New Release of XmlPreprocess

I finally got around to updating the XmlPreprocess tool with some changes I'm really excited about. For those of you not familiar with XmlPreprocess, it's a command line tool I wrote many years ago that can modify specially annotated XML files much like a code preprocessor. It is useful for deploying XML configuration files to many environments. I've blogged about it in the past as have others, and it's achieved a fair amount of use (albeit hidden below the surface) in my good friend Scott Colestock's Biztalk deployment framework.

The first thing I did was move it to a CodePlex project which replaces the prior SourceForge project.

Changes in this release

  • New Codeplex home with updated documentation and samples.
  • Requires .NET 2.0 or newer runtime.
  • Adds the ability to import spreadsheets directly thanks to Tom Abraham's excellent work on the Environment Settings Manager project. This is a really nice feature, and I thank Tom for giving me permission to use his spreadsheet reading code.
  • Adds a command line switch (/f or /fixfalse) to fix the behavior of "False" values. This has been a long-standing request and tripped up many people for example here and here.  For the anguish and consternation this has caused to you all, I sincerely apologize, and hope you forgive me. If you want to explicitly undefine a property, use the value "#undef" instead.  (Note: that for backward compatibility, this behavior is off by default, and you will need to add the /f or /fixfalse switch to enable it).
  • Adds a new command line switch (/v) to validate tokens, so if any replacement tokens are missing, it will report an error message identifying the missing tokens, return a nonzero error code and not write out the file.

I left the current release as Beta 1 in case anyone finds any issues right away, but we've been using the new version on a project without any issues yet.  It should be a drop-in backward compatible replacement for the old version (except for the new dependency on .NET 2.0 instead of 1.1).

No Comments