There has been a lot of talk about the contents of this site recently. Lets look at some basics:
- This site is a weblog site. Weblogs are effectively individual diaries. Individual is a key term. Typically, weblogs can have just about any content.
- Keeping multiple weblogs is hard and downright painful. Deciding what should go where is crazy. Having one is the best thing. The question becomes how to divide the content out.
- This site is a .NET community site. .NET oriented content is fairly important to the concept of this site as a community.
- This site is a technology community site. Technical content is fairly important to the concept of this site as a community.
- I never signed any kind of contract or made any type of agreement that I can remember to get a blog here. I just asked ScottW for a blog here back in 2003 and got one.
- I haven't seen the first documentation on what the features on the admin section mean. I've been able to figure things out, but there are still things I don't understand. If anyone does have some documention and would share it, that would be great.
- Developers and technical types are hard people to work with. They are typically very cynical. We spend too much time working with technology and too little time working with others.
These requirements are sometimes in conflict with each other. We need to realize that.
We also need to realize that there are people on the other end of each one of these blogs. As developers and technical types, we have not fully developed the interpersonal skills to deal with others the way that people in other industries have.
I'd like to ask that if you post anything, within reason (and no pr0n or other adult content), on the blogs here. If it is technical, then great. If it is not, then put something in the post title that shows it as being Off-Topic, Not-Technical, or to not post the content into the main feed. The next question is obviously how to properly put something in your blog and not have it show up in the mainfeed. It seems that everything I try either appears in the mainfeed anyway, or doesn't appear on my blog at all.
This is just a starting point, so what's your view on this?