Update: Given changes at webhost4life (new owner, new support, new control panel, new hosting environments) at the beginning of 2010, the review below is outdated. I now recommend Arvixe and OrcsWeb.
When I started SharpToolbox.com, I needed to select a hosting solution. I chose webhost4life, and this year I renewed my account with them because I think they have very goods hosting plans and I'm happy with them.
Here are a the main advantages you get with webhost4life:
- Price: I chose the $9.95/month plan (Update: now $11.95), and I consider it a bargain. (this means a one time payment of $140 for a year, one time setup fee included)
- Bandwidth: unlimited! Now, try to find something close from the other hosters for that price. And gigabytes fly by quickly... Unlimited bandwith is invaluable if you plan to share pictures, videos, or even software.
- Domains: you can create as many sub-domains as you wish for free, and host multiple domains on one account for $15 a year per additional domain
- SQL Server and MySQL databases
- ASP.NET 1.0, 1.1, 2.0
- Mail: POP and IMAP, SSL, SPAM protection, virus protection, 100 accounts by domain...
- Configuration: a control panel let's you setup your hosting
- They currently have a special offer that includes shared 128bit SSL and doubled space for the same price. For the $9.95 per month plan (Update: now $11.95), that means you get 300MB on disk + 300MB for SQL Server + 300MB for MySQL. Update: the new offer gives you from 1000MB to 3000MB of disk space and from 2000MB to 3000MB of SQL Server space!
Everything is not perfect though, and I had to contact the tech support a couple of times to fix a few things. But the good news is that the tech support is efficient and fast enough. I've been happy with the free online tech support. My problems were fixed quickly.
I don't usually advertise for others, but here I have three reasons:
- people reading these weblogs may need a hosting solution,
- I'm satisfied with webhost4life and don't mind spreading the word to thank them for the service,
- I get a commision if you sign up with them and tell them madgeek sent you, or use this link to sign up :-)