But in my job I have to wear the DBA hat quite often. I was having a problem today where a query that returns 200 rows was taking 16 seconds to return to my application. The same query run in Query Analyzer came back in .47 seconds. Huh?
One of my co-workers suggested that I run a stored procedure "sp_updateStats" against my database. That fixed the problem. I'm putting this here for future reference, and in case anyone else runs into the same issue. I also added a DBMaintenance object to my application class so that I can update statistics whenever the need arises.
I've been practicting Test Driven Development pretty religiously for about a year now. That and the reading I've done on design patterns and software architecture have dramatically improved my software design and quality. I've got an automated build server set up as well.
That said, I need to print a Reporting Services report directly to the printer. I have code that works, but I haven't been able to figure out how to write a unit test for this that can be executed by the build server. I don't want the build server to send the report to an in-house printer everytime it runs. I'd much rather print it to a file, but a file printer asks for user input (the file name).
I"ll blog more about this later. For the past few months I've been immersed in the project I'm working on. (Deep breath) Guess I should get back to it now :-)