Greg Robinson's Blog

My Book Reviews

My Personal Life

Richmond, VA .NET Users Group

Smart Client Stuff

What I am reading

Need to disable\enable a Form's Close button

Here's a snippet that may help:

#Region " Enable\Disable a Form's Close Button "

Private Declare Function GetSystemMenu Lib "user32" (ByVal hwnd As Integer, ByVal revert As Integer) As Integer

Private Declare Function EnableMenuItem Lib "user32" (ByVal menu As Integer, ByVal ideEnableItem As Integer, ByVal enable As Integer) As Integer

Private Const SC_CLOSE As Integer = &HF060

Private Const MF_BYCOMMAND As Integer = &H0

Private Const MF_GRAYED As Integer = &H1

Private Const MF_ENABLED As Integer = &H0

Public Sub DisableFormCloseButton(ByVal form As System.Windows.Forms.Form)

' The return value specifies the previous state of the menu item (it is either

' MF_ENABLED or MF_GRAYED). 0xFFFFFFFF indicates that the menu item does not exist.

Select Case EnableMenuItem(GetSystemMenu(form.Handle.ToInt32, 0), SC_CLOSE, MF_BYCOMMAND Or             MF_GRAYED)

Case MF_ENABLED

Case MF_GRAYED

Case &HFFFFFFFF

Throw New Exception("The Close menu item does not exist.")

Case Else

End Select

End Sub

Public Sub EnableFormCloseButton(ByVal form As System.Windows.Forms.Form)

EnableMenuItem(GetSystemMenu(form.Handle.ToInt32, 0), SC_CLOSE, MF_BYCOMMAND)

End Sub

#End Region

Credits to the source that helped me figure this out.

Comments

Anonymous said:

Doesn't seem to work if you maximize a form.
# June 17, 2004 12:35 PM

Justice said:

I don't know that you intended it maliciously, but normally when someone helps me on code, I give some credit to them for it...
# June 17, 2004 1:32 PM

Cory Smith said:

Thanks for the link love... it's appreciated.

I mainly blogged about it since I've seen this happen in the past and really haven't seen anyone say anything about it. It was a perfect example of the situation... you thought one thing and it was another. The second portion of the code, although did come from the SDK as to the "what to do", the VB code was done by myself with some additional comments about a bug being reported by people on GDN. It did spend a few hours on it ;-)

I tried using the tamest verbiage I could find while at the same time making me perspective on the subject as plain as possible ;-)

Again, thanks for the update and sorry that you ended up being the example in this particular case... but hopefully others will take note and see that this is a problem that is bigger than just one example.

Also, I'll update my entry stating that you made good ;-)
# June 17, 2004 2:13 PM

Greg Robinson said:

Justice, this was a misunderstanding and I have addressed it with Cory. I assumed the code came staight from the SDK, thus no link to Cory. A link has since been added. If you look through my past blogs you will see that I do give credit to those that have helped along the way.
# June 17, 2004 2:26 PM

Greg Robinson said:

Anonymous, sees Cory's link on the mazimize, minimize issue.

# June 17, 2004 2:27 PM

Vascoe Zinnerman said:

Thanks for the help.
# July 9, 2004 6:31 PM

dinesh said:

but the alt+f4 closed the form. ???

# April 18, 2008 8:16 AM

iluvatarm said:

Try this code (my forms inherits from this):

It solves maximize/minimize and "alt+f4" problems

The inherited forms have the new "CloseEnable" property

Public Class FormEnabClose

#End Region

#Region " Prop "

Public Property CloseEnable() As Boolean

Get

Return Not mCloseDisable

End Get

Set(ByVal value As Boolean)

mCloseDisable = Not value

mWinStateAnt = Me.WindowState

RefreshCloseButton()

End Set

End Property

#End Region

#Region " Meth "

Public Sub DisableFormCloseButton()

' The return value specifies the previous state of the menu item (it is either

Select Case EnableMenuItem(GetSystemMenu(Me.Handle.ToInt32, 0), SC_CLOSE, MF_BYCOMMAND Or MF_GRAYED)

Case MF_ENABLED

Case MF_GRAYED

Case &HFFFFFFFF

Throw New Exception("The Close menu item does not exist.")

Case Else

End Select

End Sub

Public Sub EnableFormCloseButton()

EnableMenuItem(GetSystemMenu(Me.Handle.ToInt32, 0), SC_CLOSE, MF_BYCOMMAND)

End Sub

Public Sub RefreshCloseButton()

If CloseEnable Then EnableFormCloseButton() Else DisableFormCloseButton()

End Sub

Private Sub FormEnabClose_Resize(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Resize

If mWinStateAnt = Me.WindowState Then Exit Sub

RefreshCloseButton()

mWinStateAnt = Me.WindowState

End Sub

Private Sub FormEnabClose_FormClosing(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.Windows.Forms.FormClosingEventArgs) Handles MyBase.FormClosing

If Not CloseEnable Then

e.Cancel = True

Exit Sub

End If

End Sub

#End Region

End Class

# May 5, 2009 11:20 AM

MCCabero said:

@iluvatarm> Sir thanks for your post. i've got some useful information regarding bypass close event.

here are some novice example.

This code works with Visual Basic.NET 2008

VB.NET>WPF Window

Private Sub frmYourFormName_Unloaded(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.ComponentModel.CancelEventArgs) Handles MyBase.Closing

e.Cancel = True

End Sub

I Hope it will help others. lolz

thanks and best regards