Ways to shutdown/restart your computer via Remote Desktop.

I don't how many times I've needed to reboot a machine while accessing it over Remote Desktop. I usually just open a command prompt and type shutdown -t 0 -r to reboot. However, Raymond provides four ways to do this.

When you are connected to a workstation via Remote Desktop, the "Turn Off Computer" option changes to "Disconnect". But what if you really want to turn off the computer, hibernate it, or put it on stand-by?

Note: These tips work on Windows XP, but there is no guarantee that they will work in future versions of Windows.

One way to do this is to run Task Manager and select your shutdown option from the "Shut Down" menu.

Another trick is to click on the desktop and type Alt+F4. This will call up the shutdown dialog, where you get the usual shutdown options like "Shut down", "Shut down without installing updates", "Restart", "Stand by", and "Hibernate".

These next two tricks are documented and will continue to work in future versions of Windows:

If you're a command line person, you can run shutdown.exe, but that program supports only shutdown and restart; it doesn't do stand-by or hibernate. But the shutdown.exe program has a serious flaw: It requires you to have administrator privileges. If you are a limited user with shutdown privileges, the shutdown.exe program will complain. (Which means that I don't use it.)

Finally, if your computer isn't using Fast User Switching, you can type the Ctrl+Alt+End hotkey, which is the Remote Desktop version of Ctrl+Alt+Del and consequently takes you to a dialog where you can do various system-type things, among them logging off and shutting down.

[How do I shut down a workstation via Remote Desktop?]

I wonder about the shutdown.exe requiring admin privileges. I'm running as non-admin on my Vista machine and I know I've used the shutdown.exe to reboot the computer a number of times, then again maybe this has been fixed in Vista. Anyway I'm going to keep all these ideas in mind the next time I need to reboot a computer over Remote Desktop. Thanks Raymond.

Published Saturday, October 21, 2006 3:17 PM by puzzlehacker

Comments

# re: Ways to shutdown/restart your computer via Remote Desktop.

You can also go to the Start menu and pull up Windows Security located just above Log off and Disconnect. Doing so will bring up the standard ctrl-alt-del window with Change Password, Shutdown, Task Manager, etc. I like the Alt-F4 tip myself. It's faster.

Friday, October 27, 2006 6:22 PM by Richard

# re: Ways to shutdown/restart your computer via Remote Desktop.

One other way, much like the Ctrl-Alt-Delete method that works for most all Versions of windows in a Remote Desktop is to use Ctrl-Alt-End, this will bring up a menu in which you can shut down, restart, or go into standby mode.

Monday, October 30, 2006 2:33 PM by John Wolfe

FYI:  ALT+F4 works on vista

Thursday, February 8, 2007 3:20 PM by JeffO

# re: Ways to shutdown/restart your computer via Remote Desktop.

You can use the shutdown.exe as a batch file.

Just go to notepad and type:

shutdown.exe -s

Save the file with a .bat extension.

Saturday, March 3, 2007 11:23 PM by Charles

# re: Ways to shutdown/restart your computer via Remote Desktop.

But my question is: How to wake up a computer that is in hibernation or stand by mode through the remote desktop?

Any ideas?

Tuesday, June 19, 2007 5:54 PM by gus

# re: Ways to shutdown/restart your computer via Remote Desktop.

THANKS! THE ALT 4 WORKS GREAT ON VISTA!

Friday, July 20, 2007 7:53 PM by JOE

# re: Ways to shutdown/restart your computer via Remote Desktop.

FYI: Using Ctrl+Alt+Delete then the standard shutdown options shut down my local PC, not the remote one.

Thursday, February 28, 2008 10:07 AM by Grant

# re: Ways to shutdown/restart your computer via Remote Desktop.

lmao @ Grant: try reading the article again buddy.  particularily the part that mentions using ctrl+alt+end instead of ctrl+alt+delete ;)

Thursday, April 3, 2008 7:41 PM by craigT

# re: Ways to shutdown/restart your computer via Remote Desktop.

How to reboot your remote computer when you have no right to reboot your computer at our end.

Tuesday, April 15, 2008 8:34 AM by Jaspal

# re: Ways to shutdown/restart your computer via Remote Desktop.

Is there some way to install wsus loaded updates, I get the dialog box to shutdown, hibernate, etc., but not install patches and reboot.

Wednesday, April 23, 2008 7:26 AM by Joe

# re: Ways to shutdown/restart your computer via Remote Desktop.

I made me a little .bat file to solve the problem with restart/shutdown.

To make a bat file to work with you go to

START --> Run --> cmd

and press

Then you get a command window.

Type EDIT and press .

Then a blue window opens. Press ALT+F to make the menu appear, and choose "Save As..." You just save the file on your desktop (or another place of your choosing).

After that you close the command window. Go to the place you saved the .bat file. RIGHTclick the file and choose EDIT.

Ok..so far, so good. :)

Then you just paste the following text into the file and save it:

:START

cls

@echo off

echo.

echo Remote Desktop Client - shutdown or restart

echo.

echo When you use Remote Desktop you do not have

echo the usual restart/shutdown choices.

echo This will RESTART or SHUTDOWN the remote client

echo according to your choice.

echo.

echo 1. Restart

echo 2. Shutdown

echo 3. Abort

echo.

set /p userinp= Choose a number(1-3):

set userinp=%userinp:~0,1%

if "%userinp%"=="1" goto restart

if "%userinp%"=="2" goto shutdown

if "%userinp%"=="3" goto end

echo invalid choice

goto start

:restart

Echo Program: Please wait....

shutdown -r -t 01

goto end

:shutdown

shutdown -s -t 01

goto end

:end

I have made this based on various sources on the internet, and almost no coding has been done by me. I'm just saying that so noone thinks it is ME that wrote all this code :)

But here it is.

Wish someone could write a Win app that looked a little nicer than this DOS-window.

If someone do that, mail it to me, please.

hotrodny(a)gmail.com

--Sorry for the bad english. It is not my native language :)  ---

Thursday, May 1, 2008 1:41 PM by StrAngel

Saturday, May 3, 2008 3:12 PM by Corbett

# re: Ways to shutdown/restart your computer via Remote Desktop.

"For Vista, just press CTRL-ALT-END on your keyboard the using the mouse to select the power icon on the bottom right of the screen and select restart or shutdown or whatever..."

Vista bluescreens when shutting down with your method

Tuesday, June 3, 2008 9:02 PM by Geebs

Hi, StrAngel!

Thanks for the script. But I got one question. How can I run this from one computer, but it will restart another??

Ex. I'm using one computer (Home) and want to reboot or shutdown another (Backup) using that script you created with some modifications.

Please help :-)

Monday, August 18, 2008 4:25 PM by KillerLaban

KillerLaban -

Let me preface this with the fact that I have NOT tested this. I would imagine you would be able to take the above script and tweak it a bit with the addition of option 4 (:lan) below:

:START

cls

@echo off

echo.

echo Remote Desktop Client - shutdown or restart

echo.

echo When you use Remote Desktop you do not have

echo the usual restart/shutdown choices.

echo This will RESTART or SHUTDOWN the remote client

echo according to your choice.

echo.

if "%userinp%"=="2" goto shutdown

if "%userinp%"=="3" goto end

if "%userinp%"=="4" goto lan

echo invalid choice

goto start

:restart

Echo Program: Please wait....

shutdown -r -t 01

goto end

:shutdown

shutdown -s -t 01

goto end

:lan

echo.

set /p computerName="Enter computer name: "

shutdown -m \\"%computerName%"

goto end

:end

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 9:04 AM by Todd

# re: Ways to shutdown/restart your computer via Remote Desktop.

Actually the procedure can works but now how do u run the program? if u have the procedure of running the program plz e-mail on kwobafred@yahoo.com.

Monday, September 29, 2008 6:29 AM by fred

# re: Ways to shutdown/restart your computer via Remote Desktop.

to choose a remote computer to shutdown use the IP address, as you can see in the below example

shutdown -s -m \\192.168.10.5 -f -t 00

Tuesday, October 14, 2008 11:11 PM by Kim

# re: Ways to shutdown/restart your computer via Remote Desktop.

The easiest way to restart your computer through remote desktop is to go to taskmanager on the remote desktop and select the Shutdown, restart from that screen.

Friday, January 2, 2009 11:25 AM by Mary

# re: Ways to shutdown/restart your computer via Remote Desktop.

For the "Windows Security above Log Off" I would like to point out that it's a tiny red square in the bottom right corner. My remote desktop was a smaller window so I didn't see that the first time I tried it.

Friday, March 27, 2009 4:58 PM by Christy

# re: Ways to shutdown/restart your computer via Remote Desktop.

This was  clutch, thanks alot.

Wednesday, October 21, 2009 8:10 AM by ramone.hamilton

alt + F4 works on Windows 7

Monday, February 1, 2010 3:18 PM by rosso

# re: Ways to shutdown/restart your computer via Remote Desktop.

To shut down a remote computer when you are using Remote Desktop, press CTRL+ALT+END, and then click Shutdown. Or, use the shutdown command at a command prompt.

Tuesday, February 16, 2010 5:34 PM by Henry

Very useful. Thanks

Friday, March 5, 2010 3:41 AM by Diana

# re: Ways to shutdown/restart your computer via Remote Desktop.

My RDP systen by mistake went to standby mode.

Now I am unable to connect the server back using mstsc. Please guuide

Thanks

Thursday, March 18, 2010 7:33 PM by Choubey

It works in windows 7.

Tuesday, May 25, 2010 3:03 PM by Gabi

Ctrl-Alt-End works great.

Wednesday, June 2, 2010 10:45 AM by Ramesh

# re: Ways to shutdown/restart your computer via Remote Desktop.

CTRL + F4.. it work.. thans dude..

Thursday, June 3, 2010 5:24 AM by lan..

# re: Ways to shutdown/restart your computer via Remote Desktop.

Ctrl-Alt-End and click "Shut Down", and from drop down menu select "Restart"...works perfect..no need of being geeky and type in all script in command.

Wednesday, June 30, 2010 2:42 AM by Bigso

# re: Ways to shutdown/restart your computer via Remote Desktop.

shutdown -s -m \\remoteComputerIP -s -t 00 at cmd doesn't worked. Both work and remote machine have the same the subnet IP addresses.

Thursday, July 1, 2010 5:48 PM by Crazy dude

# re: Ways to shutdown/restart your computer via Remote Desktop.

I encountered this problem when using Remote Desktop to control a computer with XP x86 from a computer with Windows 7 x64, and developed a GUI solution for dealing with it. It works to my satisfaction and I am now, before publishing, looking for beta testers. Email me if you want to help: sven@svenp.com. Please write "shutdown reboot solution" in the "Subject".

Friday, July 30, 2010 8:02 AM by SvenP

# re: Ways to shutdown/restart your computer via Remote Desktop.

ctrl + alt + end does not work if you are remote desktopping from a remote desktop. windows security and alt + f4 and cmd shutdown -r all do though

Monday, September 20, 2010 2:35 AM by Gareth

Start --> Run --> cmd

shutdown -s

this will shut any machine down after 30 secs. also you can do

shutdown -m \\computername -s

to shut down a remote machine...

Thursday, December 16, 2010 5:50 AM by chelcone

# re: Ways to shutdown/restart your computer via Remote Desktop.

Thanks a lot for the information, I just tried the Ctrl+Alt+End and it worked perfectly to me on a Windows XP computer.

Greetings from Mexico.

Thursday, February 10, 2011 11:22 AM by Luis

btw,

DO NOT do the topmost command (shutdown -t 0 -r)

I did that to my remote PC and it did NOT reboot, it just shut down.

Wednesday, February 23, 2011 1:57 AM by r00fus

# re: Ways to shutdown/restart your computer via Remote Desktop.

Really helpful post....  I used to login with logmein just to re-start my remote computer....

Thanks for sharing this valuable info.... CTRL+ALT+END works just fine with.... thanks a lot

Friday, February 25, 2011 2:34 PM by Jerry

Alt+F4 - saved the day!

Thanks for the post!

Sunday, February 27, 2011 4:36 AM by ecommerce

Thanks for the Alt F4 trick!!  I worked for me using xp

Wednesday, March 16, 2011 8:28 AM by Nmart

# re: Ways to shutdown/restart your computer via Remote Desktop.

CTRl+ALT+END also works for Windows 7. I tested it out on a windows 7 enterprise version and it works like a charm.

Monday, March 21, 2011 12:30 PM by Daniel

# re: Ways to shutdown/restart your computer via Remote Desktop.

User this command after closing all the application

Shutdown -m -r \\x.x.x.x

-r for Restart

-m just to shutdown

x.x.x.x - Your remote PC IP.

Friday, August 12, 2011 1:45 AM by Pradeep Bora