Generic configurable document library event handler that can be used to create simple workflow and approval scenarios in Windows SharePoint Services or SharePoint Portal Server 2003.
Finally I've completed a version that is stable enough to be released. Be aware it's still a beta version! :-) To download it, visit the GotDotNet Workspace. Also check out the demo video that shows what you accomplish with it. To install the Event Handler take following steps:
Enable SharePoint Event Handlers:
- Open "SharePoint Central Administration" from the Administrative Tools
- Click "Configure virtual server settings"
- Select a Virtual Server from the list
- Choose "Virtual server general settings"
- Select "Event handlers are: On" (bottom of the page)
Deploy the Leadit.SharePoint.Workflow assembly to the GAC:
- Extract Leadit.SharePoint.Workflow.dll to a temporary location
- Browse to X:\Windows\Assembly (or X:\WINNT\Assembly)
- Drag and drop Leadit.SharePoint.Workflow.dll into this folder
- The assembly should now be in the list
Extract the config file
- Extract Sample.xml to a folder
- Make sure the account you'll configure below has access to this folder
- Create your own config file based on the sample
- Make a backup of the machine.config file
- Edit the machine.config file with NotePad
- Find the <appSettings> tag (by default it's commented out)
- Add following text between </configSections> and <system.diagnostics>
<add key="Leadit.SharePoint.Workflow.Username" value="xxx"/>
<add key="Leadit.SharePoint.Workflow.Password" value="yyy"/>
<add key="Leadit.SharePoint.Workflow.Domain" value="zzz"/>
<add key="Leadit.SharePoint.Workflow.Configfile" value="c:\folder\config.xml"/>
- xxx, yyy and zzz should be the credentials of a SharePoint account that has enough rights on your SharePoint site (for example administrator account)
- The ConfigFile tag should point the config file from the previous step
- Use the IISRESET command to force a refresh of the config settings
Enable the Event Handler for a Document Library
- Open a document library in SharePoint
- Click "Modify settings and columns"
- Choose "Change advanced settings"
- In the Event Handler section fill out following values:
Leadit.SharePoint.Workflow, Version=0.1.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=dd064a5b12b5277a
I'll post more detailed installation and configuration instructions as soon as I'll find some more time. Until then I recommend to check the event log to find out what could be going wrong.