Free ASP.NET 2.0 + SQL Express 30 Day Hosting Offer

In case you weren't aware of it, you can build and upload an ASP.NET 2.0 web-site using SQL server for free using this service: http://vwdhosting.net/  In addition to ASP.NET 2.0 support, it also provides built-in support for uploading SQL Express databases (which you can download as an optional component with the free Visual Web Developer).

You can also then use this link on the www.asp.net site to find a permanent hoster.  The hoster page lets you filter by country as well as price-point.  Some hosters are now offering ASP.NET 2.0 + SQL Server hosting for less than $5 a month.

Hope this helps,

Scott

Published Thursday, January 26, 2006 11:41 PM by ScottGu

Comments

# re: Free ASP.NET 2.0 + SQL Express 30 Day Hosting Offer

Friday, January 27, 2006 7:24 AM by David Taylor
Scott,

While on this topic; the situation regarding SQL Express is still a mess. I thought your team (or the SQL Server team), would have spent the last 2 years charming and providing incentives to the hosting community such they they would include an instance of SQL Express on their IIS 6 web servers. 3 Weeks ago I wanted to find a new hosting company, and spend half a day looking, but discovered that 95%+ of the ones listed *do not* support just uploading SQL Express databases, which was one of the biggest benefits of using that product with ASP.NET 2. Most are still just running SQL Server 2000 on a secondary server, where you need to use some terrible web interface to create table or upload data in csv format.

I ended up purchasing a Virtual Dedicated Server so I could get remote desktop access. I could not believe I had done that at the end of the day! All I wanted was a $10 hosting account where I could upload a simple SQL Express database.......But ended up buying a entire virtual dedicated server just so save me all the headaches.

Microsoft needs to work with the major hosting companies pronto on this....or all that effort put into dynamically loading SQL Express databases will be wasted :-(

Thanks,

David Taylor

# re: Free ASP.NET 2.0 + SQL Express 30 Day Hosting Offer

Friday, January 27, 2006 2:12 PM by Borek
Czech Republic is just a small country but we have at least 2 good free ASP.NET 2.0 hostings. Slovak Republic, our sibling, also have couple of them.

Your post sounds like that the 30 day offer is something great which is quite weird to me when there are at least 4 good free services in my small country.

# re: Free ASP.NET 2.0 + SQL Express 30 Day Hosting Offer

Monday, January 30, 2006 2:11 AM by scottgu
Hi David,

We have a SQL Express uploading tool currently in beta that any hoster is able to use (we are working with about 2 dozen hosters to test it). Once it finishes the beta period we are going to be *very* aggresive promoting it and encourage everyone to offer it.

Hope this helps,

Scott

# re: Free ASP.NET 2.0 + SQL Express 30 Day Hosting Offer

Monday, January 30, 2006 2:20 AM by scottgu
Hi Eric,

My comment to James a few years ago was related to the fact that one of the things that made PHP more attractive to a lot of web developers was the fact that it was possible to get cheap web hosting -- much cheaper than the ASP.NET equivalent. We heard this a lot from customers who wanted low-price offerings for home and hobbyst use.

One of the things we have done over the last few years is worked with hosters to fix some of the licensing issues they had (specifically around SQL server pricing), as well as worked to increase the number of sites that can be hosted on a single box, and improved diagnostics to lower TCO. The result is the ability for hosters to optionally offer cheap offerings that matched their PHP/Linux equivalents -- and ensured that hosting price is no longer a reason to choose something other than ASP.NET if you absolutely want to pay as little as possible for a basic hosting account.

As you say above, the service quality you might get for $5 a month will be a lot less than what hosters offering $15-20 a month offer (you'll also probably get less bandwidth, SQL and file storage). Developers should think hard about the quality of service guarentees they want, and the level of service they require.

Clearly you wouldn't want to run a mission critical business application on a $5 shared host server account. However, if you have a site you are just trying out (or sharing with friends) and want to use it to program or blog for fun -- then having low-price offerings is something that is attractive.

Hope this helps,

Scott

# re: Free ASP.NET 2.0 + SQL Express 30 Day Hosting Offer

Wednesday, October 4, 2006 4:58 AM by martin harvey
vwd.hosting/database image filepaths This is probably a very simple uestion but I would appreciate some help. I have recently uploaded my site to vwd.hosting for testing and everything works fine except for the image file paths in the database. The file manager shows a file path of d:/users/terryito-1 / ProductImages /Chair.jpg i have tried the above and every combination i can think of including /terryito-1 / ProductImages /Chair.jpg (With and without the spaces) but I cannot get the images to load. Does anyone have any ideas many thanks martin

# re: Free ASP.NET 2.0 + SQL Express 30 Day Hosting Offer

Thursday, October 5, 2006 10:42 AM by ScottGu

Hi Martin,

Are you trying to load the images on the server-side, or create urls back to the images from the html on the client?

Thanks,

Scott

# re: Free ASP.NET 2.0 + SQL Express 30 Day Hosting Offer

Monday, February 26, 2007 12:14 PM by John

Regarding WebHostForASP, I've been with them for about 3 months now and my site has been down several times each week. They have no means of monitoring their servers and there are clients on them abusing them. It's too bad that don't because they would be a good value. We are having to move our site off now. Just thought I would try to save anyone else the trouble.