Visual Studio 2010 and .NET 4 Update

In October we shipped the public Beta 2 release of Visual Studio 2010 and .NET 4.  The feedback on the new features in VS 2010 and .NET 4 has been really great.  I’ve been working on a blog series about some of them (lots more posts to go!) and have also had a chance to present them to a broad range of audiences – and it has been great hearing the excitement people have about them.

At the same time, though, we’ve also received feedback that the performance and virtual memory usage of VS 2010 Beta 2 is not where people need it to be before we ship.

We’ve been doing an intensive performance optimization push the last two months that is delivering significant performance and virtual memory usage improvements across the product.  The early feedback from a small set of customers testing interim builds since Beta2 has been positive about these improvements. We still have several big performance fixes in the process of being checked in that will improve things even further.

Public Release Candidate

In order to make sure that these fixes truly address the performance issues reported, and to help validate them across the broadest number of scenarios and machine configurations, we’ve decided to ship another public preview release of VS 2010 and .NET 4 before we ship.  Specifically, we plan to make a Release Candidate build available in February that everyone will be able to download and test.  It will be a public build and include a broad “go live” license that supports production deployment.

The goal behind the Release Candidate is to get broad feedback on the readiness of the product.  In order to ensure that we are able to receive and react to this feedback, we will also be moving the launch of Visual Studio 2010 and .NET 4 back a few weeks.

Please continue to send us your feedback about the product, as well as details on issues you encounter with the current Beta 2 release.  Your feedback is invaluable, and really helps ensure we deliver the right product.  Feel free to send me email (scottgu@microsoft.com) if you have a specific issue you are running into that you don’t think has already been reported.

Hope this helps,

Scott

Published Thursday, December 17, 2009 4:21 PM by ScottGu

Comments

# re: Visual Studio 2010 and .NET 4.0 Update

Thursday, December 17, 2009 7:27 PM by Rob mathieson

Fantastic. Can't wait for the full release!

Thursday, December 17, 2009 7:33 PM by Mike Leach

Everything has been running great for me so far. This build is already a point of no return for Azure developers.

The "calming blue" theme was a great aesthetic choice :-)

If I could pick one area to improve performance, it would be loading the ASP.NET designer.

Thursday, December 17, 2009 7:35 PM by JonathanConway

Good to see performance optimization as being a focus.

Thursday, December 17, 2009 7:36 PM by EricTN

Great decision, Scott! :-)

Thursday, December 17, 2009 7:38 PM by Richard Kimber

Will it include an updated version of MVC2?

Rich

Thursday, December 17, 2009 7:53 PM by Christian

great news! it's better to move the launch than to have unhappy customers! it's really great to see, that you react to customer feedback!

looking forward to the (hopefully well-performing) release candidate!

regards

Thursday, December 17, 2009 8:25 PM by Rob

This is what I was hoping to see. Thanks for listening.

Thursday, December 17, 2009 8:33 PM by Greg

Took us 3 years after VS2005 to get off VS2003 and move past .NET 1.1. Take your time. Get it right. Its all good.

Thursday, December 17, 2009 9:26 PM by Scott Wade

--Scott Wade

--------------

"Regarding Visual Studio 2010 and .NET 4 support, that is unfortunately not a feasible option. The most recent public release of VS2010 and .NET 4 is Beta 2. However, our internal builds of MVC 2 for VS2010 and .NET 4 depend on features that were available only after Beta 2. In other words, if we released what we have right now for VS2010 and .NET 4 then it wouldn't even run. The alternative would be for us to keep building a version of MVC 2 for VS2010 and .NET 4 Beta 2, but that was too much extra effort for a very small ASP.NET MVC team :("

"Visual Studio 2010 Beta 2, which is the most recent public version of VS2010, contains ASP.NET MVC 2 Preview 2. The out-of-band standalone releases of ASP.NET MVC 2 for Visual Studio 2008 SP1 are not compatible with VS2010 and also cannot be installed on the same computer. For the time being you'll either have to pick whether you want to use VS2008 or VS2010 or you can use a virtual machine and run one inside the VM and one outside (or whatever). We realize that this is an unfortunate situation but once everything gets to its final release (VS2010, .NET 4, and ASP.NET MVC 2) they will all be compatible with each other and can be installed on the same computer."

--Eilon Lipton

Thursday, December 17, 2009 9:51 PM by Paul Stovell

I think this is a good decision. People will likely be using 2010 for at least the next three years after it's released so it is smart to delay it and release when people both internal and external are happy. It's great to see Microsoft continuing to put quality first.

Thursday, December 17, 2009 10:10 PM by Miguel Madero

Are we going to have a Silverlight 4 .NET Go Live license with VS 2010 RC?

Thursday, December 17, 2009 10:54 PM by Ryan Hoffman

Thursday, December 17, 2009 11:00 PM by ScottGu

@Richard,

>>>>>>>> Will it include an updated version of MVC2?

Yes - it will include a newer version of ASP.NET MVC 2.

Hope this helps,

Scott

Thursday, December 17, 2009 11:01 PM by ScottGu

@paulus,

>>>>>>> Your post and that of Somasegar's are the same. Do you guys really write your own blogs?

Actually they are different - both both about the same topic.  I wrote the above post myself.

Thanks,

Scott

Thursday, December 17, 2009 11:02 PM by ScottGu

@Miguel,

>>>>>>>> Are we going to have a Silverlight 4 .NET Go Live license with VS 2010 RC?

With Silverlight we tend not to have go-live licenses until it actually ships.  We need to-do this because it is an Internet install based model and we don't want a beta with potential compatibility bugs flying around the Internet.

Hope this helps,

Scott

Thursday, December 17, 2009 11:03 PM by ScottGu

@Scott,

>>>>>>>> Will this upcoming Release Candidate finally contain an updated or the latest ASP.NET MVC 2.0 RC as well (to replace the ASP.NET MVC 2 preview 2), so we can finally work with the latest MVC 2 release candidate on the same machine with VS 2010 (Currently this is a major bummer, that we must uninstall and use VS 2008, even though the technical issues are well described by Eilon Lipton and it sounds like there are simply not enough resources to maintain ASP.NET MVC 2.0 builds for both).  If not, is this something we in the community can assist with to make up for the lack of resources?  Sorry to bug about this again, like everyone else, but it is really holding things up, while we try and ramp up with .NET 4 and VS 2010...

Yes - the upcoming release candidate will have a new version of ASP.NET MVC 2.

Hope this helps,

Scott

Thursday, December 17, 2009 11:04 PM by ScottGu

@Ryan,

>>>>>>>> It would be really great if the RC would be supported under Windows Azure.  My team has made the jump to VS2010 and .NET 4.0, and we feel like we're standing outside the Azure party.  Our organization would significantly benefit from Azure, and we are making infrastructure decisions today which just can't count on Azure supporting .NET 4 when it's time for our software to go into production.

We are working with the Azure folks right now to try and get .NET 4 installed on it as soon as possible.  Unfortunately I don't have an exact ETA yet.

Hope this helps,

Scott

Thursday, December 17, 2009 11:19 PM by Hima Vejella

I have been playing with VS2010 ASP.NET4 since the beta release.

I really like some of the fetures like ClientIDMode , Response.Redirect Permanent ,SEO Techniques and advanced query extender support. But after installing VS2010 system performance has become significantly low. If performance is going to be improved that would be great news for the developers.

Friday, December 18, 2009 1:23 AM by developerz

Just launched two VS2010 Beta 2 sites in the last few days on production 2008 server, and so far so good.  The Web deployment stuff is super awesome and worked out really well.  The downside is that it's only available for WAPs, not WSPs.  I ended up having to convert my Web Site Projects to WAPs to take advantage of IIS7 web deployment, which was a good thing in the end, but a bummer to have to do initially. Hopefully, web deployment will be available for both WAPs and WSPs in the near future...  Overall, VS2010 is pretty sweet!

Friday, December 18, 2009 1:26 AM by nishit_123

I am very eager to install Rosario in my PC!

Friday, December 18, 2009 1:46 AM by Phong Hoang

Now that's what I call listening to your customers!  Beta 2 is definitely not in shippping quality, very good call.

Friday, December 18, 2009 4:49 AM by Adam

Hi Scott,

This is good news. Will the RC include an update to TFS 2010 as well? And will it still support the upgrade path from Beta 2 through to release as before for current systems being used?

Cheers,

A

Friday, December 18, 2009 6:07 AM by Axel

I've seen "environmental" issues with VS2010 when compiling 32 and 64-bit native code: for some reason it insists in putting the path to the \bin folder in my platform sdk before all other paths, and I did not find a way to edit this in the projects settings, the paths looks "inherited". The result is that it is using the wrong tools and I cannot compile anything (I get TRK0002 errors). The only workaround I found was to rename my "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.0\Bin" into something else, as I found no way to edit the "VC++ Directories".

Friday, December 18, 2009 6:18 AM by Axel

Please provide an option to lock all the docking and dragging around of windows and toolbars. 99% of the time, I end-up with floating pop-ups that I sometimes spends lot of time re-docking to their place just by accidentally double-clicking somewhere. On VS2008 double-clicking the caption sent the popup back where it was docked, but on 2010 it maximizes the window. This behavior may be great for some people but for me, setting up the environment is a 1-time job and all subsequent undockings are accidental. Please add an option to lock everything down, including all toolbars and everything that can possibly move.

Friday, December 18, 2009 6:45 AM by Malcom

Since VS 2010 & .NET 4 Update is already released. I'm now still using VS2008 & .NETFrameWork 3.5.  How can I get a copy of VS2010 for test?

Friday, December 18, 2009 6:57 AM by German

What is the estimated date for go-live silverlight 4 and its final version?

Friday, December 18, 2009 8:37 AM by Altug

Good idea. I have been seeing blog posts on some issues and requests to release another build before the RTM. Great to see that MS is listening to community more and more. Thanks Scott.

Friday, December 18, 2009 9:17 AM by Leo

Is there some more information about ASP.NET charting improvements?

Friday, December 18, 2009 11:31 AM by pita.o

@Scott: How will the delay in final release (spoken of in Soma's blog) affect Azure people yearning to target 4.0 ... with heightened expectations for Feb/Mar timeframe? Should this affect them too? My desire is that it shouldn't have to if you already have a code freeze on the CLR itself.

NOTE: I know you have already responded to a similar question (and don't know the ETA) but I am asking more in terms of if any ongoing plan to put 4.0 on Azure will be put on hold until the RC dust clears.

Friday, December 18, 2009 12:19 PM by CanadianJames

@Tray > The Beta 2 build of Visual Studio 2010 is already better than the first RTM bits for 2005, IMO.

I am completely okay with this and the opportunity to submit more feedback about the new batch of tools.  I'm looking forward to the new MVC bits escpecially, specifically a deeper experience for tooling that I know is coming.

FYI folks: downloading the beta is not the same as *participating* in the beta.  Make sure you're in the forums, asking questions about the product and sending info to MS.  I have submitted a couple of performace profile dumps to the team and they are super-responsive.

A few weeks wait for a better product is a no-brainer for me, even more so because we get the interim build to tie us over.

Cheers,

-James

Friday, December 18, 2009 12:48 PM by Ryan Ternier

Scott,

Great job! I've been using 2010 for the past few months on small utility projects for inhouse development and I do say it's an amazing system. A lot of new features are quite amazing.

The only thing I do wish is that there were some more administrative features on the TFS side - having to run queries / command line statements to get specific tasks done is a pain.

There is one bug I keep seeing, is when my processor is heavily taxed, VS 2010 will load the Team Explorer source code window - even though that window is closed, which will sometimes bomb the app.

Friday, December 18, 2009 12:49 PM by pbz

Focus on performance = music to my ears :)

Friday, December 18, 2009 1:12 PM by MicrosoftAjax Intellisense

When I used VS2010 for MicrosoftAjax4.0 developement, the intellisense is not showing the properties of Sys. For example: Sys.Application...,Sys.UI.DataView etc.,

Can I expect the intellisense for MSAjax in rc.

Friday, December 18, 2009 1:14 PM by VistaDB

Wow, this is big news.  I thought Mar was too agressive.  But does this mean all those tickets we have that MS closed saying it was "too late" to address these issues might be reviewed again?  We have some tickets from late 2008 that were just recently closed as not feasible to fix in 2010 due to time constraints.

Friday, December 18, 2009 2:47 PM by Roeland Jimenenz

What does this mean for Silverlight 4?

Friday, December 18, 2009 2:50 PM by John Sonmez

Good move.  I am sure it will pay off.  Way to fight the pressure.

Friday, December 18, 2009 2:54 PM by Sam

Scott,

Good decision by Microsoft. VS.NET 2010 crashes very frequently when working with XAML and Silverlight. These deserve more justice in terms of performance and stability within VS.NET 2010!

Saturday, December 19, 2009 11:20 AM by Alex

still downloading my copy :)

Sunday, December 20, 2009 8:10 AM by alemarko

All the hype about VS2010 is about Silverlight, ASP.NET MVC, WPF and MEF...

I would like to know what is going on with mobile devices and compact framework:

1) will there be .net CF 4.0 (if yes, when)?

2) will the development for mobile device be supported in VS2010 (if yes, when - RC or RTM)?

Thanks in advance,

Alex

Sunday, December 20, 2009 8:17 AM by Adil Mughal

Nice decision... better be late than unstable :)

Sunday, December 20, 2009 10:15 AM by profyw

vs2010 is very nice!!

Sunday, December 20, 2009 9:46 PM by Matt Shannon

I am sure this has been reported, so I won't annoy you with another email. Just in case though..

I'd like to see Intellisense fixed in the markup of my views in MVC. I think the majority of people are still using WebForms for MVC, and we don't get intellisense against our model when the server-side markup <%= %> is within double quotes.

Sunday, December 20, 2009 10:01 PM by jack.niu

we are waiting for the VS2010 and .NET 4.0 :)

Monday, December 21, 2009 3:38 AM by Matthias Huber

We are currently in the transitioning to TFS and will start soon to migrate our existing code from Perforce to the TFS SCC. As this will take a long time (weeks, not days), we need a go-live path from Beta 2 over RC to RTM, without losing the imported data. Will this be possible?

Monday, December 21, 2009 3:47 AM by Chris P. Johnson

Good to know that the stability and reliability of the product comes first, and that release dates are secondary priority at Microsoft.

Monday, December 21, 2009 4:59 AM by Anton

Hi Scott,

Are you planning to stretch out the release cycles between VS 2010 and future versions.  Considering VS2010 will be released late the product wont be out long enough and you will have already rolled out VS2012.  Its hard enough trying to keep up with the constant new releases and also trying to convince my boss to buy the latest products is a pain.

Thanks

Monday, December 21, 2009 5:03 AM by moredotnet

Hi, it would be great if VS 2010 is released with lots of well tested software development toolkits/templates. This makes life lot easier for developers, than going for third party components and downloading templates from the web.

Also, make sure you look into 32bit-64bit compatibility issues. I still find lots in framework 3.5. I rather call it as the "Bit Hell".

Monday, December 21, 2009 4:25 PM by Eric

Scott,

Will Web Deployment Projects be supported?

Monday, December 21, 2009 5:53 PM by John Waters

Awesome, great news. Will any of the RIA Services and Entity Framework 4 fixes be in this release too?

Tuesday, December 22, 2009 5:36 AM by Zetaclear Review

The goal behind the Release Candidate is to get broad feedback on the readiness of the product.  In order to ensure that we are able to receive and react to this feedback, we will also be moving the launch of Visual Studio 2010 and .NET 4 back a few weeks.

Tuesday, December 22, 2009 12:19 PM by David

beta 2 dont install any better than beta 1 did it still crashes when trying to install the help

and getting help from microsoft is impossible you send them all the information they request then they forget about you and let you hang out to dry with a half installed version

Tuesday, December 22, 2009 3:35 PM by John A Davis

Will the FTP stuff work any better or quicker? Kinda sad stuff currently in VS2008 sp1

Tuesday, December 22, 2009 5:58 PM by atarikg

These days Microsoft is working too hard, I hope they can handle this work pressure and I really love to see Final version of Visual Studio 2010 because it is quite different from previous versions.

Thanks.

Thursday, December 24, 2009 8:11 AM by Myong

Will VS2010 have automatic support for a solution with multiple web application projects?  Currently you need to go through the tedious task of setting up IIS server override in the project file (setting the project url and then the overriding the root url) in order for the correct reference to user controls.

Monday, December 28, 2009 4:42 AM by Deep

Dear Scott,

We just started [one month back] one new project using MVC 2 RC [using VS2008 SP1], but are facing lot of problems in doing the basic stuff which earlier was pieces of cake. Some of the issues we are facing:

Handling Session [though we are doing but not sure the best way]

Validation of controls while Updating records [its fine while insert]

Validation [in Insert] for Optional Integer data type

Multilingual [we were quite happy with simple resource files, but now not sure how to do]

There are many sample projects on MVC 1 are available for learning, but nothing that we saw is for MVC 2.  Will be great if you give some pointers to the one doing all basic stuff in MVC 2.

Thanx & Regards,

Deep

Monday, December 28, 2009 2:21 PM by Anne

The AdditionalIncludeDirectories bug is hampering my CI effort - do we know exactly when in Feb this RC is going to be released????

This may disqualify Microsoft from the whole shooting match....

Monday, December 28, 2009 2:52 PM by Anne

Attribute 'Detect64BitPortabilityProblems' of 'VCCLCompilerTool' is not supported in this version and has been removed during conversion.">

Has this problem been resolved in the Release Candidate?

Monday, December 28, 2009 6:00 PM by z3lanh.com

Monday, December 28, 2009 8:00 PM by John

Will Silverlight 4 be included in VS 2010 RTM?

Tuesday, December 29, 2009 4:23 PM by Richa Prasad [MSFT]

@Anne

Could you elaborate on the issue you are seeing with AdditionalIncludeDirectories? Please contact me at richap @ microsoft.com

Thanks!

Wednesday, December 30, 2009 7:12 PM by Giammarco Schisani

Great, thanks for sharing.

Monday, January 4, 2010 1:13 AM by Deep

Dear Scott,

I know the holidays are going on :-) but just wanted to inform that we have settled most of the issues, except for the "Validation of controls while Updating records [its fine while insert]"

Still looking for some good sample project.

Regards,

Deep

Monday, January 4, 2010 3:19 PM by sami11

Here is an article on some of new features in asp.net 4.0

www.codeproject.com/.../Whatis_New_ASP_Net_4.aspx

Monday, January 4, 2010 4:13 PM by Marat

Scott, it is great that you guys decided to spend more time on improving the performance of the Visual Studio 2010.  I found some performance issues for example: Adding controls to the ToolBox from the Choose Items... menu is supper slow.  It is important for us to have better performance than new features.

Tuesday, January 5, 2010 3:05 PM by Sean

Thanks for the update.  Glad to know you are working on the performance issues.  I'm anxious to get the RC.  However, I wish you would release updates periodically to the beta testers, and after the official release for that matter.  It stinks having to go 3-4 months without an update.  If you fix a bunch of issues, and they are passed and closed internally, then push out an update so we can be current.  I would love to see multiple branches available to the public e.g. current release, stable dev, unstable dev, etc.  I know you have to careful and conservative, but a lot of us want to be on the bleeding edge.

Wednesday, January 6, 2010 11:40 AM by Adrian

Great job ! Only two thing I would like to point here: first is the Multiple control selection in the web designer that still does not allow drag / copy / past of the entire selection. That is a huge productivity help, that is missing. Any plans to have it in the final release? Secondly is the documentation available as a separate download? because I could not get the installed one to work, getting MSHelpListener .net erros, changed the port to 81 but still not working properly.

Thursday, January 7, 2010 11:48 AM by Adrian

Hi,

Thanks for the email, Scott. I entered a comment on Jan 6th and it is still not showing up ... what is happening?

Adrian

Friday, January 8, 2010 12:53 AM by Thomas

Scott,

One issue I am trying to solve with Silverlight is connecting to Help files (or their replacement). Can you advise how to deliver 'help' to users of Silverlight applications?

Example: Could April Regan (MS Help Viewer) and the Silverlight Toolkit team discuss developing a Silverlight control for MS Help Viewer 1 files?

Thomas

Friday, January 8, 2010 1:44 AM by Jamie Clayton

My VS 2010 Beta 2 experience with WPF + SQL Reporting applications has been 100% IDE crash when trying to compile GUI.  I haven't enjoyed this at all. It would be good if you could allow so ability to join the nightly build (even periodically) to see if the stability issues are getting resolved.

Monday, January 11, 2010 2:18 PM by Dave

My boss I guess read somewhere that MS supports Beta 2 in that no major changes (just performance) will be made and somehow it's 100% safe to just go ahead and start using beta 2 in that the core API isn't going to be changed and there will be no issues to move from Beta to final deploy once it's out from MS?  I don't know where he'd get such an assumption.

Wednesday, January 13, 2010 12:30 PM by Chance

My team has been using VS 2010 Beta 2 since its release and we don't have problems. At least no more than the other versions of VS. We are building a brand new product using this and it's been great. We have a team of eight(8) developers all running Win 7.

Sunday, January 17, 2010 10:57 AM by Neelakandan

Waiting for that... Worked on beta 1 and reported some bugs. Got fixed in beta 2. Waiting for Public preview.

Saturday, January 23, 2010 12:36 PM by Gil.Y

The release candidate is required.

Working with WPF freezes VS2010 beta 2 keeps freezing:

in my situation it is mostly happens when VS2010 recieve the window focus after running the application - specificlly on windows 7 x64 ultimate. this does not happen in all machines and is probably related to some hardware configuration - My guess is that this happens more with quad core machines.

VS2010 is really a road-stone in windows apps development.

I just hope that the release date will be latened from 3.2010 to at least 5.2010 so the community feedbacks will be addressed and you guys can work it out in full.

Tuesday, January 26, 2010 8:21 AM by Eric Ouellet

Hello Scott,

Is it possible that the release candidate has more functionnalities than the beta ? Mainly in term of code generation and reverse engineering of UML design ?

Does a Release Candidate has always the exact functionnalities of the beta with bug and performance issues fixed ?

Thanks,

Eric

Saturday, January 30, 2010 10:09 AM by Neal Gabriel

Hey Scott,

VS 2010 seems to have excellent features, But there are something which needs attention. I have been using this for the past 1 month and I am kinda Ok with the way VS behaves, infact major issue with this is memory leak (I believe), Let it be I can avoid that. Some other flaws I faced are as follows.

When you are doing something and, the application crashes.. (This is added in MS Connect with DMP file)

The intelisense stops in between... (Existing bug in MS Connect)

This was the case a week back.. I can ignore it since VS is in Beta..

But now, The case is different. When I open an Existing XAML or create a new XAML user control (Silverlight application) VS Crashes even before it gets loaded.. I have added the .DMP file to MS Connect and I am just updating you regarding this issue

Thanks a lot, We all will try together to release a very good VS 2010 final pdct..

Wednesday, February 3, 2010 2:22 AM by quang cao online

Monday, February 8, 2010 7:14 AM by Dave

Any sign of the RC build yet?  It's February......

Monday, February 8, 2010 6:45 PM by Jason

Last I heard, today was the day for the RC.  Any news?

Also, why is Microsoft being so tight lipped about Mobile Support in all their products.  I can't find anything about when Sync Framewor 2.0 or Visual Studio 2010 will support smart devices anywere.

Tuesday, February 9, 2010 10:10 AM by Bowtrol

Yes this is taking ages to download.

Wednesday, February 10, 2010 2:48 PM by bykinag

Hi Scott.

Can you please tell us, that RC support Silverlight 4 and WCF RIA Services ?

Thanks.

Thursday, February 11, 2010 11:42 AM by Theo Zographos

Hello,

I have posted some VS 2010 Beta2 bugs in the MS forum (from annoying to performance to severe).

Is there a newer release so that we can actually verify the changes implemented so far by the team?

Keep up the good work.

Thanks.

Friday, February 12, 2010 5:15 PM by Visual C# Kicks

I have absolutely loved the Beta 2 release and I am currently downloading the RC. I have high expectations!!