Update: there's another update for these web parts: http://weblogs.asp.net/jan/archive/2004/03/04/84011.aspx
Yesterday I've posted my solution to add some essential functionality (in my opinion) to SharePoint. My solution provides three webparts:
If you want to see some screenshots or if you'd like to have more information, see my previous post. But there seems to be a little problem with the Leadit.SharePoint.Essentials.MyAlert webpart that I released yesterday. So I've fixed this bug, the new source files and binaries can be downloaded from following locations:
Leadit.SharePoint.Essentials 126.96.36.199 Leadit.SharePoint.Essentials 188.8.131.52 Src
- See: http://weblogs.asp.net/jan/archive/2004/03/04/84011.aspx
Of course the version number has changed, so you've got to add following node to the SafeControls section of the Web.Config.
<SafeControl Assembly="Leadit.SharePoint.Essentials, Version=184.108.40.206, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=86680f0f768d39e0" Namespace="Leadit.SharePoint.Essentials" TypeName="*" Safe="True" />
Additionally I've changed the Title of the webparts to distinguish them from other webparts (Navigation is a rather common name), so make sure you also use the new dwp files (you need to do this anyway because the version number is in the dwp files too).
Due to this bug only administrators could use the MyAlerts webpart, users without administrator privileges were asked for a username/password. Check out the source code if you're intrested in how I solved this. Also if you have comments, requests, ... regarding this webparts, please let me know!
Due to the fact that I needed to update the assembly that contained the webparts, I started thinking about update scenarios. Because the version number changed, I had to remove the previous version of the webpart from the sites that used them and then I added the new versions the these sites. This could be a problem if the webpart is used in a large number of sites... something think about a little bit more.