June 7th Links: ASP.NET, AJAX, ASP.NET MVC, Visual Studio

Here is the latest in my link-listing series.  Also check out my ASP.NET Tips, Tricks and Tutorials page and Silverlight Tutorials page for links to popular articles I've done myself in the past.

You can also now follow me on twitter (@scottgu) where I also post links and small posts.

ASP.NET

• GridView Confirmation Box using jQuery: Mohammed Azam has a nice post that describes how to implement model confirmation UI using jQuery.  This is particularly useful for scenarios like saving or deleting data.

AJAX

• ASP.NET 4.0 AJAX – Client Templates: Damien White has a great post that describes the new client templating support in ASP.NET AJAX.  This provides an easy and powerful way to dynamically create rich HTML UI on the client.

• ASP.NET 4.0 AJAX - Data Binding: Damien White continues his great ASP.NET AJAX series with this article that describes the new client-side data binding features in the new version of ASP.NET AJAX.

ASP.NET MVC

• DataAnnotations and ASP.NET MVC: Brad Wilson (a dev on the ASP.NET MVC team) has a nice post that describes how to use DataAnnotations to annotate model objects, and then use a model binder to automatically validate them when accepting form posted input.  DataAnnotation support will be built-in with the next version of ASP.NET MVC.

Visual Studio

Hope this helps,

Scott

Published Sunday, June 7, 2009 12:05 AM by ScottGu

Comments

# re: June 7th Links: ASP.NET, AJAX, ASP.NET MVC, Visual Studio

Sunday, June 7, 2009 8:51 AM by Marc Fairorth

Scott -- thank you for taking the time to post this link series, it is definitely appreciated!

Slightly off topic, I understand the new MSDN forums have been rewritten in MVC. They look great, I was wondering if you could convince the team to release to source code as a learning/guidance tool.

Thanks again!

- Marc

Sunday, June 7, 2009 1:02 PM by Alireza

Thanks Scott!

I look forward to more MVC posts in your blog!

Sunday, June 7, 2009 11:06 PM by Jack

Thanks for sharing!

I hope there will be more topic on .NET 4.0, since lots of us care it.

Monday, June 8, 2009 12:11 AM by vik20000in

a good set of links again....

Monday, June 8, 2009 2:32 AM by amitkekan

Great source...........

Monday, June 8, 2009 3:57 AM by Mike

Scott, good to see a link to Steve Sandersons blog, he is a very good writer and has written some good in-depth articles on ASP.NET MVC.

Monday, June 8, 2009 7:53 AM by rajkiran

These are nice links. I would like know more about ASP.Net and its implementation of MVC

Monday, June 8, 2009 12:51 PM by jles

Great set of links!

I think a section on Silverlight would be good too.  A reference to some of the blog articles by Nikhil Kothari would be worth mentioning (http://www.nikhilk.net/).

Friday, June 12, 2009 6:46 PM by tgakk

Scott, I can't seem to get the authentication to work for static content per Scott's tutorial in IIS 7 on Vista.  It seems simple enough--my defaultapppool is set to Integrated Pipeline and has my site associated with it. I added the following to my web.config <system.webServer>

<modules>

<remove name="FormsAuthenticationModule" />

<add name="FormsAuthenticationModule" type="System.Web.Security.FormsAuthenticationModule" />

<remove name="UrlAuthorization" />

<add name="UrlAuthorization" type="System.Web.Security.UrlAuthorizationModule" />

<remove name="DefaultAuthentication" />

<add name="DefaultAuthentication" type="System.Web.Security.DefaultAuthenticationModule" /></modules></system.Webserver>

The folder where the pdf files are stored requires authentication per my web.config (using forms authentication).  However, if I go directly to the link, it lets me download it, even if I'm not authenticated.  Using the built in web server in Visual Studio, it works and redirects me to a login page.  I read in forums.asp.net that other people were having a similar problem with trying to get it to work in IIS 7, but no solutions were presented.  Any thoughts?  Thanks!

Monday, June 22, 2009 4:03 PM by advantshop

Very nice links.

Wednesday, July 1, 2009 3:25 AM by OmerKhanCA

Hi Scott,

I am new to Asp.net. I am having problems configuring the WAT. I used the aspnet_regsql utility and it created the aspnetdb in one of the sql instance at a local server. I created a new aspnet project and added a single page, and after that I clicked on the WAT; and on the security tab it gives me an error, unable to connect to sql server ....

I don't have Sql 2005 Express edition, I have Sql 2005

Any guideline will be really encouraging.

TIA

Omer

Thursday, July 9, 2009 9:27 PM by Broomandan

Hi Scott,

I have been following the MVC framework for a while and finally decided to use it for my new projects.

I am trying to convert a simple ASP .NET 3.5 application to MVC by creating a brand new MVC project and I am facing few fundamental questions which I could not find any convincing answers for them on any blogs and there’s no mention of it on your ASP .NET MVC 1.0 PDF. Below is list of my questions:

1-What’s the say on using user controls (.ascx) are they recommended to use ?

2-Is it better to use views instead of user controls?

3-Can or shall we nest views?

I have an ASP.NET page which is currently implemented by using two user controls inside bunch of HTML tags and server controls,

Shall I convert each user control to a view and have a complex view that is consist of these two views?

Please advise.