ASP.NET 4.5 Series

Over the next few months I’m going to be doing a series of posts that talk about some of the cool new features coming with the next releases of ASP.NET and Visual Studio (which we will start talking about more in the months ahead).  They contain a ton of new functionality and improvements – for both Web Forms and MVC - that I think you’ll really like, and which make building applications easier, faster and better.

I will update this page with links to the individual posts I do as I publish them along the way:

Hope this helps,

Scott

P.S. In addition to blogging, I use Twitter to-do quick posts and share links.  My Twitter handle is: @scottgu

Published Wednesday, August 31, 2011 10:59 PM by ScottGu
Filed under: , ,

Comments

# re: ASP.NET vNext Series

Thursday, September 1, 2011 3:02 AM by Rasyadi

Hi Scott,

Any timeline/roadmap for the next release of ASP.NET vNext?

Thanks, Ras

Thursday, September 1, 2011 9:09 AM by csstemplates

can you please add a newsletter kind of thing on your website so I could subscribe to certain type of posts,

for example I want to receive an email when you post first ASP.NET vNext Series

thanks!

Thursday, September 1, 2011 11:34 AM by jackma

Glad you are back for blogging, Scott.

Thursday, September 1, 2011 12:12 PM by rickj1

I've watched the quick hit videos on vNext pretty fany stuff model binding in WebForms is awesome cross browser snippits for css love it

Great work Thanks

Thursday, September 1, 2011 5:17 PM by Hoogoo

Great stuff, keep going!

Thursday, September 1, 2011 7:53 PM by Lachlan

Good to see some effort is still going into WebForms. MVC seems to be all the rage, and I can appreciate that from a beginners point of view it is probably easier/simpler, but for those of us who have gone through the massive learning curve of Webforms it is extremely flexible and powerful, so good to see it still being supported.

Friday, September 2, 2011 2:48 AM by SergeyS

>>>>>Lachlan wrote: Now my 2c on Silverlight, since the discussion seems to be very one-sided on MS forums. I for one would be glad to see Silverlight die (unnecessary proprietary platform), and welcome the rise of HTML5/CSS3/Javascript. With the right tooling (XAML -> Javascript converter?) I think this will be a big improvement. From a developers point of view I want to be using technologies that I can guarantee will still be around in 3 years (in some form or another).<<<<<

I'd agree with that. And, probably, I'm missing something as I was off MS technologies for couple of years, I'd like to see VS2010/MVC/HTML5 integration good enough to allow developing web-based CAD systems.

Friday, September 2, 2011 3:34 AM by ScottGu

@Ras,

>>>>>> Any timeline/roadmap for the next release of ASP.NET vNext?

Not yet that I can share.  We'll be providing more details soon though.

Thanks,

Scott

Friday, September 2, 2011 3:35 AM by ScottGu

@Lachlin,

>>>>>> Not sure if this is your area, but it would also be great to see some effort in the WinForms area? i.e. New/updated controls? For basic business apps it is still hard to beat if you don't mind a bit of ugly.

You will see some improvements to WinForms as well with the next release of .NET and VS, as well as a bunch of framework improvements that you can use with it.

Hope this helps,

Scott

Friday, September 2, 2011 4:15 AM by cjmos

New version of Visual Studio!? I've only just managed to persuade the boss to upgrade to 2010!

Friday, September 2, 2011 5:29 PM by Chris Glenn

We are using custom editor templates heavily and I think a new feature should be the ability to aggregate your custom editor templates into a single template file. We have several files that have just a few lines of code. Sure would be easier to manage our projects with lower number of files. I have not found anything out there and do not have time to create the feature so if you know of this feature please advise.

Saturday, September 3, 2011 1:41 AM by Ashutosh

I thought you guys were focusing on HTML5 ....why asp again? why not some cool features in VS to support dev of HTML5 web aps ??

Saturday, September 3, 2011 2:23 AM by afei59

Valuable information and excellent design you got here! I would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts and time into the stuff you post!! Thumbs up!

Monday, September 5, 2011 3:22 AM by MisterFantastic

Thats wonderful and very interesting post.

Monday, September 5, 2011 8:48 AM by ALI

just started mvc3, will get update by the time you will publish. looking forward to it

Monday, September 5, 2011 10:08 AM by dking

>>> You will see some improvements to WinForms as well with the next release of .NET and VS, as well as a bunch of framework improvements that you can use with it

THANK YOU! WPF is great but WinForms is better for LOB applications. We are heavily invested in WinForms and were disapointed with the lack of attention in VS2010.

Monday, September 5, 2011 10:51 PM by Manveer Singh

This is a so amazing for me............& Helpful for all......

Tuesday, September 6, 2011 4:55 PM by David

I was hoping for vNext of web forms a really good model for both server and client-side behavior; right now, integrating jQuery or other javascript libraries with web forms is a really kludgy, as opposed to MVC. The real crux of this problem is that web forms was designed in an era before building sophisticated interaction on the client was really practical, and it shows!

Thursday, September 8, 2011 11:28 AM by mcp111

When will asp.net vNext be released?

Friday, September 9, 2011 9:06 AM by Shashi

Why is WebForms is being enhanced at all? I would think the best thing MS can do is make it easier to clean up/maintain existing WebForms code. Isn't MVC the way to go for new projects? I haven't written any real WebForms code so perhaps someone who's done this understands why.

Friday, September 9, 2011 12:31 PM by hajan

Amazing stuff! I 'smell' many other cool features in the ASP.NET vNext ;)... Although some developers are more focused on ASP.NET MVC, others on ASP.NET WebForms, I think Microsoft has to make efforts to improve both platforms. In real-life industry projects I see many seniors are giving equal value to both platforms because both can serve well for different types of projects.

Thumbs up & Keep up the great work!

Saturday, September 10, 2011 3:32 PM by salati

Valuable information and very interesting post.

Thursday, September 15, 2011 7:55 AM by Mastan Oli

Thanks for sharing Scott.

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 8:25 AM by varunmaggo

Superb! Thanks for the share!

Friday, September 23, 2011 4:31 PM by imfarrukhkhan

Thanks for sharing Scott.

Friday, September 23, 2011 5:34 PM by Jalpesh P. Vadgama

Hello Scott,

Nice Job done by you and Your team!!. Thank you very much for this kind of series.

Best Regards,

Jalpesh

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 2:05 AM by oleg.ignatov

Thanks for updating you blog

Thursday, October 13, 2011 5:23 AM by findway

interesting post ,thanks for your sharing .

Wednesday, October 19, 2011 1:43 PM by Paris web designers

very helpful.

thanks for  sharing .

Thursday, October 20, 2011 3:41 PM by twoddle

Where are examples of high quality web applications built using ASP.NET?

In my career as web app develoer for over 10 years I have never seen one ...

I *have* seen lots of low quality web apps with serious flaws.