As it has been announced earlier, in new operational system Windows 7 it is possible to easily change a background of a logon screen. For this purpose it is not required to change resources in executable files or to carry out still any special actions. Process of changing of the image is very simple and can be executed without use of additional tools. This functionality is accessible and correctly works since 7057 build.
To change a background on the logon screen it is necessary to do following steps.
- To open the registry editor and to find section “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE –> Software –> Microsoft –> Windows –> CurrentVersion –> Authentication –> LogonUI –> Background”. In this section there is a special key “OEMBackground” (DWORD type). Value “1” herein says that it is necessary to use special appearance of the logon screen. If the key does not exist, he can be created manually.
- To be convinced, that there is folder “%windir%\system32\oobe\info\backgrounds”. Here Windows 7 will search for background images for the logon screen. If this folder does not exist, she is necessary for creating.
- To put in this folder all necessary images. For each screen resolution it is necessary to put the image in this folder with a specific name. If the image with the necessary name is not found, file backgroundDefault.jpg will be used. It is important, that each image should be no more than 256 KB, differently it will be ignored. The list of files which are necessary for putting in this folder:
- background768×1280.jpg (0.6)
- background900×1440.jpg (0.625)
- background960×1280.jpg (0.75)
- background1024×1280.jpg (0.8)
- background1280×1024.jpg (1.25)
- background1024×768.jpg (1.33)
- background1280×960.jpg (1.33)
- background1600×1200.jpg (1.33)
- background1440×900.jpg (1.6)
- background1920×1200.jpg (1.6)
- background1280×768.jpg (1.66)
- background1360×768.jpg (1.770833)
- For display of changes there is no necessity to reboot. It is enough to lock Windows (Win + L) or to leave a current session (Log off).
Also it is possible to take advantage of 3rd-party utilities. One of such utilities – Tweaks Logon Changer for Windows 7. This utility will execute all necessary changes in the system registry, and also will compress the image till the necessary sizes and will put in the necessary folder.