I have spent probably 4 hours of my life trying to figure out why I keep getting a bizarre error message when I try to browse to a .NET 2.0 Framework Web Service, so after figuring it out I thought I would post this so I never forget it. The solution to the problem was so simple but it took a long time to find it. So what happened:
1. Browse to web service, get the following message: Server Application Error
2. Looked in the event log, which had the following message:
The server failed to load application '/LM/W3SVC'. The error was 'The specified metadata was not found.'.
3. Searched for that problem and found this: http://www.iis-resources.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=2579&forum=4
Now in this post they were talking about the MSDTC so I cheked that service and found that it wasn't started, so I try to start it, this fails to start with error message:
The Distributed Transaction Coordinator service terminated with service-specific error 3221229584 (0xC0001010).
4. Searched for that problem and found this: http://blog.taragana.com/index.php/archive/solution-microsoft-distributed-transaction-coordinator-fails-to-start-with-service-specific-error-3221229584/
Now this post says run msdtc -resetlog
5. Problem solved. Hopefully other people will find this helps them, it sure helped me.