ASP.NET MVC Support with Visual Web Developer 2008 Express

Last week I blogged about the ASP.NET MVC Preview 3 release.  One important thing I forgot to mention about this release is that you can now use it with both Visual Studio 2008 as well as the free Visual Web Developer 2008 Express edition.

The SP1 release of Visual Web Developer 2008 Express adds support for both class library projects as well as web application projects (previously only web site projects could be used with it).  This new support is useful in itself, as well as in enabling both ASP.NET MVC and Silverlight project support with VWD Express.  If you install the Visual Web Developer Express SP1 Beta you can start using ASP.NET MVC Preview 3 with it immediately.

Important: ASP.NET MVC Preview 3 does not require SP1 to be installed if you are using Visual Studio 2008.  ASP.NET MVC Preview 3 will work with both VS 2008 and VS 2008 SP1 just fine.

You can learn more about the new VWD Express support for ASP.NET MVC from the VS Web Tools team blog here.  This post also includes a free web download that provides ASP.NET MVC Test project support for NUnit-based unit tests.  You can use these NUnit project templates with both Visual Studio 2008 as well as with Visual Web Developer Express 2008.

Hope this helps,

Scott

Published Sunday, June 1, 2008 6:50 PM by ScottGu
Filed under: , , ,

Comments

# re: ASP.NET MVC Support with Visual Web Developer 2008 Express

Sunday, June 1, 2008 11:42 PM by softmind

Hello Scott,

IronRuby now runs rails as per demonstration at RailsConf 2008. This is a major milestone achieved by MSFT.

Sorry for troubling you always with my questions regarding dynamic languages, But the fact is... I always wanted dynamic language support within my .Net 3.5 framework and finally my prayers are heard.

Cant wait more to try my hands on this.

SoftMind Technology

Monday, June 2, 2008 12:17 AM by ScottGu

Hi Softmind,

>>>>>>>> Congratulations to your team. Now Asp.Net will be used by 4 communities (1) C# (2) VB.Net (3) IronRuby and (4) IronPython.  I would like to know more about your plans for supporting this this 2 new languages to VS Express 2008. I personally think, the support for this two languages will be welcomed by mass developers, who are keen to enter .Net with their Python and Ruby background.

I believe we will be showing using ASP.NET MVC with IronRuby and IronPython later this week at TechEd.  I don't think we've finalized what the tooling support will be - but you will be able to use these as language options with ASP.NET.

Hope this helps,

Scott

Monday, June 2, 2008 1:41 AM by Adam

Any ideas??

Monday, June 2, 2008 2:50 AM by Abhi

Great,

This is the very cool feature..

Fine to hear that MVC support in VS 2008 SP1 and also without SP1.

Monday, June 2, 2008 3:23 AM by guilin_gavin

Thank you very much!

Monday, June 2, 2008 3:52 AM by egoZd

Scottu sir

Does this my problem or just some bug of webclient!!

When webclient run as this procedure can not download the right thing.

1.Upload a file to server with http.

2.Download file with webclient and save to isolatestorge.(Right now it work well)

3.Upload a new edition of the file to server(It been successfully upload,bz I have opened it and view the content)

4.Download the file again with webclient (It could not work well now ,The downloaded file remain as same as the old version,Not the uploaded one)

It seem webclient using some buffer to process file ,so maybe i need to clear the buffer manual first?

Best Regard

Monday, June 2, 2008 4:03 AM by ailonid

Hi Scott,

devblog.ailon.org/.../Why-is-it-so-Fing-Difficult-to-Buy-Visual-Studio!.aspx

Thanks,

Alan.

Monday, June 2, 2008 4:16 AM by NaibStilgar

As a great fan of Express Editions I am really glad these features are added at last. Especially the lack of class library projects was a great drawback of Visual Web Developer.

I've think that we're not in 90s anymore and IDEs should be free. While I think Visual Studio is the greatest IDE out there, there are tools that are almost as good like Eclipse and JDeveloper. In any case the price difference is not justified. I hope Visual Studio Express becomes the stepping stone for making higher editions of VS a free download.

Monday, June 2, 2008 7:41 AM by Arnoud van Bers

Hi Scott..

Any Silverlight news... (please? ;)

Monday, June 2, 2008 8:05 AM by What do I do with this error

Server Error in '/WebSite1' Application.

Configuration Error

Description: An error occurred during the processing of a configuration file required to service this request. Please review the specific error details below and modify your configuration file appropriately.

Parser Error Message: Could not load file or assembly 'System.ServiceModel, Version=3.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified. (C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Config\web.config line 194)

Source Error:

Line 192:            <add name="Profile" type="System.Web.Profile.ProfileModule"/>

Line 193:            <add name="ErrorHandlerModule" type="System.Web.Mobile.ErrorHandlerModule, System.Web.Mobile, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a"/>

Line 194:          <add name="ServiceModel" type="System.ServiceModel.Activation.HttpModule, System.ServiceModel, Version=3.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089"/>

Line 195:        </httpModules>

Line 196:

Source File: C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Config\web.config    Line: 194

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.1433; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.1433

Monday, June 2, 2008 8:36 AM by NaibStilgar

Monday, June 2, 2008 9:14 AM by Steve Gentile

Great news - thanks Scott.

It's especially good to see the IronRuby/IronPython moving along with asp.net mvc - this will make for a even 'greater' mvc framework with this dynamic language capability

Monday, June 2, 2008 10:56 AM by Paul

Scott,

Monday, June 2, 2008 4:34 PM by mnn888

Hi,

Thanks

Tuesday, June 3, 2008 12:40 AM by ScottGu

Hi Adam,

>>>>>> Do you have to uninstall vs2008 web dev express first before installing the beta??  Because i can't get past the 3.5 sp1 part of the install. It just hangs and finally dumps.

You shouldn't need to.  If you can send me email (scottgu@microsoft.com) I can have someone look into it for you and figure out what the issue is.

Thanks,

Scott

Tuesday, June 3, 2008 12:41 AM by ScottGu

Hi Alan,

>>>>>> Could you, please, do something about the problem with upgrading Visual Studio 2008 Trial described here

Thanks,

Scott

Tuesday, June 3, 2008 12:42 AM by ScottGu

Hi Arnoud,

>>>>>>>> Any Silverlight news... (please? ;)

We'll have some Silverlight news shortly. :-)

Thanks,

Scott

Tuesday, June 3, 2008 12:43 AM by ScottGu

>>>>>>> What do I do with this error

This looks like you might be trying to run a .NET 3.5 application on a .NET 2.0 systems that doesn't have it installed.

Thanks,

Scott

Tuesday, June 3, 2008 12:45 AM by ScottGu

Hi NaibStilgar,

>>>>>>> Will VWD Express be able to open solutions created with Visual Studio Pro that contain class library projects or it will only work with class libraries projects created by VWD Express itself? Right now it only loads the web projects and gives an error for the class libraries.

Yes - the solution files should be able to open class library and web application projects just fine across both Visual Studio and Visual Web Developer Express (once SP1 is installed).

Thanks,

Scott

Tuesday, June 3, 2008 12:47 AM by ScottGu

Hi Paul,

>>>>>>>> One thing that I noticed is that with SP1 this is the first time that I couldn't have both VS and VWD installed on the same machine.  I realize that this is not a normal requirement, but as a developer who also teaches, I prefer dev'ing using VS2k8 Pro, but teaching in VWD (so that students can be assured that I'm not doing anything they can't do w/ the free product).  I can work around it w/ VMs, but it was just a surprise that the VS team would add in that restriction kind of on the sly (or maybe I just didn't see it published anywhere)

We actually require that both VS and VWD have SP1 installed, or neither of them have SP1 installed.  So if you download the SP1 for both VS 2008 and Visual Web Developer Express it will work fine side by side.  The reason for requiring both SPs to be installed is because there are some shared binary files between the two products - and so keeping them consistent is required.

Hope this helps,

Scott

Tuesday, June 3, 2008 12:48 AM by ScottGu

Hi Mnn888,

>>>>>>>> I have an existing WebSite Project and didn't want to convert it to WebApplication. So I installed MVC without SP1 on VWD Express 2008. I then merge the web.config, put the Controllers in the APP_Code, and added a .* extension mapping in iis 5.1.  I did some Routing and as far as I can tell it works.  So is there anything else that might break?

Yes - you can do this as well and use ASP.NET MVC with a web-site project.

Hope this helps,

Scott

Tuesday, June 3, 2008 12:52 AM by ScottGu

Hi Tim,

>>>>>>>> So, I won't be downloading SP1.  But the free products you provide have taught me how to code and, when it comes right down to it, I am sincerely grateful that you will be updating the Express version of Visual Studio, notwithstanding my occasional frustration.

Sorry you are running into these setup issues. I agree this is definitely an area we need to improve - and it is something we are focusing on making better.  Once SP1 is released we'll have an option to download a version of Visual Web Developer 2008 Express that already has SP1 applied - so that you don't need to run it separately.

Hope this helps,

Scott

Tuesday, June 3, 2008 1:14 AM by ailonid

Hi Scott,

Thanks for the reply

>>> Thanks for forwarding this - I will follow up with the setup team to try and understand what they are running into.

However the issue is not with installation but with the fact that it's just isn't possible to buy a key online to convert VS2008 Trial to a "normal" version even though it's stated in several places on Microsoft's site that it's an option. And the "Upgrade" button in VS "About" dialog leads to a missing location (Content not found).

Best regards,

Alan.

Tuesday, June 3, 2008 8:06 AM by Paul

>>>>> We actually require that both VS and VWD have SP1 installed, or neither of them have SP1 installed

Scott, this does not map to my experience with the install.  I had no problem installing VS 2k8 SP 1 while VWD (Sp0) was installed, but VWD SP1 would not install after VS 2k8 SP 1 was installed.

Wednesday, June 4, 2008 9:22 AM by Andy Scott

Hi Scott,

You mentioned in the last post that you would be posting a comprehensive MVC tutorial ? Is this still coming ?

Thanks,

Andy

Wednesday, June 4, 2008 1:50 PM by Deepak Chawla

I use the MVP model provided by the Web Client Software Factory.

How does this model differ to the above.

Thursday, June 5, 2008 12:43 AM by kanagaraj

Can you explain about this..?

Friday, June 6, 2008 9:37 AM by slyi

Scott you say "Silverlight project support with VWD Express". When will this appear?

Monday, June 9, 2008 9:08 AM by Bruno 'Shine' Figueiredo

Hi Scott.

First off all, great work with the MVC framework.

Regarding the usage of the MVC with the VWD, i'm having troubles getting it working "together" with the Dynamic Data assemblies. It seems that the Dynamic Data Assemblies are using a later version of the System.Web.Abstractions and the System.Web.Routing assemblies.

This is the error i get:

Assembly 'System.Web.DynamicData, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35' uses 'System.Web.Abstractions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35' which has a higher version than referenced assembly 'System.Web.Abstractions, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35' c:\Program Files\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\v3.5\System.Web.DynamicData.dll

Any solution to this?

Best Regards,

Bruno

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 6:47 AM by abilgaiyan

Hi Scott,

The mvc project runs in vs 2008 but fails to run in iis 5.1 giving error (HTTP 404 - File not found).

Thanks

Ajay

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 9:48 AM by Steve

Will you be adding designer support for the Html helpers in the future?

Thursday, June 26, 2008 1:31 PM by karpach96

Great, when do you plan to release Visual Studio 2008 SP1?