How to open a website in Visual Studio 2005 from the command line

Published Friday, December 9, 2005 5:54 PM

I’ve seen several queries asking how to launch Visual Studio 2005 opening a specific folder as a website from the command line.  Unfortunately Visual Studio 2005 does not support this by default but you can enable the scenario by writing a macro.

To do this, create a new macro either in an existing module or in a new module.  For this example I’m going to add a module call Website to the MyMacros project.

If you’re new to macros in Visual Studio 2005, select menu Tools/Macros/Macros IDE, then select the MyMacros project and add a module.

Before you can use the new Website extensibility objects within VS you’ll need to add a reference to VsWebSite.Interop.dll.

Once added you can add the following code:

Public Module Website

Sub OpenWebsite(Optional ByVal path As String = "")

If (String.Compare(path, String.Empty) = 0) Then

MsgBox("Must supply a folder path to the OpenWebsite macro", MsgBoxStyle.OkOnly)

Else

Dim webPkg As VsWebSite.VSWebPackage

webPkg = DTE.GetObject("WebPackage")

webPkg.OpenWebSite(path, VsWebSite.OpenWebsiteOptions.OpenWebsiteOption_None, False)

End If

End Sub

End Module

After this code is added you’ll be able to run the macro.  You can test it out in the command window.

From the Command Window in VS:

>Macros.MyMacros.Website.OpenWebsite C:\MyProjects\MyCompany\CompanySite

From the Command Line:

devenv /command "Macros.MyMacros.Website.OpenWebsite C:\MyProjects\MyCompany\CompanySite"

After its working you can register a shell command enabling an “Open as Visual Studio Website” command on any folder in windows explorer.

To do this copy the following into a OpenWebsite.reg file and run it.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Folder\shell\OpenVSWeb]

@="Open as Visual Studio Website"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Folder\shell\OpenVSWeb\command]

@="devenv.exe /command \\\"Macros.MyMacros.Website.OpenWebsite %1\\\""

Now you should be able to right click on a folder in Windows Explorer and select “Open as Website”.

Hope this helps,

Brad.

Comments

# Brian said on Friday, December 9, 2005 10:28 PM

This is awesome! Thanks!!!

# Zubair.NET! said on Sunday, December 11, 2005 12:11 AM

Awesome, it works!

# MaheshKumar.R said on Monday, December 12, 2005 4:42 AM

Really usefull and good work..
thanks brad..

# vFramer said on Wednesday, December 14, 2005 9:47 AM

COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!

# oVan said on Monday, December 19, 2005 9:36 AM

Thank you for this great tip!

# johnagrandy said on Friday, October 6, 2006 12:50 PM

My VS05 does not have a Tools/Macros menu ...

Any ideas ?

# az said on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 5:28 PM

My cat's breath smells like cat food

# Suraj Kumar said on Sunday, July 29, 2007 5:08 PM

This is helpfull.

Thanks,

# James Reid said on Monday, November 12, 2007 1:13 PM

I'm new to adding references in VS. How do you add a reference to VsWebSite.Interop.dll?

# mensah kelvin said on Friday, February 1, 2008 3:06 PM

this website will bring lost friends together

# anupama reddy said on Friday, March 21, 2008 7:55 AM

Dear sir,

I want to open my website. How to proceed? Can u help me?

Thanks & Regards

Anupama Reddy

# David Demus said on Friday, July 25, 2008 5:46 PM

Excellent tool.  I tried to add some more cleverness to this by putting all my commonly used VS projects as shortcuts in one directory.  To my surprise, it works!  (I was a little surprised you could even make a shortcut to a directory.)  One small, odd drawback: this blows up the explorer window with the projects directory in it.  No other damage I've seen.

# Giaskhan said on Wednesday, September 10, 2008 6:53 PM

Education is the back bone of a nation.

# Giaskhan said on Wednesday, September 10, 2008 6:56 PM

How to open website.Can u help me? Thank.

# Josh said on Tuesday, October 7, 2008 12:45 PM

what about for VS 2008?

# Jaisonktm said on Monday, October 13, 2008 5:13 AM

Hi...,

useful article, but tell me how we can add a reference - VsWebSite.Interop.dll.  ?

Add reference menu by right click project? after that what i should do?

pls answer..

# jaman said on Monday, October 13, 2008 9:14 AM

dear sir, help me how to open  awebsite

# youthrenaissance said on Thursday, October 16, 2008 12:39 PM

open a new website

# anisa said on Tuesday, October 21, 2008 5:08 AM

i think that is posible to open this web site but i want open

# mustafa said on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 3:42 PM

to write my life history

# my company said on Monday, November 17, 2008 6:18 AM

pla i will like to have a wedsite of my own and i dont know how to get to the wedsite and have my own site. pls help me and tell me what to do about it.

form christian peter.

my email is chibueze2003@yahoo.com

# unsudgeBups said on Monday, December 1, 2008 6:14 PM

Медицинская справка , компьютерное заполнение -  в ГАИ,  Вы можете получить за 800 р. и 20 минут  :  психиатр, нарколог и фото на месте.  А также медсправки для судоводителей маломерных судов.

# unsudgeBups said on Tuesday, December 2, 2008 1:14 AM

водительская медсправка установленного образца в ГИБДД,  Вы можете получить за 800 р. и 20 минут   -  психиатр, нарколог и фото на месте.  А также осмотр врача и справка для судоводителей.

# Zachary V said on Thursday, December 4, 2008 6:07 PM

To add reference right click on macro and select Add Reference... then scroll to the bottom and doubleclick VsWebSite.Interop.dll... Click OK...

# Babatunde Agboola said on Friday, January 9, 2009 4:19 PM

Kindly help we that are not familiar with web services

# Babatunde Agboola said on Friday, January 9, 2009 4:24 PM

This website will let us be known through out the world.regards tunde

# howells obiorah said on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 6:23 AM

i just want u to tell me or teach me how to creat a web , site, i learnt u are the best in web site creating. hope to hear 4rm u

# habeeb_salau said on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 3:52 PM

just to know more on open website .thanks for listenig

# habeeb_salau said on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 3:56 PM

jsut to what is happen in world.to become a proffessional

# Noorullah Velampudukkudi said on Sunday, February 8, 2009 2:36 AM

I am Noorullah Of Velampudukkudi Tranqubar tk Nagai Dist. Working in AL S T Coimbatore as a EDP In- Charege foe 11 Yrs.

# hfghgf said on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 5:03 AM

fdsfd sfdsfsdfgreg54dfgb mj,kg.mhgnbgf gfdg

# Emmanuel said on Friday, February 20, 2009 4:34 PM

Hi, pla I will like to have a website of my own and

I dont know how to get to the website and have my own site,and to write my life history.pls hel me and tell me what to do about it.

From: Emmanuel Medard

my email adress is:emmanuel1@live.no

# scooby said on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 5:39 AM

hii there,am male from Kenya,i would really like to open my own website with my ideas and updates,please help me out,its not only one and another one for my company please hwlp out.

Thanks

# mtw said on Friday, April 10, 2009 6:49 AM

This is awesome! Than

# ganiewsheenia said on Sunday, May 31, 2009 2:09 PM

Ну и чушь  у вас на сайте написана

# maliapomiaf said on Monday, June 1, 2009 12:52 PM

А как на вашу рсс-ленту подписаться? что то не пойму

# embareeDraild said on Monday, June 1, 2009 3:56 PM

Картинок бы побольше, тогда б и сайт веселей смотрелся

# agonymnsoania said on Tuesday, June 2, 2009 2:13 AM

Да уж интересно Вы пишите, сайт весь такой познавательный

# Icemymmereesy said on Tuesday, June 2, 2009 3:24 AM

Интересный сайтик и дизайн не навязчивый

# queellhoula said on Tuesday, June 2, 2009 5:18 AM

Что то у Вас дизайн косит, сижу под ИЕ

# diemdaype said on Tuesday, June 2, 2009 8:26 AM

Добавил в избранное, буду заходить почаще

# HopsCodeRooTo said on Tuesday, June 2, 2009 10:19 AM

Интересно, а главное коротко. Так держать!!!

# mubyreumpendy said on Tuesday, June 2, 2009 11:28 AM

Что у вас не так с каринками

# gensomymmedge said on Tuesday, June 2, 2009 1:04 PM

Отличная статья Побольше бы такого в интернете

# Taseenulley said on Wednesday, June 3, 2009 1:30 AM

Действительно интересный сайт, добавил в избранное, буду заходить почаще

# beappease said on Wednesday, June 3, 2009 2:46 AM

Почаще что-нить новенькое на сайте размещайте и читателей станет больше

# otheneenvigot said on Wednesday, June 3, 2009 5:48 AM

Поконкретнее узнать бы по теме... Буду ждать продолжения

# syncenjoymn said on Wednesday, June 3, 2009 8:49 AM

Да такой информации в интернете дофига, хотелось бы чего то особенного.

# TawCalliams said on Wednesday, June 3, 2009 9:56 AM

Интересный сайт, автору спасибо

# Gumninguanisk said on Wednesday, June 3, 2009 11:11 AM

Очень интересно, хотя что похожее вижел на другом сайте

# lasyFlarp said on Sunday, June 7, 2009 8:02 AM

Прикольная статья, но хотелось бы поподробнее узнать о некоторых моментах... Как можно с Вами связаться?

# infotsinvom said on Sunday, June 7, 2009 9:13 AM

Да это действитеьно интересно, будем ждать продолжения

# Irrilultura said on Sunday, June 7, 2009 10:28 AM

Дизайн у Вас интересный, я вот тоже для блога искал - стала прикручивать, а все посты куда то делись. Эээх... буду писать заново

# sportmasterrr said on Monday, June 8, 2009 7:35 AM

Скажите а могу я статьи с вашего сайта у себя на блоге публиковать? Е сли да - то ссылку ставить или просто источник указывать?

# WhammajeptDam said on Monday, June 8, 2009 1:48 PM

Действительно интересно написано. Добавил в избранное, буду заходить почаще.

# Quommaimpoppy said on Monday, June 8, 2009 10:38 PM

Хорошо что еще кто-то делает оригинальные сайты. Спасибо за информацию, очень интересно.

# GuepPreense said on Tuesday, June 9, 2009 1:26 AM

Интересный блог, побольше бы таких

# Inissokjank said on Tuesday, June 9, 2009 6:59 AM

Побольше бы и таких сайтов

# trellalak said on Tuesday, June 9, 2009 11:19 AM

Надеюсь ваш сайт будет дальше развиваться

# Irrilultura said on Tuesday, June 16, 2009 2:59 AM

# queellhoula said on Tuesday, June 23, 2009 9:04 PM

Что то у Вас дизайн косит, сижу под ИЕ

# samuel said on Thursday, June 25, 2009 6:37 AM

please teach me how to open and manage my own website my email is ejeba4real@yahoo.com

# maliapomiaf said on Wednesday, July 1, 2009 6:59 AM

А как на вашу рсс-ленту подписаться? что то не пойму

# sabsSleette said on Saturday, August 1, 2009 6:33 PM

dsfgsdfg dfssdfgf fdsgsdfgsd

# ebere said said on Monday, October 12, 2009 8:52 AM

teach me how to open a web and how to manage it my email is eberechigbo@yahoo.com

# ebere said said on Monday, October 12, 2009 8:56 AM

teach me how to open a website and how to manage it my email is eberechigbo@yahoo.com

# Mr Stanley Morgan said on Friday, October 16, 2009 4:13 AM

how do i open a bussiness website

# Energy said on Thursday, December 3, 2009 2:18 PM

Здравствуйте,друзья мои. Наконец-то всем нам показали эмблему грядущей в 2014 году Олимпиады, и я конечно не могу себе отказать в удовольствии нафлудить тут у Вас... :)

Итак, практически по всем каналам промчалось данное известие, как подобает, с наивысшей степенью ПиаРа. Сам президент показал нам логотипчик, замутили пресс-конференцию, на Первом забабахали концерт, ну и конечно, рекламные трейлеры о нашей необыкновенной Олимпиаде.

При этом как то на 2-й план отошла сама картинка, что будет красоваться на флагах, шарфиках, и прочей сувенирной продукции через 4 года. А хотелось бы остановиться на ней поподробнее. Откровенно говоря, когда увидел, был мягко говоря разочарован. Сразу всплыла в голове такая картина: сидят значит наши организаторы Олимпиады, и тут один вскакивает с дивана и кричит "мужыки, нам ведь завтра эмблему в Олимпийский коммитет надо отсылать". Начинается паника, но не долго думая наши функционеры садятся за ближайший компьютер, набирают незамысловатым шрифтом фразу Sochi2014 (само собой на английском) добавляют затёртое .RU А чтобы не заморачиваться с графикой, в Гугле находят олимпийские кольца и впихивают их рядом с этой надписью в фотошопе :)

Ребят, просто нет слов! Всё понимаю: кольца, название города, год проведения, но где тут фишка??? та, чтобы цепляла. Где нестандартные дизайнерские решения? Посмотрите на логотип той же зимней олимпиады в Турине, где изображен силуэт “Моле-Антонеллины”, который нельзя перепутать ни с чем. Он плавно переходит в изображение горы, окруженной кристалликами льда, на которой снег сливается с небом. Кристаллики переплетаются между собой, образовывая сеть: сеть новых технологий и вечного Олимпийского единства.

Я вот совсем не понимаю, зачем нам нужно это .RU Посещаемость сайта решили повысить? так я думаю он и без эмблемы имел бы посетителей. К тому же официальный сайт олимпиады будет на английском и явно не в зоне RU. Да и вообще на фоне продвижения государством доменной зоны RF, как то уже начинаешь привыкать к мысли что зона RU вскоре станет "устаревшей" чтоли, а то и вообще сгинет как пережиток прошлого..

ЗЫ То ли ещё будет, весной талисман нужно миру показывать..

ЗЗЫ Простите за эмоции, высказался, успокоился.. :) А может не так уж он и плох? :)

# Xray said on Thursday, February 11, 2010 8:00 PM

Просто отлично! По-настоящему любопытно написано. :)

# Rengenx said on Sunday, February 14, 2010 4:48 PM

Огромное человеческое спасибочки!

# Rengenx said on Monday, February 15, 2010 9:16 AM

Как душевно рассписано: навеяло слова из centr - "Спаси и сохрани меня и все мою семью!". Спасибо.

# March_Flower said on Monday, March 8, 2010 3:37 AM

8 марта - наш день!!! Девчёнки - с праздником, мальчишки - крепитесь, день только начался)))

Какой сегодня изумительно красивый Гугл, только взгляните!!! Да и контакт с ромашечкой, очень мило))

# Duma-Cycle said on Monday, March 8, 2010 6:59 AM

По моему мнению, Вы заблуждаетесь.

# higBereExhigh said on Thursday, March 18, 2010 6:34 PM

НАСТРОЕНИЕ ПРОСТО ПОДРЫВАЕ В ПРЯМОМ СМЫСЛЕ СЛОВА

# clowbamycow said on Thursday, March 18, 2010 9:46 PM

Огромное спасибо за помощь в этом вопросе, теперь я не допущу такой ошибки.

# Coloric said on Monday, March 29, 2010 11:07 AM

На сегодня у меня был запланирован званый вечер по поводу "обмытия" новоприобретённого автомобиля. Авто хоть и б/у, но не менее долгожданный. И вот, когда до момента X оставалось совсем немного, а именно регистрация оного в ГАИ, всё дело и затормозилось. В нашем ГАИ (центральном, областном ГАИ!!!) просто-напросто взяли и закончились бланки ПТС!!! А новых нет как нет!!! Вот взяли и исчезли, как блин, инопланетяне их украли. На все мои вопросы, когда же они появятся, меня вежливо послали - бланков НЕТ, знать ничего не знаем, когда появятся, тогда и появятся. Я в дипрессии - казалось бы такая мелочь, а теперь из-за этой мелочи неизвестно когда я теперь сяду за руль моего нового автомобиля!

Я вообще не понимаю, какого фига мы должны страдать из-за того, что у них там нет какой-то бумажки. Заменитель бы давали временный в конце концов! Вся наша бюрократическая  система во всей красе...

# Тарас said on Saturday, April 17, 2010 11:42 PM

Согласен с автором . У меня  такое же мнение :)

# alex said on Wednesday, April 28, 2010 4:17 AM

Спасибо давно искал

# alex007 said on Tuesday, May 18, 2010 1:30 AM

Отличная новость Великолепно

# Там said on Thursday, May 20, 2010 2:50 PM

Сюжетик бы под это подогнать. Ракурс так сказать .

# _tygiraner said on Thursday, May 20, 2010 5:54 PM

Это я уже читал на другом сайте. Досвиданья.

# Rabiul said on Friday, May 21, 2010 12:54 AM

I want to open website for my own. But I don.t know how to open that. Pls Informe me.

# любительское порно фото said on Saturday, May 22, 2010 4:33 AM

Это я уже читал на другом сайте. Досвиданья.

# Omole ezekiel said on Saturday, July 10, 2010 5:53 AM

I want to open my own website.

# sitystroyinfo said on Tuesday, July 20, 2010 4:04 AM

Случайно увидел. Не ожидал.

# AnitotrartMaw said on Saturday, August 21, 2010 11:08 PM

I enjoyed reading your blog. Keep it that way.

# Incosteonew said on Tuesday, November 16, 2010 2:08 AM

Спасибо за статью! Надеюсь, автор не против, если я использую это для своей курсовой.

# Incosteonew said on Tuesday, November 16, 2010 6:00 PM

Познавательно, но не убедительно. Чего-то не хватает, а чего не пойму. Но, скажу прямо: – светлые и доброжелательные мысли.

# ipad app said on Sunday, January 2, 2011 5:35 PM

-----------------------------------------------------------

I like to take breaks in the course of the my day and seem by way of some weblogs to view what people today are saying. This blog appeared in my searches and i could not help but clicking on it. I am happy I did because it was a really pleasurable study.

# best ipad stand said on Friday, January 7, 2011 6:23 PM

-----------------------------------------------------------

Your blog site is so informative … maintain up the good perform!

# Pizza said on Friday, March 11, 2011 2:28 AM

The social aspect of the pie appealed to a nation riding the postwar boom economy.

Pizza had wedged its way into the nation’s hearts and stomachs almost overnight, a phenomenon befitting a food that became synonymous with quick and easy.

# hd tv reviews said on Sunday, March 13, 2011 1:41 AM

just needed to say i found this internet site outstanding cointent and resources. The writer obviously understands his/her subject along with the feedback posted affirm what i am  saying. Well completed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Chemical and Physical Biology

# KemeImmolfefe said on Friday, March 18, 2011 8:35 PM

I find myself coming to your blog more and more often to the point where my visits are almost daily now!

# сайт эротика said on Saturday, April 9, 2011 5:24 AM

Да довольно таки прикольно!

# апарат said on Saturday, April 9, 2011 10:22 AM

Да довольно таки прикольно!

# экстрим said on Saturday, April 9, 2011 3:03 PM

Да довольно таки прикольно!

# эротика said on Saturday, April 9, 2011 4:21 PM

Да довольно таки прикольно!

# порнуха said on Sunday, April 10, 2011 11:39 AM

Да довольно таки прикольно!

# sdfsdgfd said on Thursday, April 14, 2011 9:05 PM

# обслуживание компьютерной техники said on Tuesday, May 31, 2011 5:47 AM

компьютерная помощь, ремонт и обслуживание офисной техники в Киеве

# ohlzc said on Monday, June 20, 2011 9:54 PM