While there are a lot of testing tools out there to look for bugs, test a Website's scalability and perform unit tests, precious few seem to handle automating the testing of AJAX applications. As a result, I wanted to start a list of tools that support automated testing of AJAX applications as well as debugging. If you have other tools or applications you know of or something listed is out of date please add a comment to the blog and I'll get the information added/updated.
- Custom AJAX Testing - Article by James McCaffrey that discusses creating custom AJAX test automation scripts. Cost: Free
- InCisif.net - InCisif.net is an automation tool designed to implement client-side functional testing of web applications under Internet Explorer 6.x or 7.x, using the C#, VB.NET or IronPython language. You can read an article about using the tool for AJAX testing here.
- Selenium - A test tool for web applications. Selenium tests run directly in a browser, just as real users do. And they run in Internet Explorer, Mozilla and Firefox on Windows, Linux, and Macintosh. Cost: Free
- Sprajax - Although not a test automation tool, Sprajax allows AJAX applications to be scanned for potential security threats. Cost: Free
- Squish - froglogic Squish is a professional cross platform automated GUI and Web testing framework. Squish allows to create tests for GUI and Web applications by recording or manually writing test scripts. Squish supports popular scripting languages for the test scripts and gives access to additional APIs. This way QA engineers can easily create powerful and robust tests to enhance and keep up the quality of the tested application. Cost: Unknown
- SWExplorerAutomation (SWEA) - This program creates an automation API for any Web application which uses HTML and DHTML and works with Microsoft Internet Explorer. The Web application becomes programmatically accessible from any .NET language. Cost: $99
- WaitiN - WatiN is developed in C# and aims to bring you an easy way to automate tests with Internet Explorer. An article discussing WaitN can be found here. Cost: Free
- Web2test - Automated testing of web-based applications and portals, browser and platform independent, drag-and-drop, capture and replay. Cost: 1.595,00 (euro price)
- WindMill - Windmill is a web testing framework intended for complete automation of user interface testing, with strong test debugging capabilities. Windmill is a web testing framework intended for complete automation of user interface testing, with strong test debugging capabilities. The first goal of Windmill to make test writing easier, portable and sustainable. The second goal of Windmill is to keep the project open and transparent, encouraging as much outside contribution as possible. Cost: Free
Several AJAX debugging tools are listed below:
- Fiddler - Fiddler is a HTTP Debugging Proxy which logs all HTTP traffic between your computer and the Internet. Fiddler allows you to inspect all HTTP Traffic, set breakpoints, and "fiddle" with incoming or outgoing data. Cost: Free
- Script Debugger - The Microsoft Script Debugger is a debugging environment that extends any Microsoft ActiveX® Scripting host application—for example, Microsoft Internet Explorer (IE) or Microsoft Internet Information Server (IIS). Cost: Free
This is a growing list so check back often for new entries.