One of the Dangers of software development: Easy to Say != Easy to Do
One of the dangers of software development is that people tend to
believe that because something is easy to say means that it is easy to
do. For example, all Windows does is provide a user interface to load
programs and handle devices. This sounds rather easy. Unfortuantely,
it is over simplistic. Let's look at some of the issues that must be
- Handle the differences in video. There are many video cards on the market. How do you handle the differences between them?
- What should a user interface look like?
- What kinds of devices should be supported? Hard drives, USB, Firewire, Printers, etc.
- Who is responsible for handling these devices?
- How do you handle networks?
- On and on.....................
Just because something is easy to say, doesn't mean that it is easy to do.
Original post: http://morewally.com/cs/blogs/wallym/archive/2006/09/26/373.aspx