Visual Studio 2010 Keyboard Shortcuts

Earlier this week the Visual Studio team released updated VS 2010 Keyboard Shortcut Posters.  These posters are print-ready documents (that now support standard paper sizes), and provide nice “cheat sheet” tables that can help you quickly lookup (and eventually memorize) common keystroke commands within Visual Studio.

image

This week’s updated posters incorporate a number of improvements:

• Letter-sized (8.5”x11”) print ready versions are now available
  • A4-sized (210x297mm) print ready versions are now available
  • The goofy people pictures on them are gone (thank goodness)

The posters are in PDF format – enabling you to easily download and print them using whichever paper size is in your printer.

Download the Posters

You can download the VS 2010 Keybinding posters in PDF format here.

Posters are available for each language.  Simply look for the download that corresponds to your language preference (note: CSharp = C#, VB = VB, FSharp = F#, CPP = C++).

Hope this helps,

Scott

P.S. In addition to blogging, I am also now using Twitter for quick updates and to share links. Follow me at: twitter.com/scottgu

Published Thursday, July 29, 2010 1:51 AM by ScottGu

Comments

# re: Visual Studio 2010 Keyboard Shortcuts

Thursday, July 29, 2010 5:38 AM by AlexanderB

Oh, I wish to had such poster! Thanks for sharing this :)

Thursday, July 29, 2010 5:49 AM by bitslogic

Hi Scott,

I am a big fan of yours, I admire your new ideas and knowledge. This is my first reply to your blog. It is so nice of you sharing as always. Take care and always enlighten us all for your brightfull blog entries.

Thursday, July 29, 2010 7:31 AM by James Orr

Thanks Scott!  My co-workers and I had a bit of a laugh over the last batch of shortcut posters, where amid all the careful cramming of so much information into so little space, there was a giant clipart dude smiling out from a good half page or so.  He was creepy enough to prevent me from sticking it on the wall of my workstation.

Thursday, July 29, 2010 7:45 AM by Mido Hamido

Great thanks scott, time ti print it and hang on my wall

Thursday, July 29, 2010 8:14 AM by Paul Selormey

Thanks, the formatting is good and the use of PDF makes it light.

Wished someone will put the C# 4 Language Specification in a better format with clickable table of contents.

Thursday, July 29, 2010 8:56 AM by Justinpdavis

Scott, your blog is on my top ten list I look forward to reading every day!  Thanks for taking the time to share with us.

Thursday, July 29, 2010 9:21 AM by A

I use a small number of simple shortcuts; The only chords I use are the comment and uncomment.

In 2008, it takes quite a few changes to be able to get CTRL+B to build and CTRL+SHIFT+B to build solution instead of "waiting for second key of chord".

Thursday, July 29, 2010 9:29 AM by Vadim

Good on hand poster! Print and put on desc )

Thursday, July 29, 2010 9:34 AM by catto_b

Hey Now Scott,

Great Post!

Thursday, July 29, 2010 10:33 AM by J. Jones

Scott,

Thursday, July 29, 2010 11:07 AM by corietc

Note for future downloaders, the HiRes versions of the pdfs (well, at least the C# one) has the printer registration marks for sending to a printer company.  The low-res one is the full-page version.

Thursday, July 29, 2010 11:31 AM by Eric Blair

Thursday, July 29, 2010 2:08 PM by Thanigainathan

Hi Scott,

Thanks for sharing this link.

Thursday, July 29, 2010 2:36 PM by Michael Schall

They look very nice!

Thursday, July 29, 2010 5:14 PM by ScottGu

@bitslogic,

>>>>>>>>> This is my first reply to your blog. It is so nice of you sharing as always.

Cool - thanks!

Scott

Thursday, July 29, 2010 5:19 PM by ScottGu

@James,

>>>>>>>> He was creepy enough to prevent me from sticking it on the wall of my workstation.

I thought that those people in the original posters were pretty creepy too - thankfully they are gone now :-)

Thanks,

Scott

Thursday, July 29, 2010 5:26 PM by ScottGu

@A,

>>>>>>>>> Is there a set of shortcuts that doesn't have the multi-key (chord) shortcuts or maybe a lot fewer of them?

You can actually customize any of the keybindings if you want - that way you can map common actions to a single key if you prefer.

Go to Tools->Options and select the keyboard node on the left to map keys to any action.

Hope this helps,

Scott

Thursday, July 29, 2010 5:28 PM by ScottGu

@J. Jones,

>>>>>>>>>I like the format of the poster, and the 8 1/2 x 11 layout is convenient to print, but it makes the font too small (7 pt) for me to read easily.  Do you know if they have any recommendations on how to scale it up?  Or can they make a version that has larger (e.g. 9 or 10 pt) type and maybe spreads to 3 or 4 pages instead of 2?  Helpful for developers over 40.

Unfortunately I don't know of any scaled up versions.  What you could probably do, though, is take it to Kinkos and they might be able to print out the high-res version on a bigger paper size.

Hope this helps,

Scott

Thursday, July 29, 2010 5:29 PM by ScottGu

@Matt,

>>>>>>>>>> My installation of VS2010 does not allow me to enter a new line character when pressing SHIFT+RETURN in the C# code editor. Everyone else at work can do this.

This sounds suspiciously like you might have a VS plugin installed that is misbehaving. What plugins are you currently running with?

Thanks,

Scott

Thursday, July 29, 2010 5:29 PM by ScottGu

@Eric Blair,

>>>>>>>>> Can anyone tell me what is happening when you hold ctrl and hit R then A (keeping ctrl depressed)?  I done this in error attempting to run all tests in my solution, and was dumbfounded at the bizarre behaviour of my tests: some tests that would pass if I ran them alone (or later when I used the correct shortcut) failed in a predictable fashion (the same tests would pass or fail each time). I do not have resharper or anything like that installed.

Hmm - I'm not sure what the problem is.  Send me email (scottgu@microsoft.com) and we can help.

Thanks,

Scott

Thursday, July 29, 2010 5:30 PM by ScottGu

@Michael,

>>>>>>>>>> Any chance we could get the same for the "General Development Settings"?  We are a VB shop on the back end, but back when VS 2002 came out most of us were used to the Visual InterDev key bindings so we have always selected "General Development Settings".  Are their major differences between General and say C#?

Good question!  I just sent mail to someone on the VS team to try and find out the answer to this.

Hope this helps,

Scott

Friday, July 30, 2010 12:59 AM by Kamran

Good, because I made local copies of the old shortcuts in letter-sized format (using Photoshop), so at least this is official!

Friday, July 30, 2010 10:40 AM by A

HI Scott, thanks for the reply.

I'm familiar with changing the key bindings, the difficulty I've had configuring simple shortcuts like CTRL+B is that I have to find and unbind all the chords that start with CTRL+B before my simple one will work.

Saturday, July 31, 2010 5:08 AM by Peter

Why is there NEVER a poster for us who use the General Development Settings?

Saturday, July 31, 2010 7:26 AM by bmwz9

That's great thank you

Tuesday, August 3, 2010 10:42 AM by David Fauber

Very nice, thanks!

Kind of a derail but I figure I'll ask this here...I've noticed in VS2010 somehow my shift+delete randomly stops working until I go into options and do a "reset to defaults".  I don't have any add-ons installed on this copy and am not making any hotkey changes from the defaults, has anyone noticed anything similar or have any idea what might be happening here?

Wednesday, August 4, 2010 5:20 AM by Microsoft MCSE Training Courses

That's great! Thanks Scott.

Wednesday, August 4, 2010 10:07 AM by Roman

Nice! Very useful!

Wednesday, August 11, 2010 8:37 PM by Jeorge Peter

Great additional information, now it save you time. All you need now is to familiarized these shortcuts.

Thursday, September 2, 2010 4:09 PM by Eray Aydoğdu

Very nice.Thanks Scott. It's usefull for me..