Silverlight 4 demos from my PDC Keynote now available

[In addition to blogging, I’m also now using Twitter for quick updates and to share links. Follow me at: twitter.com/scottgu]

Last month I gave a Silverlight 4 keynote at the PDC conference.  You can watch my keynote online here (my part of the keynote starts at the 53:30 mark in the video).

I showed off a number of fun demos during the keynote that highlighted some of new features coming in Silverlight 4.  Today we posted the samples online (with code) so that you can download and run them locally on your own machines.

Keynote Demos

Below are some details about each of the demos now available for download:

PhotoBooth Application

The PhotoBooth application demonstrates some of the fun things you can do with the new WebCam and Microphone support in Silverlight 4.  It allows you to record videos and take photos within the browser – and then optionally apply effects to them (for example: the bulge effect below).  For kicks you can publish a photo of any of the pictures to Twitter :-)

image

BarCode Scanner

The BarCode Scanner application also uses the new WebCam support in Silverlight 4. It allows you to scan an ISBN barcode from the back of a book, and will then use Amazon web-services to look up details about the book online:

image

Rich Notepad

The rich notepad application shows off some of the new text editing features in Silverlight 4.  It allows you to edit rich text within the browser, supports Bidi text (including Arabic and Hebrew), supports both left-to-right and right-to-left control layout (RTL is show below – notice how the scroll-bar is on the left hand side of the screen), supports programmatic copy/paste to the system clipboard, custom right-click context menus, printing, and drag/drop of files from the desktop into the browser to edit:

image

HTML Hosting

The HTML Hosting application shows off using the new Silverlight 4 webbrowser control in an out of browser application (note: you must run the application out of the browser for it to work).  It allows you to use the control both interactively (meaning you can click the HTML within it and run it like an application).  It also allows you to use the hosted HTML as a brush that you can apply to other Silverlight controls. For fun you can click the MSDN.com tab below and you’ll get rick-rolled to YouTube.  You can still use the HTML as a brush and carve it up into a jigsaw – even though the video is still playing (using Flash hosted within the HTML):

image

Learn More

Keep an eye on Tim Heuer’s blog as well as John Papa’s blog.  They post regularly about Silverlight, and will be doing some blog posts in the near future that cover the above applications in more detail.

Summary

You can download the keynote demos here (source code + VS project file included with each sample).  They work with the public Silverlight 4 Beta + SL4 VS Tools Support.  They provide a nice way to relive the keynote on your own machine, as well as show off the demos to friends.

Hope this helps,

Scott

P.S. The Facebook application we showed in the keynote will also be available for download in the future.  We are still adding more features to it and polishing it up – I’ll do a blog post about it as soon as it is available.

Published Wednesday, December 16, 2009 9:56 PM by ScottGu

Comments

# re: Silverlight 4 demos from my PDC Keynote now available

Thursday, December 17, 2009 1:59 AM by Arun

Thanks Scott. I'm really excited about Silverlight 4, especially the feature to execute SL as a native desktop application. Is there any time-frame when we can start building application to go-live.

Thursday, December 17, 2009 2:42 AM by maccutchan

As of 07:41 GMT the links don't work Scott :-(

Thursday, December 17, 2009 2:52 AM by jack.niu

Nice, I like the 'HTML Puzzle' better

Thursday, December 17, 2009 3:45 AM by Alex Blount

Great demo's and Silverlight 4 looks like it is going to be a great product.

Thursday, December 17, 2009 8:00 AM by Steve Gentile

Hi Scott - great stuff.

Why is the web browser control limited to offline applications ?

Thanks

Thursday, December 17, 2009 8:28 AM by Webdiyer

Silverlight 4 is a very exciting technology, I will learn it as soom as possible!

Thursday, December 17, 2009 9:38 AM by Joe

Thanks Scott!  Great stuff.  Looking forward to playing around with this.

Thursday, December 17, 2009 10:49 AM by Marcos Tabaj

Hi Scott,

Thanks for the samples, they are really great.

I have a question about the RichTextBox. I need to embedd videos within the RTB. Does SL 4 support this?

If not, how can I get this behaviour?

Thanks in advance,

Marcos

Thursday, December 17, 2009 3:52 PM by nyankov

Hi Scott,

I tried to open PhotoBooth Application with VS2010 Beta 2. I tried also with Expression Blend Preview for .NET 4. I didn't succeed to build the example neither.

Any idea?

Best regards,

Nikola

Friday, December 18, 2009 6:27 PM by Klaus Graefensteiner

PDC2009 really rocked. My highlight was Silverlight 4. Getting my hands on the demos is awesome.

Monday, December 21, 2009 8:40 AM by can celk

Hi Scott,

Silverlight is getting more and more exiting!

Why is the webbrowser control only available in the out of browser mode?

thanks,

-can

Monday, December 21, 2009 9:43 AM by hncdyjh

Please provide SaveFileDialog's DefaultFileName property in Silverlight 4 !!!

Tuesday, December 22, 2009 9:52 AM by Nate

I like how the screenshot for the barcode scanner shows it running in Firefox...

Wednesday, December 23, 2009 12:43 AM by amethyst

Hi Scott,I'am doing project about SilverLight4 ,I want to know  ,How Achieve video talk in silverLight4

Monday, December 28, 2009 6:02 PM by z3lanh.com

Can I broadcast my webcam using Silverlight 4 and MS Media Server?

Thanks and Congratulations,

Sunday, January 3, 2010 10:29 AM by Troels Richter

Sunday, January 3, 2010 1:57 PM by ScottGu

@Toels,

>>>>>> I've been looking forward to the chrome-less window support, but I can't find it anywhere in the silvelright 4 beta. Can anyone help or is it actually missing?

The chromeless window support isn't in the beta - that is the one feature we announced that isn't in yet.  It will be in the RC and final release though.

Hope this helps,

Scott

Thursday, January 14, 2010 5:39 PM by tim

Scott, that's fantastic!

Friday, January 15, 2010 1:41 AM by Stephen

fantastic!!!

great job!!!

Wednesday, January 20, 2010 10:04 PM by khun_panya

Any news for the Silverlight for mobile?

Wednesday, February 3, 2010 11:22 AM by Sam Stange

iPhone + Silverlight? Anything beyond just streaming? Any story or lessons learned from dealing with Apple? It would be a big boost in Silverlight adoption.