ADO.NET Data Services in.NET 3.5 SP1 Beta1
I started working on an example using the ADO.NET Data Services (formerly Astoria)
in .NET 3.5 SP!. ADO.NET Data Services uses the Entity Framework to
expose data to clients in a restful manner. Its ideally suited to data
access over ajax clients. For some reason, my sample wouldn't
completely run. I could query and delete, but no inserty or updatey
action would work. The error messages I got were crap merely saying
that the operation failed. What good are those messages? I posted
some messages and I decided to contact Pablo Castro
about the issue. Pablo was his usual helpful self. He gave me a bunch
of suggestions. I went through them and it looked like I needed to
have the VJ# redistributable installed. I then mucked up my VPC
session. I went back and started from the beginning with a fresh VPC.
I installed VJ# redistributable, .NET 3.5 SP1 beta1, Sql Express
Management Studio, and voila, I got meaningful error messages finally.
With the meaningful error messages, it was cake to fix the updatey
problem. The inserty problem magically resolved itself. All was right
with the world. Expect a video podcast on this topic shortly along
with source code examples and things that tripped me up in the process..