Silverlight 4 Released

The final release of Silverlight 4 is now available.

[In addition to blogging, I am also now using Twitter for quick updates and to share links. Follow me at: twitter.com/scottgu]

What is in the Silverlight 4 Release

Silverlight 4 contains a ton of new features and capabilities.  In particular we focused on three scenarios with this release:

• Further enhancing media support
  • Building great business applications
  • Enabling out of the browser experiences

On Tuesday I gave a 60 minute keynote about Silverlight 4 which showed off many of the new features and capabilities now available.  You can watch my keynote to learn more about Silverlight 4 and see a ton of great demos of it in action.

Also check out these three great posts by Tim Heuer that talk about the new features and provide a guide to the new Silverlight 4 capabilities:

Also read David Anson’s great Silverlight 4 Toolkit post to learn more about the new controls and functionality also available within the Silverlight Toolkit release we also made available today.  Visit this page to learn more about the new Pivot functionality in Silverlight 4 – which makes it really easy to visualize and interact with collections of images using Silverlight.

Lastly – make sure to visit the www.silverlight.net web-site and visit the “Get Started” section to find free tutorials that you can use.

Download and Install Silverlight 4 Tools for VS 2010

To develop Silverlight 4 applications you should first download and install Visual Studio 2010 or download and install the free Visual Web Developer 2010 Express edition.

Then install the Silverlight Tools RC2 for Visual Studio 2010.  This setup includes the Silverlight 4 Developer Runtime, Silverlight 4 SDK, RIA Services, and VS 2010 tools support.  Once installed you can do File->New Project and choose Silverlight Application to create your first Silverlight 4 project.  You can then use the new WYSIWYG Silverlight designer in Visual Studio 2010 to design and build rich Silverlight 4 applications.

image

Important: If you previously installed the Silverlight 4 Beta or RC build on your machine, please make sure to go into Add/Remove programs and uninstall the “Update for Visual Studio 2010 (KB976272)” package prior to installing the Silverlight Tools RC2 for Visual Studio 2010 setup.

Note that while Silverlight 4 is released, the “Silverlight 4 Tools for VS 2010” is currently in “RC2” mode (meaning we are going to keep an eye out for any remaining issues before finally calling it done).  We’ll update the tools to be “final” in a few weeks once we verify that no last minute issues/bugs remain.

Download and Install Expression Blend 4 Release Candidate

You can also download and install the Expression Blend 4 RC to create and design great Silverlight 4 applications.

Blend contains “Sketchflow” support – which makes it really easy to rapidly prototype ideas and applications.  To learn more about Sketchflow watch this 90 second video of it in action.

Summary

Today’s release is the fourth release of Silverlight that we’ve shipped in the last 2.5 years.  The team has done a great job of advancing it quickly and staying focused.

Today’s Silverlight 4 release opens up a ton of new opportunities to build great solutions for both consumers and business scenarios.  We are looking forward to seeing what you build with it!

Hope this helps,

Scott

Published Thursday, April 15, 2010 11:58 PM by ScottGu

Comments

# re: Silverlight 4 Released

Friday, April 16, 2010 3:14 AM by Rahul Chauhan

I am constant follower of your posts. Looking forward to Microsoft's Silverlight 4. I will be testing it shortly.

Regards

Rahul Chauhan

Friday, April 16, 2010 3:15 AM by Pieter Germishuys

Absolutely fantastic Scott!

The amount of effort your and your team put into the development and the frequent releases, just shows us that you are committed to making our lives as developers easier.

Friday, April 16, 2010 3:52 AM by Tuomas Hietanen

And F# support for Silverlight 4? :) Nice work!

Friday, April 16, 2010 3:59 AM by Tom Hellstrom

Looking good!

Can you use, build and so on in VS2008 or is it strictly VS2010?

Friday, April 16, 2010 5:23 AM by Lee Englestone

Hmm. I have to give a talk on Silverlight to my colleagues in a couple of weeks. Best get learning it!

-- Lee

Friday, April 16, 2010 6:06 AM by Ming

Is it any limitation develop SL4 in Visual Web Devloper 2010 compare to VS2010 ??

Friday, April 16, 2010 6:37 AM by Suprotim Agarwal

Kudos to the entire Silverlight team for making this possible!

Friday, April 16, 2010 6:41 AM by inmykingdom

@Tom Hellstrom

-> "VS2008 cannot be used for Silverlight 4 development."

From Tim Heuer's post: timheuer.com/.../download-silverlight-4-released.aspx

Friday, April 16, 2010 7:21 AM by Vijet

Great job Microsoft. Keep it up.

Friday, April 16, 2010 7:33 AM by Parag

Great news. So now I have to decide whether I should upgrade to VS 2010 RTM or not. The reason is If I do upgrade I loose support of Windows Phone 7 app that I am working on. On the other to move to Silverlight Release I have to move to RTM :(

Friday, April 16, 2010 7:40 AM by Fred

First of all congratulations to the whole team. Are datsets supported in Silverlight 4? I have found no information on this matter. If not please Scott put them into the next release of silverlight. It would enable a lot of companies to reuse their existing web services which rely on datasets as input / ouput parameter

Friday, April 16, 2010 7:41 AM by ZippyV

Why is there a Silverlight shortcut in my Startmenu? If that configuration app is really necessary it should be in the control panel, not my startmenu.

Friday, April 16, 2010 9:32 AM by Jon Shern

Thanks for all of the hard work!!!

It is greatly appreciated.

Friday, April 16, 2010 11:10 AM by Alexandre Grenier

Hey Scott! I knew from the beginning that with your involvement in SL, it just has to be the future... well after 2 1/2 years of following the progress, I am happy today to say that I find Silverlight has finally matured enough for my company to now start using all the SL knowledge and experiments we've built over the past couple years and build the products we have planned but did not want to build in HTML!

This is fantastic news... we can kick off our development as soon as everything is out of RC... I can't wait to show you what we're working on... thanks again!

Friday, April 16, 2010 11:43 AM by Bharath

Great to hear this news and my full fledged learning on silverlight going to start now...

Friday, April 16, 2010 11:50 AM by Jeffrey Langdon

Keep up the good work.  Very cool implementing SL4 with MVVM. Thanks.

Friday, April 16, 2010 12:08 PM by BigDubb

I downloaded Expression Blend 4 RC last night and installed, and the application doesn't even start up. as soon as the initial popup PRojects- Examples etc. pops, the tool says it's encountered and error and shuts down.

Friday, April 16, 2010 12:53 PM by Kelly Brownsberger

Very exciting!

Does VS2010 have profiling capabilities for SL4?  I thought I heard that was coming, but it doesn't seem to be present in my install.

Friday, April 16, 2010 3:51 PM by chadbr

What is the RTM build number?

# re: Silverlight 4 Released

Saturday, April 17, 2010 10:47 AM by A.B.

Scott,

Is Silverlight different from WPF? What's the difference?

Saturday, April 17, 2010 11:51 AM by Majid

Where can I download your keynote video about Silverlight 4 instead of watching it online?

Thanks

Saturday, April 17, 2010 1:06 PM by Just Wondering

Find a Release in a RC package?

Serious?

Can someone confirm that the RC package includes the Release SDK of Silverlight 4.0

Saturday, April 17, 2010 5:29 PM by VistaDB

Wow, the speed at which you guys are releasing Silverlight versions is incredible.  The poor book publishers must hate you for obsoleting their books within a few months of them coming out.

Will there ever be a .1 version?  Or is it just off the races and we will soon have Silverlight 11?

Sunday, April 18, 2010 6:14 AM by Marcus Andersson

Nice release!

However, I feel like it's going too fast. One cannot possible learn everything...

Sunday, April 18, 2010 9:48 AM by nomercy007

Why is Silverlight Tools for Visual Studio 2010 RC2 if Silverlight 4 is officially released? same for Blend 4.

I don't know when the RC cycle will end. I didn't try to learn SL up to now as it keeps changing in a rapid speed. Better focus on more mature technologies for the time being.

Sunday, April 18, 2010 10:53 AM by James Alexander

Scott,

Thanks for laying out the tools and blend. I was able to use it to know what order I ought to install things in.

Monday, April 19, 2010 1:49 AM by habdulrauf

You and your team is doing great job.

Monday, April 19, 2010 4:37 PM by Katie7

Can you please point me towards some good books on WPF/Silverlight Styling.

Wednesday, April 21, 2010 10:43 AM by Walter Gray

Hey scott, maybe you can help. Installed SL 4 and now every page with SL wants me to install, but then it tells me I have the version needed already installed.

Saturday, April 24, 2010 8:10 PM by RBeaubien

Scott,

Running .net4/Silverlight 4 on Win2003/IIS6 64-bit.  Everything says to change the ASP.NET page settings under website properties to 4.0, but that page doesn't seem to exist on the 64-bit version of IIS6.  Where do I go from here?  No answers to be found on MSDN so far.

Thanx,

Monday, April 26, 2010 4:37 PM by Naveed Saqib

Great Job Silverlight Team and Scott! Keep it up

Monday, May 3, 2010 11:38 AM by Brant

Silverlight is faster at cached rendering, if you will type into your flash movies text boxes you will notice its only rendering one page, it duplicates what you enter into the data areas all the way down hundresd of times rather than allowing unique data, so flash is ONLY drawing about 15 items.  Silverlight caches properly by default and will allow you to enter data into each text box instead of one group and copying the entire control =P.

Essentially Flash isnt designe from the ground up to work with data, Silverlight is.

Thursday, May 13, 2010 7:32 PM by Jim

I'm having the same problem as Walter.  After I installed 4, every site using 3 tells me I need to install SL.  When I try to it says the same version is already installed.

Can anyone help with this?

Wednesday, May 19, 2010 5:17 AM by Chris

Hi,

When will clients be able to view my SL4 site without having to install the developer tools? Is the client runtime available?