While I as sitting here fiddling with things this evening, I decided to do a little test to see just how well full-text search worked in Yukon. Man, I was blown away. Granted I don't have millions of rows in my table to search through, but I do have a system with about 70,000 rows setup for full-text search and am adding them at the rate of about 40 URLs per minute (hey I am bandwidth constrained at my office). I decided to do a full-text lookup for 'President Bush' on the Yukon database while simultaneously runing the spider and having already setup a full-text index in Yukon. In just a few seconds, I got about 200 rows back. Doing this same test on my other system that is running Sql Server 2000 and is taking hours to build the full-text index resulted in a query that took several orders of magnitude longer to search a table with about 700,000 rows in it. Now, I realize that this is not a fair comparison for several reasons. Once the full-text index is built on my Sql Server 2000 system, I am going to run a comparison. No, I am not going to post the complete results.
Here is the sql statement I ran:
select * from tblSearchResults where contains(SearchText, '"President Bush"')