In order to get more familiar with the new features in version 2.0 of .NET and C# I have been working on a side project using C# Express Beta 1. The project that I have been working on is a replacement for the windows run command. I for one use the run command a lot and there has always been some features lacking. Currently the run command provides a drop down list of the last 26 typed commands and the auto complete functionality for the file system / browser history as described here. Some features that I have already implemented for my new run command are:
- Auto complete commands - as you type you are given a suggestion list matching what you have typed and the command that matches the closest is filled in for you
- Smart suggestion list - the commands you use the most often appear at
the top of the suggestion list, and the commands are pre-populated with common
commands that someone might run like:
- Start Menu Shortcuts
- Control Panel Applets
- Recently Opened Documents
- Common Windows Commands - i.e. My Computer, My Pictures, Administrative Tools, etc.
- All Executables in the Path
Also one other side feature not necessarily related to the run command that I'm including is the ability to assign a global hotkey that will minimize the foreground application to the system tray.
What I would like to know is if there are other things people would like to see included in a replacement run command? Please leave your suggestions in the comments. Once I have a working version I will post it.