Visual Studio 2005 Service Pack 1 (SP1) Released

Visual Studio shipped the final release of VS 2005 SP1 yesterday.  It is available for immediate download in all 10 languages (English, French, Spanish, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Russian, and both traditional and simplified Chinese).  You can download and install it here.

This SP release is a pretty major service pack, and incorporates a lot of bug-fixes and feedback from customers.  Included built-in with the service pack is support for VS 2005 Web Application Projects (which we also made available as a separate download back in May).  It also contains a number of design-time performance optimizations and fixes across the product.

Some Suggestions on Installing the Service Pack

The service pack itself is a fairly large download (431Mb), and can take 30-90 minutes to update your Visual Studio 2005 installation depending on which versions of VS you have installed, and what features are enabled.  So you should plan ahead and not expect it to be a few second operation (note: it is a good task to kick off before lunch or in the evening).

A few suggestions/comments on the setup process:

1) Before starting the SP1 upgrade make sure you first uninstall the standalone VS 2005 Web Application Project download if you've installed that on your system.  You'll no longer need this as support for it is built-in to SP1, and the SP1 installer will block and make you uninstall it if you have it installed.  Your existing web application project files will continue to work just fine - so you won't need to-do anything to update them to work with SP1.

2) SP1 will run the upgrade patching process on each copy of Visual Studio 2005 it finds on your system.  So if you have VS 2005 Professional, Visual Web Developer Express, and Visual Basic Express on your system, it will run the patching process 3 times (since each of these installs have separate copies of some files).  If you aren't using all of these versions on your system, you might want to uninstall some of them - both to save yourself some disk space as well as to speed up the SP1 install process.

3) SP1 will patch/update all files/features in VS 2005 that you have installed.  Sometimes I just click "install everything" when I setup VS 2005, in which case I get a lot of features that I often don't use (for example: some of the C++ header/lib sources for ATL, MFC, etc).  What I've seen on my personal system is that when I only have the features I use installed, the SP1 upgrade process takes about 15 minutes end to end.  But with everything it can take closer to 45-50 minutes.  You might want to consider unchecking certain features of VS if you aren't using them and want to both save some disk space as well as speed up the SP1 install process.

One last built performance suggestion

SP1 does include a number of build performance improvements (for both VB and C#).  For suggestions on how to optimize Web Site and Web Project build performance with VS 2005, I also highly recommend you check out my optimizing build performance blog post here.  This will help you optimize your build times significantly for both RTM and SP1 systems.

Scott

P.S. Some people have noticed that my pictures and sample downloads on my site are missing at the moment.  Unfortunately the Puget Sound region was hit by a really bad storm last night, and all electrical power was knocked out in the area shortly before 1am (exactly 3 minutes after I finished my ASP.NET AJAX RC post last night - I hit submit just in time <g>).  Both my house and the Microsoft campus are without power at the moment, which means the server hosting my pictures/downloads is not running.  They are hoping to get us power again in the next few days, at which time my server will (fingers crossed) come back up.  Until then I'm hanging out in a very crowded Starbucks for heat/light and will also be sporadic on email.  Sorry in advance for any delays.

Published Friday, December 15, 2006 1:21 PM by ScottGu
Filed under: , ,

Comments

# re: Visual Studio 2005 Service Pack 1 (SP1) Released

Friday, December 15, 2006 4:59 PM by Chris Hammond

Thanks for the update Scott!

Friday, December 15, 2006 5:16 PM by Rich A

Does anyone know whether the final VS 2005 SP1 can be installed over the beta, or whether that's even necessary?

Friday, December 15, 2006 5:27 PM by kevindente

Is the Web Deployment Project included in SP1 as well?

Friday, December 15, 2006 5:29 PM by ScottGu

Hi Rich,

You'll want to uninstall the SP1 Beta before you install the SP1 final release.

Friday, December 15, 2006 5:29 PM by ScottGu

Hi Kevin,

The Web Deployment Project isn't built-in with SP1 - instead it is still a separate download.  It works fine with SP1 though.

Friday, December 15, 2006 5:36 PM by stacy

Great Scott! Glad it's here. Does the Web Application Project support Profiles now? I never could get that hack tool to fully work.

Friday, December 15, 2006 5:40 PM by kevindente

>Web Deployment Project isn't built-in

>with SP1

Too bad. Will it be built into the IDE in Orcas?

Friday, December 15, 2006 6:07 PM by Brian Hampson

Wow... nice size for the SP :)  400+ MB

I feel for you powerwise.  We had 100kph+ winds blow around here last night too (Vancouver BC).  40 foot fir next to my house pleasantly decided to fall the OTHER way!

Friday, December 15, 2006 6:37 PM by Cyril

When will be the Vista version available ?

Friday, December 15, 2006 9:15 PM by Jeffrey McManus

Hm, Scott, I'm only seeing the service pack for Team Edition on the downloads page, this isn't what I should install if I'm using Professional Edition, is it?

Friday, December 15, 2006 9:38 PM by Joe

Does Visual Studio Express edition have the concept of "slipstreaming"?  Ie, is there one download for VS2k5 Express that already has the SP1 stuff integrated with it?

how/where? :-)

Thanks!

Joe

Friday, December 15, 2006 9:39 PM by Don M

Is anyone else having trouble installing this? I can't get past the extracting process. Ugh.

Friday, December 15, 2006 11:00 PM by Dandy

I've downloaded the 400+MB patch, run it, and get:

"The installation source for this product is not available.  Verify that the source exists and that you can access it."

WTF?

# re: Visual Studio 2005 Service Pack 1 (SP1) Released

Friday, December 15, 2006 11:24 PM by michael.

i'm running Visual Studio Team Edition with the beta of SP1 on Vista. I wanted to uninstall the beta of SP1 but it doesn't show up in Add/Remove programs and when i try to unstill the full release of SP1, it claims i'm not running the correct version of the product....

any ideas?

Saturday, December 16, 2006 12:18 AM by vikram

Wow this is a good news.

Hope the server goes up in quick time

Saturday, December 16, 2006 1:52 AM by JasonH

Is it worth installing VS 2005 SP1 if you're only using VS for the Reporting Services report designer?

# Cannot install service pack on Windows Vista

Saturday, December 16, 2006 1:58 AM by Zeeshan

Hi Scott,

I couldn't get it the service pack to install on windows vista. its says it cannot find any instance of visual studio installed.

Intresting...

Saturday, December 16, 2006 6:43 AM by Eric den Doop [vfp mvp]

Hi Scott,

When trying to uninstall Webapp projects, I'm getting an error 'Error opening installation log file. Verify that the specified log file location exists and is writable'. I'm running Vista RTM with UAC disabled and I am the admin. I reinstalled the Web Application Projects but then it fails again when I try to uninstall. Any ideas? Is there a way to manually uninstall Web Application Projects?

Eric

Saturday, December 16, 2006 6:48 AM by Mike Lockyer

Hi Scott

I am Vista and did not install the Beta of VS05 SP1 but get this message

"The upgrade patch cannot be installed by the Windows Installer service because the program to be upgraded may be missing, or the upgrade patch may update a different version of the program. Verify that the program to be upgraded exists on your computer and that you have the correct upgrade patch"

Any advice ?

Thanks

Saturday, December 16, 2006 8:07 AM by Michael Stuart

Don't know if this happened for anyone else, but after I install "VS80sp1-KB926601-X86-ENU.exe", it then asks if I want to install it again.  I did it again to see what it would do, and it seemed to reinstall it.  It asked me again after it was done, but I clicked 'Cancel' and it ended.  It seems to have installed it though.

Saturday, December 16, 2006 12:55 PM by ScottGu

Hi Jeffrey,

There is one patch for Team Edition, Standard, and Professional - you can use that with the Professional edition.

Saturday, December 16, 2006 12:57 PM by ScottGu

Hi Joe,

Slipstreaming builds will be available next year - which will integrate the patches into new setups for clean installs.  The plan will be to update the Express downloads for new users to get SP1 enabled builds without having to install the patch separately.

Saturday, December 16, 2006 1:05 PM by ScottGu

Hi Cyril,

There is a Vista VS 2005 Beta Patch that you will be able to install from here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/support/vs2005sp1/default.aspx  It addresses the known issues VS 2005 has with Vista.

We are going to give people a month or so to report any new issues, and then release this as an RTM patch as well.

Saturday, December 16, 2006 1:07 PM by ScottGu

Hi Dandy,

Can you double check that you have a lot of available disk space?  I'm wondering if the problem was caused by you running out of disk space?  If this isn't the cause, then please send me an email with the details and I'll be happy to connect you up with someone on the VS team who can help investigate further.

Saturday, December 16, 2006 1:08 PM by ScottGu

Hi Mike/Zeeshan,

Can you check whether you've installed the SP1 Beta version of the patch?  If so, can you make sure you've uninstalled that first?

Saturday, December 16, 2006 1:10 PM by ScottGu

Hi Eric,

That is weird - I'm not sure why it didn't uninstall.  Can you send me email (scottgu@microsoft.com) and I cna loop you in with someone who can provide a script to remove it automatically.

Saturday, December 16, 2006 1:42 PM by Mike

Hello Scott,

could you explain why the installer takes such a long time and uses 100% CPU?

I am just curious, because I have never seen any installer behave this way (it's been 'gathering requirements' at 100% CPU for 15 minutes now).

Also, even though you warned it might take a long time, you didn't mention it would take 100% CPU. You can imagine people are worried when they see this.

Thanks in advance for your explanation!

-Mike

Saturday, December 16, 2006 1:47 PM by ScottGu

Hi Michael (and Mike/Zeeshan),

I just blogged about how to uninstall the SP1 Beta when running on Windows Vista.  You can follow these steps here: http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2006/12/16/installing-vs-2005-sp1-on-vista-and-how-to-uninstall-the-vs-2005-sp1-beta-on-vista.aspx

Saturday, December 16, 2006 1:50 PM by ScottGu

Hi Mike,

The installation time is pretty intense because patches don't just replace a file - instead they update portions of it (to keep the patch size down).

The installer needs to-do the following steps:

1) Uncompress the patch and extract a file bits

2) Check whether the file to patch has a newer QFE already - in which case the SP shouldn't update it

3) Apply the patch to the origional file and merge in the diff

4) Move on to the next file and repeat the process

Since there are 15,000+ files in VS with everything installed, this takes awhile and is pretty CPU and disk intensive.

Saturday, December 16, 2006 3:11 PM by Dandy

Scott,

I have roughly 2 gigs free on the partition that contains my %TEMP% folder.  Every other partition still has at least 5GB free or more.  My Windows partition has over 6GB available; this is also the partition where I installed VS2005.

I tried shuffling things around, cleaning up the various TEMP folders, etc, but still ran into the problem, even after trying to redirect my %TEMP% folder to another partition with even more space.

Here's the interesting part--I eventually extracted the files from VS80sp1-KB926601-X86-ENU.exe with WinRAR, and ran the .MSP file directly.  It now looks like the service pack is installing (it's been running for at least 10 minutes now as I'm writing this, whereas before it would fail within the first 30 seconds).

# The installation source for this product is not available

Saturday, December 16, 2006 6:35 PM by Anders M.

Hi Daren,

About the ”The installation source for this product is not available” problem – if you are you using Windows Server 2003:

If you extract the .exe file and see the properties on the .msp file under "Digital Signatures" you will see that the signature/certificate is not valid. (ScottGu: i presume this is a bug?).

To ”fix” (ignore) this:

1) Open local security setting: Start -> Programs -> Administrative Tools -> Local Security Policy.

2) Click on "Software Restriction Policies" and if it shows "No Software Restriction Policies Defined" then insert a new (right click the left pane node).

3) 2 x click on the "Enforcement" entry and under "Apply software restriction policies to the following users:" section change to "All users except local administrators".

4) Maybe reboot

This should solve the problem (it did for me)..

/Anders

Saturday, December 16, 2006 7:36 PM by Derek

I'm running W2k3R2 and have the "The installation source for this product is not availableā€ problem. I tried the solution Anders provide above with no luck. I have 3 gig of space available so I don't think space is an issue.

Saturday, December 16, 2006 8:17 PM by David Mackey

Exciting news. Sadly I have SP1 Beta installed and do not have the VS 2005 Standard disc with me at the moment so I am unable to upgrade.

Saturday, December 16, 2006 9:12 PM by Bob

Does this fix any of the problems with ClickOnce with FIPS enabled?

Saturday, December 16, 2006 9:58 PM by Askar

Thanks for the update Scott. Hope you, your family and everyone over there are safe.

Saturday, December 16, 2006 10:12 PM by ScottGu

Hi Bob,

I'm don't know the specifics of the ClickOne issue you mentioned above - but if you want to email them to me I can find out for sure if it is fixed.

Saturday, December 16, 2006 10:13 PM by ScottGu

Hi Derek and Dandy,

If you can email me the details of the setup problems you are seeing, I can connect you up with the VS servicing team to have them help.

Saturday, December 16, 2006 10:15 PM by ScottGu

Hi Speed32,

Unfortunately the power literally went off in Seattle about 10 minutes before the Vista patch was uploaded to the MSDN download server - which is why it isn't there now.  The power is back on and we should have the patch out by Monday.

Saturday, December 16, 2006 10:15 PM by ScottGu

Hi Dave,

If you install VS 2005 SP1 on XP, and then upgrade to Vista everything should work fine.  You can then install the Vista specific patch on top of that.

Saturday, December 16, 2006 10:17 PM by ScottGu

Hi Askar,

Thanks for the nice note!  We are all safe and sound now, and the power in our area is back on.

Sunday, December 17, 2006 2:08 AM by jdn

I reinstalled SP1 on top of the box where I had installed it and lost Web Application Projects.  They re-appeared.

Go figure.

# Installed fine - requesting list of changes / bugfixes

Sunday, December 17, 2006 4:54 AM by Anders Borum

Great to see SP1 out of beta - it installs perfectly on our VS 2005 Team Suites.

I'm especially happy with the that that Microsoft is back on track releasing service packs for the Visual Studio environment - we were anxiously awating this one (thanks for making it available to us this early).

Scott - is there a list of changes / bugfixes available online?

Sunday, December 17, 2006 9:41 AM by Sean

Thanks Scott!!! I've been waiting for this one!!

Sunday, December 17, 2006 1:31 PM by ScottGu

Hi Kenneth,

Can you send me an email about the Index out of bounds error you saw?  I haven't heard of this before, and would love to have someone investigate.

Sunday, December 17, 2006 1:34 PM by ScottGu

Hi Anders,

Glad it is working well! I think the plan is to post a full list of fixes on MSDN.  I think the connect site will also show whether a speciifc fix you are looking for is in it.

Sunday, December 17, 2006 1:37 PM by ScottGu

Hi Anand,

Can you send me an email with the details you listed above?  I can then loop someone in from the VS servicing team to help figure out why you are seeing the install behavior you are seeing.

Sunday, December 17, 2006 1:42 PM by ScottGu

Hi Richard,

The good news is that VS 2005 SP1 now allows you to control the exact port number and virtual path used - you are no longer restricted to a dynamic one.

Just select the web-site root project node in your solution explorer, and then within the property grid you can change the "VirtualPath" property to "/", set the dynamic port to false, and then after a few seconds change the Port Number to anything you want.

Sunday, December 17, 2006 3:53 PM by sontek

I don't have my task list commenting now that I have SP1 (//TODO, //HACK)  is there a fix for this?

Sunday, December 17, 2006 8:20 PM by Tkim

Good! so, I installed VS 2005 SP1(Korean) successfully. but, I can't install VS 2005 Web Application Project Setup(.msi) on my machine. Can not install WebApplicationProjectSetup.msi on VS 2005(Korean) yet??

Monday, December 18, 2006 4:09 AM by ScottGu

Hi TKim,

Once you have SP1 installed, you *do not* need to install the VS 2005 Web Application Project MSI.

The Korean version of SP1 includes the web application project support built-in.

Monday, December 18, 2006 6:10 AM by EShy

wasn't this SP supposed to fix the intellisense problems with AJAX?

I updated to SP1 and the AJAX RC and I still have this problem

Monday, December 18, 2006 6:16 AM by EssCee

How can you check that SP1 installed correctly and if it has installed SP1? After i installed it i looked at the About screen in VS but nothing reflects this having SP1?

Thanks in advance

Monday, December 18, 2006 7:55 AM by Olivier

What about the availability of the corresponding Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable Package (x86) ?

Monday, December 18, 2006 9:30 AM by Mark Wilson

Having installed the service pack (first uninstalling web application templates) it doesn't seem to give me support for web application projects, they no longer load up?

I can't create a new one either?

Monday, December 18, 2006 9:43 AM by Mark Ewer

Does this service pack include the fix/resolution for the MS Project integration error where the Active Directory user account names have a comman (such as Ewer, Mark) and MS Project considers this to be two resources instead of one person?

Mark Ewer

Monday, December 18, 2006 11:59 AM by Gabe

Where can I find a list of what fixes are contained in the service pack? I've done the normal Google and MS searching and could only find the release notes which basically contains instalation issues.

I specificaly want to know if ASP.NET VB "websites" now respect the option strict and explicit in the web.config? I would also like more information on websites vs. web projects (but I think I can find that by searching your blogs).

Thanks Scott.

Monday, December 18, 2006 12:23 PM by SRI

Scott,

Can you list out some of the bug fixes and changes made in the SP1 release. A link to the changes is also appreciated.

Thanks

Monday, December 18, 2006 12:44 PM by Robert Kitson

Hey Scott,

I've been trying to find a list of bug fixes/enhancements that sp1 will provide.  I've already installed the service pack, just want to know what to expect (and what's not necessarily expected) from it.  There was a list, about 5 items long, that had some general enhancements, but I'm looking for more detailed bugs/enhancements.

Thanks a bunch.

Monday, December 18, 2006 2:24 PM by Lee Barnard

Well, I've installed it, and now VS 2005 refuses to load, got this in the application log:

.NET Runtime version 2.0.50727.42 - Fatal Execution Engine Error (7C812A5B) (800703e9)

Monday, December 18, 2006 3:11 PM by giMoz

Scott,

i've installed the beta on XP_sp2, but it doesn't appear in the add/remove software list :(

Any ideas about removing the beta?

Monday, December 18, 2006 3:53 PM by Aaron Schnieder

Hey Scott,

Thanks for all of the hard work. Is there a list of the hotfixes that are included in SP1? We have installed a few of the hotfixes that have to do with VB.NET performance and we need to know if these are included...

Thanks!

Monday, December 18, 2006 4:06 PM by ScottGu

Hi SRI (and others),

I just sent mail to the servicing team to see if there is a master list of all issues fixed with this service pack.  I am going to try and get this posted in the next few weeks (unfortunately many people are out because of holidays - so it might be in Jan when it gets done).

Monday, December 18, 2006 4:08 PM by ScottGu

Hi giMoz,

Is there a "show updates" checkbox in your Add/Remove Programs list?  It could be that the update only shows up when you have this checked.

Monday, December 18, 2006 4:12 PM by ScottGu

Hi Simone,

Can you send me an email that describes what happened in more detail?  I'll then loop some folks in from the servicing setup team to investigate.

Monday, December 18, 2006 4:13 PM by ScottGu

Hi Richard,

The "installation source is not available" means that the setup program needs to copy a file from the origional CD/DVD or network share containing the Visual Studio files.  Can you check the path of the dialog and insert the DVD with the corresponding files into the computer?

Monday, December 18, 2006 4:15 PM by ScottGu

Hi Anders,

The port path should work just fine with VS 2005 Web Site Projects.  I am going to try and do a blog post about this new feature in the next few days which will cover how to set it.

Monday, December 18, 2006 4:16 PM by ScottGu

Hi Mark,

Can you send me an email describing your configuration more (specifically not seeing the new web application project template)?

Monday, December 18, 2006 4:29 PM by ScottGu

Hi EShy,

To fix the ASP.NET AJAX Intellisense issue, you need to do the following step:

Delete the cached schema files for control markup Intellisense that VS maintains.  This will ensure that your HTML source editor Intellisense for the ASP.NET AJAX controls is correct and doesn't get lost (otherwise it might incorrectly use the old values from the Beta2 release).

- With Windows XP you do this by deleting all files in this directory: c:\Document and Settings\[YourUserName]\Application Data\Microsoft\VisualStudio\8.0\ReflectedSchemas

- With Windows Vista you do this by deleting all files in this directory: c:\Users\[YourUserName]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\VisualStudio\8.0\ReflectedSchemas

Once you delete these schema files and restart VS, it will re-calculate the HTML markup Intellisense for all controls the first time you switch into design view, and pick up the changes from the assembly name change.

Monday, December 18, 2006 4:30 PM by John

No one at our company was able to install the sp.  We kept getting the "did not pass digital signature check" error message.  We followed the instruction on the support page provided but did not help.

Monday, December 18, 2006 4:35 PM by ScottGu

Hi Peter,

Can you send me an email about the (re-) setup issue you saw?  I can then loop someone in from the setup team to take a look.

Monday, December 18, 2006 4:42 PM by ScottGu

Hi John,

Can you send me an email wabout the "did not pass digital signature check" error you are seeing?  I can then loop you in with someone who can help investigate.

Monday, December 18, 2006 6:47 PM by Jay

Thanks for the update.

I downloaded the SP1, then uninstalled Web application projects, and then tried to apply the SP1, but it failed. I tried so many times, but it keeps giving the following error:

"The installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package. This may indicate a problem with this package. The error code is 2908"

Now I can't event access VS 2005!!

I am stuck, please help!

Monday, December 18, 2006 7:57 PM by Mark

Hi all,

Scott, unfortunately you look like you've become the de facto Microsoft support desk on this Service Pack!  I've got a few issues with VS2k5 but based on all the comments, perhaps I should wait for a service pack for the service pack?  :)

Cheers

Monday, December 18, 2006 8:29 PM by Altug

Hi Scott,

I tried to install the SP1 but I got this "The installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package. This may indicate a problem with this package. The error code is 2902".

I am using XP SP2, VS 2005 Professional. I don't have the SP1 beta and I unsintalled the web application project prior to tring to install the SP1.

Have you heard of this?

Thanks

Altug

Monday, December 18, 2006 9:45 PM by Tkim

Thanks a lot. Scott.

As you told me, *do not* need to install the VS 2005 Web Application Project MSI separately.

I found out that I have to remove "Visual Studio 2005 extensions for .NET Framework 3.0 (WCF & WPF)" before install VS 2005 SP 1.

Thanks.

Tuesday, December 19, 2006 4:27 AM by EShy

Thanks,

I deleted these files after reading your AJAX RC1 post, the switch to design mode did solve the problem but I had to delete the files again for it to work.

still, no more 'unknown element' errors, so it's all good...

Tuesday, December 19, 2006 4:32 AM by Alexander

Hello,

I have uninstalled the Web App Project and installed the SP1. No Probs at this time.

Now I tried to open a solution, which was created within a Web App Project and getting this error:

"some of the properties associated with the solution could not be read"

Tuesday, December 19, 2006 5:08 AM by Dino Hsu

I am new to .net web app.

I found random.next(1,6) comes out with no 6, and the problem is not fixed in SP1.

Tuesday, December 19, 2006 8:07 AM by stm

Re-setup issue:

My experiences installing the sp1 on win2k3 (i tried with the full install of a msdn professional subscription in open license)

- The stupid "did not pass digital signature check" error first, but the workaround solved it.

- The first setup (5-10 minutes): "...updating visual studio 2005 premier partner enu..." (what is this !?)

- Immediately after that finished, a second setup started automatically (20-30 minutes): "...updating visual studio 2005 professional edition enu..."

Maybe that is the normal way for the subcription versions...

Anyway the UI of this setup is quite annoying and low quality:

"gathering required information" for 10 min

or

installing at 0% for 20 min

no local help, no local readme, no fixed bugs list, no new features list etc.

Tuesday, December 19, 2006 8:57 AM by Scott

Is anyone else having trouble installing this service pack? I have downloaded the executable for VS2005 Professional but when I try to run it I am getting the error message:

"C:\VS80sp1-KB926601-X86-ENU.exe is not a valid Win32 application."

The reason that I have found for this message is trying to install a 64-bit application onto a 32-bit OS but there are no options for downloading different versions for 32 or 64-bit systems.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Tuesday, December 19, 2006 9:27 AM by Bob DeVeaux

Excellent. 461MB downloaded in 8m14sec.

Next step. Install. I'll let you know how I get on. :)

Tuesday, December 19, 2006 9:33 AM by Gabe

Scott, one thing I noticed that may be forcing the patch to use more memory than it needs is that when it runs, the patch creates two processes. One is the standard MSI process (which eats 100% of the CPU and runs at about 60MB). The other, however, has the same process name as the original compressed executable of the service pack and consumes about 500MB of memory while remaining idle. This may be by design, but it seems like after unpacking the archive, the entire archive process remains in memory instead of exiting and then running the update.

Tuesday, December 19, 2006 11:18 AM by Oliver Mellet

Dino, that's not a bug.  The MSDN docs say that the 2nd parameter is "The exclusive upper bound of the random number returned," meaning it's not included in the range of numbers to be returned.

Tuesday, December 19, 2006 1:16 PM by ScottGu

Hi Scott,

Can you try to download the setup patch again to make sure that the problem isn't being caused by sometype of file corruption on download?  If that doesn't fix it, can you send me email and I will loop you in with someone on the VS servicing team to help.

Tuesday, December 19, 2006 2:04 PM by ScottGu

Hi Jay/Altug,

If you could send me an email describing your issue, I can loop you in with someone from the setup team to help investigate.

Tuesday, December 19, 2006 5:36 PM by Trent

Dino,

random.next(1,6) defines the bounds as 1 to 6, but excludes 6.  If you want to have 1-6 you need to specify random.next(1,7)

Tuesday, December 19, 2006 5:53 PM by Brian Nash

We installed it here at my office and ran into a problem with the sourcesafe integration.

Typically, to do a "clean" build we completely blow away all the folders and files on the machine, then open the solution from sourcesafe.

When we tried that after SP1 we got an error msg "One or more projects in the solution could not be loaded for the following reasons: The project file or web has been moved, renamed or is not on your computer."  OK was the only choice.

Then another error window "Some of the properties associated with the solution could not be read.".

This solution does have a website in it, along with some class libraries and forms applications...

Anyone else see anything like this?

Tuesday, December 19, 2006 6:41 PM by J.Marsch

Is there a complete list of updates that are provided with the patch?

I read the online release notes, and the KB article, but neither seemed to list all of the enhancements.

Tuesday, December 19, 2006 7:04 PM by momo

We tried to install the SP1 but we got this "Error 1718.  File filename was rejected by digital signature policy".   We followed the instruction to workaround on the support page provided but did not help.

We are using Win2005 server and VS 2005 Professional. We don't have the SP1 beta and web application project.

Thanks!

Tuesday, December 19, 2006 9:22 PM by ScottGu

Hi Momo,

Can you send me an email with details about the problem you ran into?  I'll then loop in someone from the setup team to help.

Tuesday, December 19, 2006 9:23 PM by ScottGu

Hi Brian,

Can you send me an email with details about the source control behavior change you saw?  I'll then loop someone in from that team who can help you with it.

Wednesday, December 20, 2006 1:15 AM by Don Juan

Why isn't the binary signeed by MS?

Why does not it install even after an Hour?

WHY SCOTT WHY?

Wednesday, December 20, 2006 9:21 AM by Bob DeVeaux

In response to my earlier post. I have installed VS2005 SP1 without a problem onto XP SP2. I then installed ASPAJAXExtSetup.msi and I can now create a wonderful Web Application Project using AJAX.

Thanks for the support :)

Cheers,

Bob

Wednesday, December 20, 2006 9:31 AM by Stendal

1. I've uninstalled Web Application Project.

2. I've installed SP1 - succesfully.

3. Opening my solution went allmost just fine, except that my Web Deploy Projekt can't open!!

Getting this error:

The application for project 'D:\..\..\Web_deploy\Web_deploy.wdproj' is not installed.

Make sure the application for the project type (.wdproj) is installed.

Any ideas?

Stendal

Wednesday, December 20, 2006 12:31 PM by ScottGu

Hi Stendal,

Can you try uninstalling the VS 2005 Web Deployment Project, and then installing it again?  I'm wondering if some of the setup logic needs to re-run with SP1.

Wednesday, December 20, 2006 12:32 PM by ScottGu

Hi Don,

The SP1 binary is definitely signed by Microsoft.  Did it end up completing in the end?

Wednesday, December 20, 2006 12:57 PM by Stendal

Hi Scott,

DOOOHH! I had even not installed the Web Deployment Project on this (new) machine. I just thought about it as a part of the Web Application Project (it could have been!?). So now after installing the Web Deployment Project everything works just fine.

Thanks for your help!

Wednesday, December 20, 2006 2:21 PM by Hank Hepler

I am getting the same as Mike Lockyer above but i am not on Vista...

error:

Any ideas? I tried to install the latest MSI but it said everything was OK...

TIA..

# Web Application Projects broken

Wednesday, December 20, 2006 4:55 PM by Anders Borum

I originally reported that SP1 installed on our Team Suite installs with no problems.

That is partly true - the installation completes with no problems, but we're unable to open any of our Web Application Projects.

The error message is approx. "the project is not supported".

We made sure all "ENU" / "Web Application Project" upgrades to VS 2005 was uninstalled prior to installing SP1.

We do have .NET 3.0 installed.

Wednesday, December 20, 2006 6:05 PM by Troy Sabin

Scott,

We're using VS Team Developer with TFS.  We're not ready to upgrade TFS, as we're in the middle of a server migration.  So I'm wondering if we should delay upgrading VS until TFS can be updated, as well.  Will VS SP1 work with TFS RTM?

Troy

Wednesday, December 20, 2006 7:56 PM by pcvc

Wednesday, December 20, 2006 9:02 PM by Chris

I have noticed that after installing SP1, that all of the declarations in a page's designer file are being prefixed with "Global."  This did not seem to happen with Beta SP1.  Just making sure this is to be expected:

Before SP1 gold:

Protected WithEvents valNoChange As System.Web.UI.WebControls.CustomValidator

After SP1:

Protected WithEvents valNoChange As Global.System.Web.UI.WebControls.CustomValidator

Thursday, December 21, 2006 2:23 AM by ScottGu

Hi Chris,

I believe the Globals prefix is correct - that helps disambiguate conflicts in type names.

Thursday, December 21, 2006 2:30 AM by ScottGu

Hi Troy,

Can you send me an email about the TFS patch question?  I don't know the answer myself, but can loop you in with someone who does.

Thursday, December 21, 2006 2:31 AM by ScottGu

Hi Anders,

Can you try doing a File->New Project and see whether you can create a Web Application Project that way?

I helped someone else with a similar problem earlier, and it turned out that it was that SP1 hadn't installed.  I'm wondering if that might be the problem.

If that isn't the case, then can you send me email and we'll have someone help debug it to figure out what is wrong.

Thursday, December 21, 2006 2:38 AM by ScottGu

Hi pcvc,

Unfortunately I think you'll still need to use the profile generator with with SP1 - since auto profile creation isn't built-in.

Sorry,

Thursday, December 21, 2006 2:48 AM by ScottGu

Hi Hank,

Can you send me an email describing the error you are seeing?  I can then loop in some folks to help.

Thursday, December 21, 2006 10:32 AM by geek001

If I needed to uninstall SP1, would I have to uninstall VS2005 completely and reinstall? Also, what should the final "version number" be (for VS05 Professional) once I have installed SP1?

Thursday, December 21, 2006 12:34 PM by ScottGu

Hi geek001,

If you wanted/needed to uninstall SP1, you can do this without having to uninstall VS 2005 (it is listed as a separate item in your add/remove programs on Windows).

To see whether you have SP1 installed, choose the help->about visual studio menu item.  This will list all products installed - and SP1 will be listed within that if it is installed.

Friday, December 22, 2006 10:13 AM by Hank Hepler

Thanks Scott...I re-intalled VS2005 and everything worked perfectly. It seems some of my files in my installer directory were hosed...re-installed and everything is fine.

Thanks for everything you do!

Friday, December 22, 2006 6:39 PM by Pieter Siegers

Hi Scott,

I just downloaded SP1 and would like to know on beforehand if I need to uninstall all installments that relate to .NET FW 3.0, before moving on to install SP1.

This is what I have installed currently (4 pieces):

- Microsoft .NET FW 3.0

- "WPF/E" (codename) Community Technology Preview (Dec 2006)

- Visual Studio 2005 extensions for .NET Framework 3.0 (WCF & WPF), November 2006 CTP

- Visual Studio 2005 Extensions for Windows Workflow Foundation

I also would like to know if the AJAX Extensions RC stuff (all three existing MSIs) I just installed will not cause trouble when installing SP1.

Thanx in advance,

Pieter

# Not sure if the download succeeded?

Saturday, December 23, 2006 3:44 AM by John

I encountered several breaking errors when downloading sp1 directly in IE. so I tried with netants, although it completed and show a 100% download, but I noticed some errors in the logs of a few downloading threads. So I doubt about the correctness of the resulting file.

the file length is 452,643,696 bytes, no digital signature tab displayed for the self-extract file, VS80sp1-KB926601-X86-ENU.exe.

after self-extracting, the msp file is 477,190,144 bytes in size, also not ditital signature tab.

Since I don't want to try downloading another time, could anyone tell me from the description above that my downloading is success or failed?

Thanks a lot.

Sunday, December 24, 2006 7:31 AM by Sandro

I have tried to install this service pack a few times but after a while my laptop just turned off. I have never had any application having such a stong result. It is not hanging or crashing, it just instantly turn off my laptop. Any ideas?

Tuesday, December 26, 2006 10:23 AM by Martin Smith

Hi Scott,

Is there any way to turn off the extreme verboseness of the generated designer files?

The control declarations now look like the below. I feel it adds no value and just makes the generated file more difficult to read!

/// <summary>

/// Head1 control.

/// </summary>

/// <remarks>

/// Auto-generated field.

/// To modify move field declaration from designer file to code-behind file.

/// </remarks>

protected global::System.Web.UI.HtmlControls.HtmlHead Head1;

Tuesday, December 26, 2006 5:10 PM by Kris

Is there any alternative ftp site to download this service pack?

I'm getting error message: "This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer.", when I try to save the file from microsoft download center.

Kris

Wednesday, December 27, 2006 10:16 PM by ScottGu

Hi Sandro,

I'm not sure what you are running into - but if you send me email I can loop someone in to help.

Wednesday, December 27, 2006 10:18 PM by ScottGu

Hi Jose,

I just checked and you are right - I don't see the Mobile Web Forms template.  If you send me email I can loop you in with someone who might be able to create some for you.

Wednesday, December 27, 2006 10:21 PM by ScottGu

Hi Pieter,

I'd probably recommend uninstalling the WCF and WPF extensions of VS prior to installing SP1 (just to be safe).  You can then install these on top of SP1.

Thursday, December 28, 2006 10:36 AM by George Handlin

Scott, I did #1

1) Before starting the SP1 upgrade make sure you first uninstall the standalone VS 2005 Web Application Project download if you've installed that on your system.  You'll no longer need this as support for it is built-in to SP1, and the SP1 installer will block and make you uninstall it if you have it installed.  Your existing web application project files will continue to work just fine - so you won't need to-do anything to update them to work with SP1.

and now my web app project won't open.

I also experienced the installation package wanting to install several times.  I only let it go once, should I have let it go again?

Thanx ..

Thursday, December 28, 2006 10:51 AM by Darren

Scott,

I've checked and profiles are not supported. I've tried the profile generation tool and personally don't like this as a solution, not to mention that it doesn't completely work correctly. I have a customer that I'm creating a portal type website that houses approximately twenty different applications, to be available for Intranet users as well as Public users, so the portions of the site(s) don't fit well in the Web Site projects model. Not having Personalization built into Web Application Project makes development a lot more difficult than it should be. Do you have any idea if Profiles will be added later? If so, when? If not, can you ask for it? Pretty please?

Darren

Thursday, December 28, 2006 11:36 AM by Mehdin

To Sandro (Laptop turn-off):

It's because stupid microsoft created complicated setup (that can be very simply in real life) that overheat your notebook processor and laptop turns-off to protect the processor. What laptop dou you have, model and config.?

Friday, December 29, 2006 1:58 PM by Martin Smith

Hi Scott,

My complaint about the verboseness wasn't the adding of the "global::" prefix

Rather the meaningless auto generated comments which take up 7 lines to tell you the name of the control!

Often I want a list of all controls on the page.

For example I will make a page and then copy the declarations out of it to ensure I remember to put in the appropriate population code for each control.

Now I have to delete out all this extraneous stuff as well and I would much rather it just wasn't generated in the first place.

Friday, December 29, 2006 10:47 PM by Neil

Nevermind, I am finding your blog posts that tell about the distinctions. Disregard earlier questions, except I am still curious why I can't start a web server in my website project after the upgrade to SP1...

Saturday, December 30, 2006 11:09 AM by ScottGu

Hi Neil,

Can you provide more details on what error you are seeing with the website not being started?  Have you configured a custom launch tool as part of the project?  If so - have you checked out this post of mine that describes a better way to-do this with SP1: http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2006/12/19/tip-trick-how-to-run-a-root-site-with-the-local-web-server-using-vs-2005-sp1.aspx

Saturday, December 30, 2006 11:10 AM by ScottGu

Hi Ken,

I don't think there is anyway to turn off the comments unfortunately - they are there primarily to help explain why the fields are being generated.

Scott

# Forced to install Visual Studio 2005 Service Pack 1 (SP1)

Saturday, December 30, 2006 3:11 PM by Jon

This morning I learned that I have to install Visual Studio 2005 SP1.  Why?  Becuase Visual Studio 2005 suddenly refused to let me open web application projects.  It started displaying this error on each attempt to open a web application project or solution file:

"project type is not supported by this installation"

After further review, I realized the Web Application Project option had been removed from the New Project dialog box inside Visual Studio.  Running the web application project installer failed to restore it.

My guess is something installed by Windows Update during the last 7 days caused this problem- most likely a stand-alone security patch for VS 2005 that I see has been installed.

This error conditiion is going to cause headaches for many, many Visual Studio developers.  If I hadn't run into this blog post about the new SP1 release, I could have easily spent all day trying to resolve the problem.

Sunday, December 31, 2006 12:02 AM by ScottGu

Hi Jon,

That is pretty odd - I don't know why the web application project download would have stopped working in the last week (we haven't released any patch that would break it).

Could you have potentially uninstalled it somehow, or installed some other VS add-in that might have altered it?

Glad you got it working with the SP1 download though.

Tuesday, January 2, 2007 10:17 AM by ScottGu

Hi George,

I think what might have happened is that you cancelled out of setup before it had finished.  I just posted a new blog post here: http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2007/01/01/a-few-vs-2005-sp1-links-and-information-nuggets.aspx that covers a lot of additional information about SP1 (including how you can check whether it is installed).  Can you try that out?

Tuesday, January 2, 2007 10:19 AM by ScottGu

Hi Darren,

Can you send me an email about the profile generator scenario you are working on?  I can then loop you in with someone who works on that component and can help.

Tuesday, January 2, 2007 2:40 PM by Gfw

I uninstalled Web Projects and then installed Service Pack 1. Now if I try to load a web project VS2005 thinks and then exits - I have WinXP Pro with all service [packs and updates installed.

Any help appreciated

Tuesday, January 2, 2007 3:41 PM by ScottGu

Hi Gfw,

Can you send me an email (scottgu@microsoft.com) with details of what you have installed?  I'll then loop you in with someone who can help figure out what is going wrong.

Wednesday, January 3, 2007 5:25 PM by Christian Maslen

Hi Scott,

I am using Web Site Projects from SP1 to host WCF services. When I host the services in the Visual Studio Development Server, navigating to the Service.svc url results in a 404 error. The logged exception looks as follows:

An exception of type 'System.ServiceModel.EndpointNotFoundException' occurred and was caught.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

01/04/2007 09:14:15

Type : System.ServiceModel.EndpointNotFoundException, System.ServiceModel, Version=3.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089

Message : The service '/MyHost/MyService.svc' does not exist.

Source : System.ServiceModel

Help link :

Data : System.Collections.ListDictionaryInternal

TargetSite : Void EnsureServiceAvailable(System.String)

Stack Trace :    at System.ServiceModel.ServiceHostingEnvironment.HostingManager.EnsureServiceAvailable(String normalizedVirtualPath)

at System.ServiceModel.ServiceHostingEnvironment.EnsureServiceAvailableFast(String relativeVirtualPath)

at System.ServiceModel.Activation.HostedHttpRequestAsyncResult.HandleRequest()

at System.ServiceModel.Activation.HostedHttpRequestAsyncResult.BeginRequest()

When I host the service using IIS everything works fine. Hosing the service using an ASP.Net 2.0 web site using the dev server also works fine.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the  VS extensions for .Net 3.0 (WCF & WPF) Nov CTP without any change.

Thanks in advance,

Christian.

Thursday, January 4, 2007 10:18 AM by heuristick

Does anyone have a MD5 (or SHA) hash for the download? That would make it easier to verify that the file was downloaded properly. I couldn't find one on the download page, KB article, or the download prompt page...

Saturday, January 6, 2007 7:01 PM by ScottGu

Hi Cristian,

Can you send me an email that includes the details of this error?  I can then loop you in with someone on the WFC team to help investigate.

Wednesday, January 10, 2007 1:45 AM by ScottGu

Hi AJ,

You'll want to first install VS 2005 SP1 on your system, and then install the SP1 Update for Windows Vista (which adds some additional Vista specific fixes on top of it).

Wednesday, January 10, 2007 1:51 AM by ScottGu

Hi Greg,

Can you send me an email with more details on the setup problem you are seeing with this?  I can then loop you in with someone on the setup team to help.

When does the error message happen?  Is it when you first run setup?

Wednesday, January 10, 2007 1:55 PM by Travis

I saw someone post about the "Index was outside the bounds of the array" error received when trying to publish. Has there been a fix to this? I am seeing this error along with a coworker. We have vs2k5 team edition for devs on win xp. We have a lot of projects we work on and use the publish function, so to have this broken is a problem.

Thanks for your help,

Travis

Thursday, January 11, 2007 6:17 AM by bharath

Hi,

I'm facing a serious issue while installing VS 2005 SP1 on Windows XP system & having VS 2005 with Hotfix KB910275 , update KB898904 and update KB915364; I donot have either beta or WebApplication Projects installed. The system gets crashed while installing the SP1. I have followed the installation steps clearly.

Any help on this ??

Thursday, January 11, 2007 11:04 AM by Bill

I downloaded the SP yesterday, took over 1 hour on our T1

Decided to defrag and scan disk before installation so I took it and installed it on my laptop.

Start at 5:20 PM

got Please wat message at 5:26

Fan kicked on at 5:28 because of 100% CPU usage

Received Do you want to do this message at 5:30

Gathering required message at 5:33

Called to dinner at 5:47

Returned at 6:18

0 seconds left at 6:22

Installed message at 6:37

Finally done at 6:38

This was on an AMD 64 bit, Dual Core with 1Gb of RAM.

I don't think the operating system took this long to install...

Friday, January 12, 2007 2:22 AM by ScottGu

Hi bharath,

Can you send me email detailing the installation problems you are having?  I will then loop you in with someone who can help.

Friday, January 12, 2007 2:36 AM by ScottGu

Hi Travis,

Can you send me an email about the index out of bounds error that you are seeing?  I can then have someone work with you to figure out what is going on.

Monday, January 15, 2007 3:11 PM by Jennifer

Installed VS2005 SP1 on development PC.  Compiled C++ COM dll and now it won't register on PC without SP1.  Installing SP1 worked, but not all our customers have VS2005.  Any ideas?  Is there another distro available - or compiler switches?

Thanks!

Thursday, January 18, 2007 12:43 AM by C. Moya

SP1 doesn't seem to solve the brainnumbingly dumb global Option Strict bug in ASP.NET 2.0.

It seems we still have to declare "Option Strict On" at the top of EACH AND EVERY code module.

Am I missing something here. This is ridiculous.

Thursday, January 18, 2007 10:47 AM by Srodriguez

Has anyone been able to slipstream Visual Studio SP1?

Friday, January 19, 2007 9:25 PM by ScottGu

Hi Rob,

Have you looked at this plug-in for the Profile API with Web Application Projects: http://www.gotdotnet.com/workspaces/workspace.aspx?id=406eefba-2dd9-4d80-a48c-b4f135df4127

It allows you to create a strongly typed profile API for Profiles.

Friday, January 19, 2007 9:32 PM by ScottGu

Hi BobC,

Can you send me an email with details of this issue?  I'll then loop you in with somone who can help.

Friday, January 19, 2007 10:55 PM by ScottGu

Hi hernan,

Thursday, January 25, 2007 9:32 AM by David Sandor

Work around for 'Index was outside the bounds of the array.' error during publish.

Drop out to a Visual Studio 2005 command prompt.  Manually run the aspnet_compiler.exe in order to precompile/publish the website.

In order to do this you need a publish directory (in a path which is different from your source tree for the website).

run this command:

aspnet_compiler.exe -p [path to website source code] -v [name of website - arbitrary, does not need to exist] [path to publish website]

Hope this helps out while we await a fix.

Friday, January 26, 2007 2:47 AM by unhappy

WHY DOES THIS GET STUCK IN GATHERING INFORMATION PLEASE FIX OR ADVISE ON A FIX THIS IS REALLY ANNOYING.

NO REASON FOR SOMETHING TO GO INTO A TIGHT LOOP LIKE THIS.

Friday, January 26, 2007 8:57 PM by not gathering information

SP1 seems to be hanging up in "gathering information" is there any way to solve this?  Thanks.

Friday, January 26, 2007 11:45 PM by Jason Justian

I read Heath Stewart's blog entry entitled "VS 2005 SP1 Requires a lot of Disk Space" and all the comments on that page.  But there wasn't much solid data there.

I've got VS2005 Standard Edition.  I've got C#, C++, VisualBasic, J#, and Visual Web Developer installed.  My "Currently Installed Programs" list says that VS2005 is occupying just over 2GB.

I have 8GB free on my hard drive.  How much of that 8GB will be left after I install SP1?

Regards,

Jason Justian

Monday, January 29, 2007 8:01 PM by Hua Yang

Hi Scott,

I saw somebody asked you about the error 2908 in installing VS2005 sp1. I did not see you post any solution. Can you post the solutions here?

thank you.

Monday, January 29, 2007 11:45 PM by ScottGu

Hi Hua,

Can you send me an email with details of the problem you are having?  I can then loop you in with someone who can help.

Monday, January 29, 2007 11:56 PM by ScottGu

Hi Jason,

Good question - although to be honest with you, though, I'm not 100% sure.  I believe it shouldn't take more than 500MB though (and potentially not even that).

It will need more space during install, but should clean this up once it is finished.

Tuesday, January 30, 2007 10:20 AM by Marcus Eklund

Any words on RTM for SP1 for Vista?

That is the only thing that keeps me from upgrading asap!

Thursday, February 1, 2007 10:25 PM by kikoman8

I've been trying to research on my disk space problem after installing SP1 when I stumbled on the posts here...

Scott, you mentioned that after the install, it should have itself cleaned up.  My problem is that after my Windows Update install, my free disk space of 4+ Gb went down to 1+ Gb.  Kinda weird since SP1 shouldn't be beyond 500 Mb.

At first few tries in installing SP1, they failed because I didn't know I need to uninstall Web Application Projects add-in first.  I did that and ran Windows Update again, installing SP1 successfully.  But there I noticed the big loss in disk space.  Restarting the computer didn't make any improvements, and running Disk Cleanup didn't help either (can't detect any large temporary files at all).  I tried to search for hidden folders with large contents... nada.

I've been trying to search for some answers through blogs all day.  I hope someone would be able to point me to the right direction. :)

Thanks! ;)

Friday, February 2, 2007 5:15 PM by Milton Lopez

Scott:

I appreciate you keeping this communication channel open, but a quick look through these posts is enough to give any system administrator a serious pause. I don't recall a software update causing so many issues while trying to run - never mind actually getting installed.

I am now seeing "Error 1718. File C:\Windows\Installer\81bd1ed6.msp did not pass the digital signature check, presumably due to lack of contigous memory. I am doing this on a busy server. Whatever the merits of digital signing, they are worthless if they cause this much trouble.

May I submit that those in charge of creating these service packs should think through a bit more carefully on the impact of their decisions on a broad range of users?

Thanks again for listening.

M.

Sunday, February 4, 2007 5:27 PM by ScottGu

Hi Marcus,

I believe the SP1 for Vista is coming really soon (next week or two) - so not long now.

Sunday, February 4, 2007 5:29 PM by ScottGu

Hi Milton,

Sorry about the trouble you are having. :-(

HeathS blogged about the 1718 error on his blog here: http://blogs.msdn.com/heaths/archive/2007/01/11/known-issues-with-visual-studio-2005-service-pack-1.aspx

Included within his post are steps to allow you to work around this and get the patch installed.

Sunday, February 4, 2007 5:42 PM by ScottGu

Hi Bob,

Can you send me an email with more details about the COM issue you are seeing?

Sunday, February 4, 2007 5:43 PM by ScottGu

Hi kikoman8,

Can you send me an email with your disk space issue?  I can then loop someone in to help.

# No Solution for "Gathering required Information" problem

Tuesday, February 6, 2007 2:12 PM by Gerik

Hey Scott,

I apologize, but I don't see a clear answer about the "Gathering Required Information" hang-up.  I have come to a point where I am nearly incapable of installing anything on my computer because everything gets hung up on "Gathering Information".

Have you come across any answers for this?

Thanks--

Tuesday, February 6, 2007 2:30 PM by eodessa

I reinstalled SP1 on top and lost VS 2005 Web Deployment Projects.

Wednesday, February 7, 2007 12:39 PM by ScottGu

Hi Eodessa,

Can you re-install web deployment projects after installing SP1.  It should show up then.

Wednesday, February 7, 2007 12:39 PM by ScottGu

Hi Gerik,

I haven't seen this issue before.  Can you send me an email that describes it - I will then loop in someone to the thread to help.

# Vista Update Release

Monday, February 12, 2007 3:35 PM by Atlas

Any updated estimate on when the final release of the Vista update is expected?  :-D

Tuesday, February 13, 2007 12:57 AM by ScottGu

Hi Atlas,

I believe the update is due shortly -- I think teams are just doing final test passes on it now.

Wednesday, February 14, 2007 1:02 PM by Duane

I've searched everywhere, but can't seem to find an answer - After SP1, when we goto publish a website we get "Build failed" with "Index was outside the bounds of the array"

If I publish from command line, it works fine.  Any ideas?

THANKS

Thursday, February 15, 2007 6:57 AM by RM

Agreed, the SP1 is slow to install, my installation has been doing on for 1 hour, still on the "Gathering required information.." dialog. This is after I aborted the process twice thinking it was just hung, reading this and Heather's blog I finally decided to let it slog. Enuf said. I wanted to know is anybody experiencing any major issues after the install has happened? I am using just the Visual C++ environment and my project also uses STLPort. Anybody else has experience of the same, how did it work out? Because I would like to recommend to my team to update if things look good. Also could you detail if you noticed any performance improvement? Like the horrible "Updating Intellisense" bug, is it fixed?

Friday, February 16, 2007 2:00 PM by ScottGu

Hi Duane,

The "Index was outside the bounds of the array" issue happens when you try and publish a site when you have a root virtual path configured for the built-in web-server.

This was unfortunately a bug regression that slipped into SP1.  We are working on a QFE patch, though, that you will be able to download to fix it.  If you want to send me an email I'd be happy to put you on the list to get notified when it is available.

Monday, February 19, 2007 12:56 PM by mg

I see a couple of people that were having problems seeing the web application template after sp1 install, but I don't really see a solution.  I have installed sp1 on standard edition and don't see a web application template (or any web templates for that matter).

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Friday, February 23, 2007 12:02 AM by Kyle

hi Scott

any answers to that problem of publishing projects after installing SP1

the index out of bound issue?

Friday, February 23, 2007 12:05 AM by Kyle

re: "Index was outside the bounds of the array"

can you put me on the list for the QFE

kyle.huynh@sportscover.com

Friday, February 23, 2007 2:28 AM by ScottGu

Hi MG,

Are you still having problems with this?  If so, can you send me email?  I will then have someone help you get it working.

Friday, February 23, 2007 11:02 AM by Mike Bolesta

I'm also missing the Mobile Web Forms template after installing the service pack. Is this available online anywhere?

Friday, February 23, 2007 11:08 AM by LiFo

regarding Index was out of bounds

my workaround is to type just something in the virtual path

like "/webb"

close VS

open VS and then publish works

then switch back to "/" and work

Friday, February 23, 2007 5:01 PM by gregb

When installing SP1 it gets a little over half way through 'gathering required information' then shuts down my whole computer!  I've tried it 4 times now, each with the same result.  After the 3rd try I uninstalled VS and reinstalled, but still no luck.  I'm stumped.

Monday, February 26, 2007 2:53 PM by Duane

Thanks for the info, Scott.

Please include me in on the list when the hotfix is available.  My email is flatblacktx@yahoo.com

Thanks!

Tuesday, February 27, 2007 2:47 AM by ScottGu

Hi Mike,

You can download the Mobile Web Forms templates for the VS 2005 Web Application Project option here: http://blogs.msdn.com/webdevtools/archive/2007/01/09/tip-trick-using-mobile-web-forms-with-web-applicaiton-projects.aspx

Tuesday, February 27, 2007 2:54 AM by ScottGu

Hi Greg,

I'm really sorry you are running into issues with the setup.  Can you send me email (scottgu@microsoft.com) describing the issue? I will then have someone help you with it.

Saturday, March 3, 2007 9:29 PM by ScottGu

Hi David,

Are you still having problems with installing SP1?  If so, can you send me an email with the above details?  I'll then loop you in with someone on the setup team to help.

Thursday, March 8, 2007 2:01 PM by ScottGu

Hi Scott,

Can you send me an email (scottgu@microsoft.com) with details of the issues you are running into?  I can then loop someone in from the setup team to help get them resolved.

Monday, March 12, 2007 10:39 AM by Cordu

Hi Nathanael Jones,

I have the same problem for Vista and VS2005 SP1 + SP1 Update for Vista. (The 'Web Site' project option is missing.)

Did you find any solution?

Cordu

Monday, March 19, 2007 2:34 AM by ScottGu

Hi Keith,

Can you send me an email (scottgu@microsoft.com) with more details about the crashes you are seeing?

I can then have someone help identify what is going on, and provide a hotfix.