October 8th Links: ASP.NET, ASP.NET AJAX, Silverlight, and .NET

Here is the latest in my link-listing series.  Also check out my ASP.NET Tips, Tricks and Tutorials page for links to popular articles I've done myself in the past.

ASP.NET

• BlogEngine.NET 1.2 Released: Mads Kristensen and team have published an updated version of the great BlogEngine.NET open source blogging system.  You can read more about it on Mads' announcement blog post here.

ASP.NET AJAX

• ModalPopup with Multiple Cancel Buttons: Matt Berseth has a nice article that describes how to support both a cancel button as well as a close "X" button in the top right corner of a ASP.NET AJAX Modal Popup Dialog.

Silverlight

• Silverlight Unleashed Book Ships this Week: Adam Nathan's excellent Silverlight Unleashed book ships later this week (October 11th).  Adam wrote the best-selling WPF Unleashed book that has been one of the top selling programming books on Amazon this year, and he is also the core architect of the Microsoft PopFly service (which is built using Silverlight). I'm really looking forward to getting a printed copy of the new book!

• Farseer Physics Engine: This free CodePlex project provides a nice 2D physics engine for Silverlight 1.1.  You can check out some online demos of it here.

• Deploying Silverlight in the Enterprise: David Tesar and Tim Sneath point to a good document that enterprise IT administrators can use to learn more about how to automatically deploy Silverlight in locked-down enterprise environments.

.NET

• C# Coding Standard Guidelines: Juval Lowry from IDesign has published this excellent C# coding standards guideline document.  Extremely useful if you are looking for a concise checklist of good suggestions to keep your codebase clean.

• DevTeach Vancouver: The excellent DevTeach conference in Vancouver is coming up in November.  This is a great conference with a ton of session content.

Hope this helps,

Scott

Published Monday, October 8, 2007 11:14 PM by ScottGu

Comments

# re: October 8th Links: ASP.NET, ASP.NET AJAX, Silverlight, and .NET

Tuesday, October 9, 2007 3:31 AM by SoftMind

Hi Scott,

When can we expect your blog on MVC, that you recently announced at Alt.Net.

MVC on Asp.Net is the most blog from your side.

No one can explain MVC better than you.

It would be better if it comes in parts like..

(1) What is MVC and (2) What it can do

How it does is not important at this stage.

Is it any way related to Jasper..?

Thanks

Tuesday, October 9, 2007 3:33 AM by ChrisNTR

Thanks Scott for the links!

They always provide something work looking at.

Keep up the good work :o)

Tuesday, October 9, 2007 5:14 AM by Juan

Hi Scott, We love and always look forward to your Tips, Tricks, Recipes and Gotchas series here in Oz!

Always full of goodies.

Thanks,

Juan

Tuesday, October 9, 2007 6:54 AM by Vikram

Tuesday, October 9, 2007 7:32 AM by denis@naxtech.com

Tuesday, October 9, 2007 7:50 AM by GirishAwate

gone through the stuff, quite usefull but premitive, can you put some light on what not to do while aspx coding from security and health point of view and best ways to do so ...

thanks for all your great work and for sharing ....

Tuesday, October 9, 2007 9:11 AM by pete

I know that most of the many of the example in silverlight deal with videos; however,  as a photographer/programer I am more intrested in photos.   Koen Zwikstra at firstfloorSoftware.com has put up a great free example.  It can handel upto 200,000 pictures.  By pushing a button it goes to full screen mode.  At my site all of my gallerys where built using his silverlight example.

Tuesday, October 9, 2007 9:43 AM by Jonathon

I was reading the C# style guide linked to above, and I took issue with a few things, but I just stopped reading when it recommended turning on Smart Navigation on ASP.NET web pages.

Tuesday, October 9, 2007 9:50 AM by Josh Stodola

Another great set of links, keep em coming!  I am going to read the three Scott Mitchell articles right now.

Best regards...

Tuesday, October 9, 2007 10:10 AM by ScottGu

Hi Vikram,

>>>>>> thanks for links once again. By the way when are you planning to return back to your LINQ posts again ?

I'm hoping to do the next segment this upcoming weekend.  They tend to take several hours to write, and I've been really busy the last few weeks, which is why the delay.  Hopefully I'll find a few hours to produce more soon!

Thanks,

Scott

Tuesday, October 9, 2007 10:12 AM by ScottGu

Hi Denis,

>>>>>> Is there a decided list of final features/functionality that will definately exist in .NET 3.5 though?  Which features could we use with some degree of certainty right now?

Unfortunately I don't know of a decided final list - although in general pretty much everything in Beta2 will make the final release.  There are a few LINQ to SQL API naming changes - but the semantics remain the same.

Hope this helps,

Scott

Tuesday, October 9, 2007 10:13 AM by ScottGu

Hi Softmind,

>>>>> When can we expect your blog on MVC, that you recently announced at Alt.Net.

I'll probably do a post later this week that talks about the new ASP.NET MVC Framework.  You can watch a video of me presenting it at the Alt.net conference here in the meantime: www.hanselman.com/.../ScottGuMVCPresentationAndScottHaScreencastFromALTNETConference.aspx

Hope this helps,

Scott

Tuesday, October 9, 2007 8:58 PM by Sahil Malik

Scott - you just cost me fiddy bucks!! (Adam's book!)

Wednesday, October 10, 2007 5:51 PM by bradw

Usefull as always.  Thanks again, Scott.

Right off the top I was intrigued by the asp.net health monitoring.  As with many things prior to .Net 2 we created out own healthmonitoring....and if we had to do it today we'd just use the built in stuff  (in time we may just switch over).

Thursday, October 11, 2007 12:03 AM by Shola

Fantastic links! I myself am about to begin learning AJAX, and I'm torn between these 2 books:

ASP.NET AJAX in Action (The one currently recommended on your blog)

I feel like I can't lose, but if you don't mind, which of the two would you recommend?

Thursday, October 11, 2007 12:08 PM by GeorgeZh

Thursday, October 11, 2007 2:32 PM by ScottGu

Hi Shola,

>>>>>> I myself am about to begin learning AJAX, and I'm torn between these 2 books: ASP.NET AJAX in Action (The one currently recommended on your blog) and Professional ASP.NET 2.0 AJAX - Programmer to Programmer (The one you gave a great Amazon review for)

They are both really good books IMO.  The ASP.NET AJAX in Action came out recently and goes into a little more depth than the Professional ASP.NET 2.0 AJAX one (although this later is a fantastic introduction text).  If you are looking to go a little deeper you might want to go for the ASP.NET AJAX in Action one.

Hope this helps,

Scott

Thursday, October 11, 2007 2:32 PM by ScottGu

Hi George,

>>>>> Hi Scott - Can "Health Monitoring" be used in a Console/Window Application? Thanks a lot!

Unfortunately I think "Health Monitoring" is ASP.NET specific - so can't be used in a console/Windows app.

Sorry!

Scott

Saturday, October 13, 2007 10:28 AM by Mike

Hi Scott!

Your presentation at alt.net conference was very good, I look forward very much to the beta of the MVC Framework. I've read that the MVC Framework should come after Visual Studio 2008 as a plugin, but when can we developers begin to use the new MVC Framework as a beta or something like that in our project?

// Mike

Thursday, October 18, 2007 3:29 PM by Josh Stodola

In response to Vikram...

>> They tend to take several hours to write, and I've been really busy the last few weeks, which is why the delay.  Hopefully I'll find a few hours to produce more soon! <<

Take your time!  The effort certainly shows and it will always be worth the wait.  I'd take quality over quantity anyday.

I'm very disappointed to say that I will be unable to attend your keynote tomorrow at the HDC.  I am getting my wisdom teeth pulled.  So disappointed.  I hope you can make it back to Nebraska sometime, and I hope you enjoy your time here.

Best of luck...

Thursday, October 18, 2007 6:42 PM by Walter

Some firewalls block/filter-out any .dll files coming from the internet, then pages with Silverlight 1.1 break or don't display correctly.

Wouldn't it be really good that Silverlight assembly files have a .net extension instead of a .dll extension ?

Monday, October 29, 2007 3:20 AM by Mohit Dwivedi