I get quite a lot of questions about creating alerts in SharePoint: many site administrators want to be able to create alerts on behalf of other users. At this point, this not possible in SharePoint, but the SharePoint object model allows you to create alerts for any user. As an example I've create the UserAlerts webpart:
This webpart has following features:
- Displays a list of all alerts for a specific SharePoint list.
- Allows deletion of a specific alert.
- Allows deletion of all alers for a specific SharePoint list.
- Allows creation of an alert for a specific user.
- Allows creation of an alert for all users.
- Select type of the created alerts.
Before you use this webpart in a production site, please keep in mind following limitations/remarks:
- The webpart can only be used by SharePoint Site Administrators.
- If you have many SharePoint users and many SharePoint alerts, performance of the webpart could be quite bad due to the way the alerts are retrieved from SharePoint.