Slides from my ASP.NET Connections Orlando Talks

Last week I presented at the ASP.NET Connections Conference in Orlando.  I gave a general session talk on Monday, and then two breakout talks later that day.  You can download my slides+samples below:

General Session

The slides for my keynote can be downloaded here

In the talk I demonstrated how to debug the .NET Framework source code.  You can learn how to set this up with VS 2008 here

I also demonstrated building a site using the new ASP.NET Dynamic Data support - which you can learn more about here.  I also demonstrated using the new ASP.NET MVC Framework - which you can learn more about here.

I also showed off the new Hard Rock Memorabilia site built with Silverlight 2.  You can try out the Hard Rock application yourself here.  You can learn more about Silverlight from my links page here.

Building .NET Applications with Silverlight

The slides + demos for Silverlight breakout talk can be downloaded here.

You can learn more about Silverlight from my links page here.  In particular, I recommend reading my tutorial posts here and here.

ASP.NET MVC

The slides + demos for my ASP.NET MVC talk can be downloaded here.

You can learn more about the latest ASP.NET MVC source refresh here.  Stephen Walther also just posted a really good set of slides + demos from his post conference tutorial on ASP.NET MVC here.

Hope this helps,

Scott

Published Sunday, April 27, 2008 9:51 PM by ScottGu
Filed under: , , , ,

Comments

# re: Slides from my ASP.NET Connections Orlando Talks

Monday, April 28, 2008 2:08 AM by ManInUSA

It was my first time at one of these conferences, the last conference I had gone to was for VBits and that was before dotnet 1.0 had been released. Three days of my life I would never get back, that is until this past week, where I really thought it was a well spent three days and learned quite a bit.

Thought the opening sesssion was good, I didn't go to your other two sessions, but from what I heard they were pretty good. Silverlight looks like a really cool piece of technology, and I hope in time that it is built to handle search engine optimization. Which seems to be the latest craze these days.

Still thanks for the great conference.

Monday, April 28, 2008 2:19 AM by Imran Hussain

Boss you are winsome and thanks for such valuable slides

Monday, April 28, 2008 3:06 AM by Hemant

Great set of Collection.

Monday, April 28, 2008 4:12 AM by Phillip Johnson

The Hardrock Cafe site is awesome... looking forward to seeing what people create once they get into the power of Silverlight... also not looking forward to seeing some bad UIs as people try to squeeze in features because they think its cool to have on their site but that just don't add to the usability.

Monday, April 28, 2008 5:11 AM by egoZd

I have using silverlight2.0 to made a project ,it's have a file share moudle. The designer can upload some files to server. And i want on the other side the the manufacturing manager can download it to local computer(it seemed SL2 do not support to directly save file on local filesystem) ,and view it .Does it posible.

thanks a lot.

Monday, April 28, 2008 6:01 AM by peter

i want to throw my coin as bob did in mz

Monday, April 28, 2008 8:07 AM by Selva

Thanks a lot for your most valuable slides... Richness of the web application is improving day by day. its very interesting to update ourself in the dynamic environment...

Monday, April 28, 2008 8:40 AM by Shane

Thanks for posting Scott.

Monday, April 28, 2008 8:51 AM by vik20000in

As always great

Monday, April 28, 2008 10:30 AM by Roger

Scott: thanks for the post, I wish I could have made the trip to Orlando this year.

Could you post the answers to your "common questions" slide? Thanks in advance.

Should I use WebForms or MVC?

Difference between MVC and MVP?

Do I have to write <%= %> code in my view?

What about AJAX?

How fast/scalable is it?

When will it ship?

Monday, April 28, 2008 11:06 AM by Miguel Madero

edoZd,

You can have access to the file, if you use IsolatedStorage you can save and use files directly from your application. The workflow could be something like one side uses the UploadFileDialog, process it on the client if needed, upload it to the server, then on the other side, you download the file, write it to the Isolated Storage, as a Cache if you will, then open it an use it directly from the client, save local copies and upload the updated version if needed.

The drawback of this approach is that Isolated Storage uses a private directory, so can't be used by other apps.

Monday, April 28, 2008 12:16 PM by tech2neo

Can we expect that silverlight will be integrated with new version of IE or with vista? so when any end user upgrades browser(IE) or OS(vista) then by default it will support XAML and people don't have to download it separately.

Regards,

Hardik Joshi(tech2hard@hotmail.com)

Monday, April 28, 2008 12:40 PM by Mohan Babu

Dear Scott,

Thanks for posting the slides and demos to the group.

You really stand outstanding in information sharing and enabling the group to learn and develop the skills.

Rgds,

Mohan

Monday, April 28, 2008 11:01 PM by defaultexp

thanks u so much about this article!

Monday, April 28, 2008 11:16 PM by egoZd

Miguel Madero sir.

Thanks for you reply .

I want to decription my situation again.

Yes  I can save it on isolation storage ,But how can i customers found the saved file from local filesystem,i mean is where the file been saved.

Your know my customers can share ppt,word,excel,dwg ect files. They can open ppt,word,excel directly from IE,but they could open dwg file(autocad file format),so i need him could select to save it to a local  file system .so he can go there and found it then use autocad to open it .(autocad just a example maybe 3dsmax something),So if i could not the actually location of the isolation storage ,I think you suggestion is also a solution ,however i can told my customers to found it at that folder.

Thanks a lot.

Tuesday, April 29, 2008 4:16 AM by raffaeu

Le slide della mia presentazione ad Orlando.

Tuesday, April 29, 2008 7:07 AM by NoleFan

Hey Scott.  Sorry I missed the conference, but I've got to pick and choose my company paid conferences and my fave is PDC.  The PDC 2008 RSS has been dead for some time.  Do you have any info or could you point me to any good info beyond the location and date for PDC 2008?  Much appreciated.  Thanks, -Dan

Saturday, May 10, 2008 2:48 PM by Dave

Ha, I just went to the hardrock memorabilia site have the latest silverlight plugin in safari and asks to install.

Also could you post your slides to slidshare or something like it?

Thanks

Thursday, May 29, 2008 2:55 AM by Prasad p

Hi Scott,

We are still using in Office 2003 client in our office.

So I am unable to open your valuable articles in the .pptx  format.

It would be great if you can provide those ASP.NET Connections & MVC decks in the Office 2003, .ppt format.

Thanks

prasad p,

Gachibowli,

Hyderabad,INDIA

Monday, June 2, 2008 3:02 AM by Abhi

Thanks for your slides.

Great sets of collections.

Regards,