Next Generation Yahoo Messenger built with WPF and .NET

At the Consumer Electronics Show this week, Yahoo showed off some cool demos with their next generation messenger client (you can watch a video of it in action at http://messenger.yahoo.com/vista).  One of the really cool things about the new messenger client is that it was built using Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) and the .NET Framework.

One of the most powerful aspects of WPF is its ability to create really immersive user experiences that go far beyond what we typically expect today from either a client or web application.  Developers can style and templatize UI in a way not possible with most other UI frameworks, and use its built-in UI/Code separation model to enable both designers and developers to collaborate on projects together.

Over the next few months I'll be posting a number of blog posts that walkthrough how you can start learning WPF to build great applications (note: WPF is now a built-in library of the .NET Framework redist).  If you are interested in learning more about WPF I'd also highly recommend subscribing to "theWPFBlog" - which posts some great articles on both WPF and WPF/E (the above screenshot came from this recent post).

Fun stuff,

Scott

Published Sunday, January 7, 2007 11:12 PM by ScottGu
Filed under: , ,

Comments

# re: Next Generation Yahoo Messenger built with WPF and .NET

Monday, January 8, 2007 3:55 AM by Simone

What about a real WPF version of the MSN messenger, too?

Monday, January 8, 2007 4:08 AM by Keyvan Nayyeri

I hope Live team builts a WPF version for WLM :-)

Monday, January 8, 2007 6:43 AM by Ahmad Zayed

This is good, but I still don't like moving to Vista due to the hardware requirement.

But I have to say, great job

Bye

Monday, January 8, 2007 8:36 AM by wooncherk

i can see the future of WPF... it's a great technology... and i think i'll be learning it soon...

Monday, January 8, 2007 8:42 AM by Sahil Malik

Wow, finally we have a yahoo messenger that looks good. Neat !!

Monday, January 8, 2007 9:19 AM by Jesse Houwing

I surely hope Live Messenger will also follow this path. It looks amazing, and integration into the Sidebar is something I've been trying to find. Too bad almost no dutch people nor collegues are using Yahoo messenger. I'll have to wait for Live messenger to play catch-up.

Monday, January 8, 2007 10:15 AM by Dunc

I was expecting something with a bit more 'wow' than that.

Those transparent chat windows are just hideous, and the smilies which popup (like the MSN winks) are incredibly annoying.

And do people really care that much about the colour of the application?

Most of the stuff demonstrated in that video is just tiny UI changes. About the only thing that was interesting was the picture sharing functionality. But again, if someone shows me a picture like that on chat, I often want to save a copy on my computer.

Monday, January 8, 2007 12:21 PM by Walt Ritscher

Scott Guthrie enters the WPF arena...

Monday, January 8, 2007 5:26 PM by X.Static

My hunch is that if Y! is already doing WPF for their chat program, MS isn't far behind.

Tuesday, January 9, 2007 1:02 AM by vikram

great job. This new technology is really exciting

Tuesday, January 9, 2007 5:47 AM by manjunath

Waiting for your walkthroughs on WPF :)

Tuesday, January 9, 2007 12:03 PM by Paul D. Murphy

Hey Scott,

Maybe you can show us how to make controls work on a glass frame like the Gadget picker and the top chunk of that Yahoo Messenger tool.

To the abover posters, I give it 6 weeks or so before it's MS Yahoo, there really isn't any reason for the Live team to build a client, the Yahoo team is doing it for them right now. :p

Paul

Tuesday, January 9, 2007 9:44 PM by Subashini

WPF is turning out to be a cool technology .......will be learning it soon

Tuesday, January 23, 2007 9:12 AM by Hitesh A

As this is based on WPF, can I install .NET 3.0 and run this messenger on windows XP as well?

Am I incorrect in thinking so?