SubSonic ASP.NET Providers Project (and Announcement)

One of the most common things I see on the SubSonic forums is people asking about the Membership and Role providers running SubSonic. And another common thing I see are people saying they are going to write those providers... but it doesn't happen. So, I did it :) I started writing the Membership and Role providers a few days ago... and I finally finished coding the providers today. And I'm ready to publish!

I chose to do this project on Google Code (http://code.google.com/p/subsonicproviders/).

So I am announcing Beta 1! The providers should just work (requires a little config). I think we should incorporate some feedback from the SubSonic user-base before calling it "Version 1".

The one thing I am EXTREAMLY proud of is that we are going to ALWAYS put out the code in C# AND VB. I am a VB dev at heart that is starting to fall in love with C#! (I'm taking the BIG step in developing the SubSonic ASP.NET providers in C#!)

Hop on over to the Google Code site for the beta download. Don't forget to report your feedback!!!!!

(Send me an email at zowens@eagleenvision.net if you would like to contribute. SubSonic guys would be a plus :)   )

kick it on DotNetKicks.com
Published Sunday, October 14, 2007 12:16 AM by zowens

Comments

# re: SubSonic ASP.NET Providers Project (and Announcement)

kickass, subsonic is awesome.

Monday, October 15, 2007 1:53 AM by andrew

# re: SubSonic ASP.NET Providers Project (and Announcement)

your c# link doesn't work.

Monday, October 15, 2007 2:02 AM by andrew

Andrew,

You are correct... the download doesn't work off the homepage. Go to this page... the download should work from there (code.google.com/.../list)

Monday, October 15, 2007 6:38 AM by zowens

# re: SubSonic ASP.NET Providers Project (and Announcement)

Thanks for this Zack :) - much appreciated. Good to know you've finally seen the (C#) light!!!

Monday, October 15, 2007 3:00 PM by Rob Conery

@rob

Yes... I am going to the "Dark Side" as it appears Muhahaha. :)

Monday, October 15, 2007 3:51 PM by zowens

# re: SubSonic ASP.NET Providers Project (and Announcement)

How long until we see the IronPython and IronRuby implementations?

Monday, October 15, 2007 9:50 PM by Steven Harman

# re: SubSonic ASP.NET Providers Project (and Announcement)

Until SubSonic supports IronPython and IronRuby :)

Monday, October 15, 2007 10:00 PM by zowens

# re: SubSonic ASP.NET Providers Project (and Announcement)

How can i implement those subsonic providers with my final project¿¿??

I have my BD with many tables, but i need to create my users and groups tables, i would like to implement those providers with my application.

Sunday, October 21, 2007 11:50 PM by mafioso710

@manfioso710

Grab the SQL scripts from the Providers project folder. Run them against your database... that should create the Users and Roles tables.

Monday, October 22, 2007 6:38 AM by zowens

# re: SubSonic ASP.NET Providers Project (and Announcement)

I have download the csharp version but i can't open the solution. appears a windows message where say that is incompatible with my installation.

Monday, October 22, 2007 12:03 PM by erick

# re: SubSonic ASP.NET Providers Project (and Announcement)

Shoul I modify some config, because my visual studio 2005 is in spanish.

Monday, October 22, 2007 12:10 PM by erick

# re: SubSonic ASP.NET Providers Project (and Announcement)

No... the solution file only works for .NET 3.5 (VS 2008). Create a new solution and add in the project if you don't have VS 2008.

Monday, October 22, 2007 2:57 PM by zowens

# re: SubSonic ASP.NET Providers Project (and Announcement)

It would be a good idea to remove all those bin and obj directories from the subversion repository. Just place the dependencies on a folder on the trunk.

Monday, October 22, 2007 6:53 PM by Simone Busoli

# re: SubSonic ASP.NET Providers Project (and Announcement)

i think that is neccesary to have installed the subsonic in the system,isn't it?

Tuesday, October 23, 2007 11:44 AM by Erick

# re: SubSonic ASP.NET Providers Project (and Announcement)

How are these better than the standard ASP.NET providers. Will they allow me to make an enhanced profile for my users ?

Thursday, November 8, 2007 9:39 AM by OmegaSupreme

@OmegaSupreme

These providers are a little cleaner than the ASP.NET's Membership schema. But what the goal of this project is to have SubSonic do all the data acess. It will probably help you BUILD you db to have better profiles, but we aren't going to build a profile provider (cuz its easier to just create another table and store you values in there).

Friday, November 9, 2007 10:53 PM by Zack Owens

# re: SubSonic ASP.NET Providers Project (and Announcement)

Thanks for the help, much appreciated.

Saturday, November 10, 2007 6:15 AM by OmegaSupreme