analysis in VS 2008: Maarten Balliauw has a nice post that describes how to use the code profiling features in the Developer edition of Visual Studio Team System to analyze code performance.

.NET

• Using the Expression Tree Visualizer: Charlie Calvert has a nice post that talks about one of the very useful debugging tools in the LINQ samples package provided with VS 2008.  It enables you to easily visualize expression tree variables within the debugger - which can be incredibly useful when you are trying to write your own custom LINQ provider (like the ones above).  To learn more about Expression Trees and some of the underlying concepts that make LINQ possible, also check out Charlie's earlier post on them here.

Hope this helps,

Scott

Published Sunday, February 17, 2008 11:01 AM by ScottGu

Comments

# re: Feb 17th Links: ASP.NET, ASP.NET AJAX, Visual Studio, .NET

Sunday, February 17, 2008 3:13 PM by JeffHandley

I second that... congratulations on the promotion!  You are an incredible asset to the Microsoft developer community.

Sunday, February 17, 2008 3:24 PM by Brian

Hi Scott,

Sunday, February 17, 2008 5:07 PM by sidd

Scott, Congratulations!!!

Best regards,

Sidd

Sunday, February 17, 2008 6:26 PM by Glenn F. Henriksen

Congrats on the promotion and thanks for keeping your blog. Pure gold.

Sunday, February 17, 2008 6:27 PM by Alistair

Scott, always an inspiration, congratulations on the well deserved promotion.

Sunday, February 17, 2008 8:02 PM by Catto

Hey Now Scott,

Nice post,anther great resource. I also really liked hearing you on DNR this past week. It was good to hear you really post all your content yourself.

Thx 4 the info,

Catto

Sunday, February 17, 2008 8:23 PM by Nathan Brouwer

Scott, congratulations on your promotion! Hope you will keep your blog alive! Thanks for the links btw, not much Silverlight going on these days? Might be easing up while waiting for the MIX.. :)

Sunday, February 17, 2008 9:13 PM by Tri Sugiyantowo

Thanks very much for a lot of useful links and congratulation for your promotion. Keep this blog alive Scott, quite interesting learn from  here.

Sunday, February 17, 2008 9:27 PM by Boldy

What... No WPF Link, boo hoo

Sunday, February 17, 2008 9:30 PM by ScottGu

Thanks everyone. :-)

And don't worry about the blog - it is very much alive and well, and won't be impacted at all. :-)

Thanks,

Scott

Sunday, February 17, 2008 9:31 PM by ScottGu

Hi Nathan,

>>>>>>>> Thanks for the links btw, not much Silverlight going on these days? Might be easing up while waiting for the MIX.. :)

Stay tuned for a bunch more Silverlight content shortly. :-)

Thanks,

Scott

Sunday, February 17, 2008 9:32 PM by ScottGu

Hi Boldy,

>>>>>> What... No WPF Link, boo hoo

Not this time, but next week I will (I try and batch up multiple grouped links together to make them easier to read and follow).

Make sure to check out the WPF links on my last link-listing post (I had several): weblogs.asp.net/.../feb-6th-links-asp-net-asp-net-ajax-visual-studio-net-wpf.aspx

Thanks,

Scott

Sunday, February 17, 2008 9:33 PM by ScottGu

Hi Brian,

>>>>>>> you mention the code profiling feature in VS2008. Does that finally support profiling x64 apps, or do we still need a thirdparty profiler for that?

I sent mail off to the profiler team to find out about this.  The guy who runs it is on vacation right now for a week, so it might take awhile for them to get back to me.  I'll post a follow-up comment here once I confirm the answer.

Thanks,

Scott

Sunday, February 17, 2008 9:58 PM by vikram

congratulation on the promotion. Corporate Vice President. wishes for continous success

Sunday, February 17, 2008 11:35 PM by SoftMind

Hi Scott,

Pl. take out some time to blog on the requested topics.

(1) Asp.Net MVC with Dynamic Languages

(2) LINQ to SQL with Dynamic Languages.

This blogs are never discussed anywhere on web so far. Pl. take out some time, its an outstanding requested since long.

Thanks

Sunday, February 17, 2008 11:57 PM by Jack Ma

Thank you Mr. Corporate Vice President, .NET Developer Platform. Congratulations on this promotion.

Jack

Monday, February 18, 2008 12:02 AM by Dilip

Hi Scott,

Congratulations on your much deserved promotion!

Monday, February 18, 2008 1:06 AM by Gilbok Lee

Could you remember me?

I'm Gilbok Lee of Huge Flow (in Korea)

When you visited Korea, I shown you 'LOGI-CRAFTS' :)

I'm in Seattle now.

Because I am going to attend Microsoft's training program(for Windows Live Trainers).

And I heard that you have been promoted.

Congraturation!!

I have been to Original Starbucks and Space Niddle.

Seattle is very nice!

Monday, February 18, 2008 1:13 AM by ScottGu

Hi Gilbok,

Glad you made it to Seattle!

I'm actually very impressed that you've been to the origional Starbucks here - I actually haven't visited that yet myself (even though it has been 12 years)! :-)  I need to put that on my todo list (especially since I visit at least one starbucks each day as it is!).

Best of luck with the rest of your visit!

Scott

Monday, February 18, 2008 4:43 AM by mehfuzh

Congrats Scott!! I guess you need to update the "about" page as well :-)

Monday, February 18, 2008 12:34 PM by Justin Kong

You da man Scott! Congrats on your promotion! You deserve it for sure!

Monday, February 18, 2008 1:44 PM by nannette

Thanks for posting my link! I am getting trackbacks in every language of the world! My goodness Scott! Is there a language you don't have a blog in?

;)

Monday, February 18, 2008 5:49 PM by Ishai Hachlili

some good links as always

scott, are you sure you didn't visit the original starbuck by mistake?

Monday, February 18, 2008 8:48 PM by Chica

Hi Scott,

Thank you again for the link.:)

And congratulations on your great promotion! (I read the comments on this blog and I have just known about it. ) It is so great!

Thanks,

Chica

Monday, February 18, 2008 10:12 PM by Adamxx

Hi Scott,

What aboat Linq to exchange mailbox.

Saturday, March 1, 2008 1:46 PM by purecs

Thank Scott for the link.

All this good.

Friday, March 21, 2008 5:28 PM by Mohit

Hey thanks for the links man!

Saturday, March 22, 2008 1:49 PM by elena

this information really helped me .thanks very much

Monday, April 7, 2008 10:05 AM by theguapo

Hey Scott, For another tool that folks might find useful, try the <a href="www.novologic.com/.../ben Release Builder</a>.  It tries to solve many of the limitations of the Visual Studio publish tool.