Follow me on Twitter at Twitter.com/wbm
FYI, I'm blogging most of my stuff over at More Wally now.
You might want to add my rss feed to your reader at:http://morewally.com/cs/blogs/wallym/rss.aspx
Vista 5308 in a VPC - Wallace B. McClure

Wallace B. McClure

All About Wally McClure - The musings of Wallym on Web, HTML5, Mobile, Xamarin.iOS, Xamarin.Android, and Windows Azure.

News

Visual Studio Magazine Column Personal Blog

.NET

Book Authors

Business

Family

Friends

Georgia Tech Bloggers

Personal

Archives

Vista 5308 in a VPC

I have no idea if this will work, but I am trying to install Windows Vista Build 5308 into a VPC image.  The first hurdle that I ran into is that the drive partition is not automatically recognized by Vista.  I rebooted my VPC session and on the second attempt, Vista recognized the partition.  More info to come.

Update #1:  Install completed.

Update #2:  Having a devil of a time getting IIS7 to install.

Wally

Comments

Stefano Demiliani said:

This is the question I've asked this morning... I'm waiting for your news :)
Please post some useful infos on how to install it under VPC (if possible).
# February 28, 2006 8:14 AM

karl said:

I'm doing the same thing :)I gave the sucker 1gb of ram :)
# February 28, 2006 8:50 AM

Wallym said:

yep, I have it set for 1 gb of ram also. Still installing............
# February 28, 2006 8:51 AM

karl said:

Dunno how it's going for you, but it's too slow for me. I tried to give it more ram, give it less. Everything goes "Not responding". I did remove the nice theme, but that didn't seem to solve anyhting. I did see a couple neat things (like asking for permission before lauching tast manager) and stuff. Too bad I don't have a spare machine anywhere..I'm sure this is all VPC related...
# February 28, 2006 12:38 PM

Steve Maine said:

I tried this out over the weekend...with marginal success. I was able to get the OS to install and boot just fine, but there was a CPU utilization issue that rendered the image pretty unusable - for some reson the CPU idles at 100% CPU utilization :(.

# February 28, 2006 12:41 PM

Robert Hurlbut said:

I learned awhile ago not to try running Vista on VPC. These days, I have a multi-boot partition for it that I can image and wipe away as needed for the next iteration.
# February 28, 2006 8:50 PM

Eric Golpe said:

Yup, I VPC'ed mine and even with the tweak guide and pruning services Im still getting 100% CPU outta the gate. using VPC w SP1. Seems like its in the explorer process to me? Anyone got any ideas how to patch it?? As a developer it sure would be the right thing to run it as a VPC image..

BTW, Wally, where did you get the IIS7 Beta? Email me that one ericgolpeAT-NOSPAMhotmail.com
# March 20, 2006 4:44 AM