AlbumViewer Application Now Runs with Silverlight and ASP.NET AJAX

With the release of Microsoft's Silverlight 1.0 I updated the Amazon.com AlbumViewer application that I originally created using WPF/E and ASP.NET AJAX back in December.

The updated code can be downloaded here and you can view a live version of the application here.

Published Sunday, August 5, 2007 10:40 PM by dwahlin

Comments

# re: AlbumViewer Application Now Runs with Silverlight and ASP.NET AJAX

Tuesday, May 1, 2007 6:36 AM by Scott Galloway

Doesn't work for me on IE7 on Vista RTM...get a javascript exception when I hit search...

Tuesday, May 1, 2007 7:09 AM by Colin

The demo does not work for me - javascript errors.

Tuesday, May 1, 2007 10:04 AM by Palermo4

Dan - you are awesome!  Thank you for providing a great example with source code!

Tuesday, May 1, 2007 10:13 AM by dwahlin

Hmmm...working fine here with IE7 and FireFox 2.  Any chance you can list the JavaScript errors you're seeing?

Tuesday, May 1, 2007 10:52 AM by Colin

Using IE7 on XP...

Line 60 Char 5

Error '_AlbumDetailsCanvas' is null or not an object

Code 0

Hope this helps

Tuesday, May 1, 2007 11:46 AM by dwahlin

Thanks Colin.  I'm not able to duplicate that error with IE7 on Vista or XP, but obviously it's happening for you so I'll see what I can find.  Thanks for taking the time to list the details.

Tuesday, May 1, 2007 12:11 PM by Colin

No problem. I shall check from home this evening to see if I get the same issue. If you need any more details on versions etc. let me know and I'll get back to you. Would love to see this working.

Not sure if this is in any way important but I am in the UK - could there be a problem with me accessing Amazon.com rather than the .co.uk site??? I know sometimes there are regional restrictions on various sites.

Tuesday, May 1, 2007 2:19 PM by dwahlin

Thanks Colin.  I'm trying hard to get that error on different machines and browsers but having no luck unfortunately (XP and Vista).  Isn't that how it always works though? :-)

Since the server you're hitting calls Amazon (rather than the client browser) I don't think location should be a problem.  But, let me know if you're able to get it to work at home since I'm interested in getting it resolved for you.

Wednesday, May 2, 2007 4:28 AM by Vinnie

the problem is that you need to install the silverline plugin. i had the same problem but when i downloaded the plugin all the problems were gone ;)

Wednesday, May 2, 2007 11:50 AM by dwahlin

Yep...you'll definitely need the Silverlight plugin.  If you don't have it you should see an icon appear that you can click on to download it.

Wednesday, May 2, 2007 8:35 PM by NicoGranelli

Maybe he had the old WPF/E plugin. Are you checked that out?

Thursday, May 3, 2007 10:42 AM by Mark Heimonen

I tried running your example and it bluescreened my computer :(

Thursday, May 3, 2007 2:44 PM by dwahlin

I can't help you with that one unfortunately since there's no JavaScript or XML code I can write to blue-screen your system (barring a browser bug of course).

The Silverlight plugin is still in beta so it looks like you found something wrong with it.  What OS are you on that you got a bluescreen?  I haven't seen one of those in quite awhile. :-)

Saturday, June 2, 2007 12:07 PM by Pheonics

Tried searching for Queen and one of the images is throwing an error with your app.  It's regarding the format of the image, I would guess this is an issue from Amazon's side though - but I'd just thought I'd mention it.

Great example by the way and thanks for sharing the source.

Saturday, June 2, 2007 10:11 PM by Vijay

works like a charm! i was able to run the demo app on firefox with no problems. search worked fine.

Monday, August 6, 2007 4:02 PM by dwahlin

Mohammad,

You may want to uninstall Silverlight and reinstall since it sounds like something may be messed up there.  It does work in both FireFox and IE with the Silverlight release candidate installed.

Saturday, September 15, 2007 11:36 PM by Henry

Thanks for the codecamp demos - you are a great instructor. I see the demo above doesent have the benefit of the faulty amazon image handler.