ADO.NET Data Services in.NET 3.5 SP1 Beta1

I started working on an example using the ADO.NET Data Services (formerly Astoria) in .NET 3.5 SP!.  ADO.NET Data Services uses the Entity Framework to expose data to clients in a restful manner.  Its ideally suited to data access over ajax clients.  For some reason, my sample wouldn't completely run.  I could query and delete, but no inserty or updatey action would work.  The error messages I got were crap merely saying that the operation failed.  What good are those messages?  I posted some messages and I decided to contact Pablo Castro about the issue.  Pablo was his usual helpful self.  He gave me a bunch of suggestions.  I went through them and it looked like I needed to have the VJ# redistributable installed.  I then mucked up my VPC session.  I went back and started from the beginning with a fresh VPC.  I installed VJ# redistributable, .NET 3.5 SP1 beta1, Sql Express Management Studio, and voila, I got meaningful error messages finally.  With the meaningful error messages, it was cake to fix the updatey problem.  The inserty problem magically resolved itself.  All was right with the world.  Expect a video podcast on this topic shortly along with source code examples and things that tripped me up in the process..

No Comments